Quad boot with shared documents

4 posts in this topic

Right now, I'm just trying to see if this would even be possible to do. It would be a pretty complicated setup, but it would definitely make my life a lot easier once it's all set up.

Ideally, I'd like to quad boot vista/xp/linux/OSX on my PC. That seems to be not too difficult based on what I've read so far. But I'd like to take it a bit further. I would like to have another partition on my drive and point all document folders to that partition and have a single shared documents "drive"

that can be accessible from any of the four OSes. In addition to that, I would like to be able to virtualize any of the other three OSes from any OS.

There are times when it makes sense for me to boot natively into one OS or the other, but most of the time I'll be running in Windows and just need to check if something works in Linux or OS X and it doesn't make sense for me to have to shut down and reboot into a different OS if I don't need to.

I know that I can virtualize Windows and Linux from each other and from OS X with now problem, but can I virtualize OS X from Linux and Windows as well?

I've had trouble with the virtualization thing. I can get XP to virtualize FC5 using VMWare, but it's a pain because of graphics drivers. I have my configuration for FC5 setup to do dual monitors (aka, extended desktop). VMWare can't do that, so in order to get FC5 to boot smoothly, I have to change the configuration file from inside XP before I boot FC5, then change it back when I'm done.

For me, virtualizing OSX inside XP using VMWare runs really slowly, and virtualizing XP inside OSX using Parallels runs extremely slowly. Also, when I boot XP inside OSX, XP complains about the system configuration has changed dramatically and it needs to be re-activated. I couldn't get VMWare Fusion to install on my OSX, I believe because my machine only has SSE2. Pain in the butt.

I haven't tried VMWare in Linux.

What I think would be really cool would be if your machine has Intel VT, so that you could use Xen. Then use Xen to boot the other operating systems, and the virtualization is done on a more hardware level. At least, I think that's possible, but I don't have the hardware necessary to do it.

I would like to have another partition on my drive and point all document folders to that partition and have a single shared documents "drive"

possible using FAT, NTFS (Mac-FUSE/FUSE/NTFS-3G), or EXT 2/3. EXT 2/3, you will need to give 777 or 755 to all files and folders.

I would like to be able to virtualize any of the other three OSes from any OS.

Currently not possible with all operating systems.