Harddrive problems.

2 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm new here and all that, so hopefully this is in the right section.

Anyway, I spent most of last night trying to DD deadmoo onto my mac harddrive. It's a rather old drive; 6GB Maxtor, the original one that came with a PowerMac G3. I had it plugged into my Windows machine to do the disk copy. I ended up moving it back and forth a bit, and ended copying/partitioning/formatting it twice (didn't know skip=63 would skip the bootloader :whistle: ). Anyway, plugged it back in to the Windows machine to try again, but this time my master drive with windows on it wasn't detected properly. Size was read wrong by the BIOS, and even the drive model was garbled. The mac drive was read fine as a slave though. Tried making the mac drive the only one in my Windows machine; this time the mac drive didn't read properly. Removed the mac drive, and made the Windows drive master again, and it read fine. I tried different primary/secondary master/slave combinations, with no luck. The weird thing is, the mac drive is read fine by the BIOS in my hackintosh.

Windows mobo: ASUS K8N-VM

Hackintosh mobo: ASUS K8V-X

The BIOS in my Windows machine has been flashed to the latest. The BIOS in the hackintosh was flashed after I bought it ~2 years ago, but hasn't been updated since.

Any suggestions? Should I just by a new drive? My theory is that I killed the mac drive from all the moving, raw-writing, and repartitioning, since it's around 8 years old now (mauf. date is 06/15/99).

Thanks.