MKV Files

kn-oeien

28 posts in this topic

did you drag it to /Library/QuickTime ? Did you restart quicktime player?

also be warned that MKV files can contain realvideo and mpeg2 video which dont play or dont play well in quicktime.

+ EBML head
|+ Doc type: matroska
|+ Doc type version: 1
|+ Doc type read version: 1
+ Segment, size 8530554354
|+ Seek head (subentries will be skipped)
|+ EbmlVoid (size: 4025)
|+ Segment information
| + Timecode scale: 1000000
| + Muxing application: libebml v0.7.7 + libmatroska v0.8.1
| + Writing application: mkvmerge v2.0.2 ('You're My Flame') built on Feb 21 2007 23:40:55
| + Duration: 7829.856s (02:10:29.856000000)
| + Date: Wed Mar 28 09:29:45 2007 UTC
| + Segment UID: 0xa8 0x96 0x98 0xba 0x34 0x11 0xc3 0xa2 0x8b 0xba 0xee 0x99 0x56 0xed 0x3f 0xda
|+ Segment tracks
| + A track
|  + Track number: 1
|  + Track UID: 1
|  + Track type: video
|  + Enabled: 1
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 0
|  + MinCache: 1
|  + Timecode scale: 1.000000
|  + Max BlockAddition ID: 0
|  + Codec ID: V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
|  + Codec decode all: 1
|  + CodecPrivate, length 170
|  + Default duration: 41.708ms (23.976 fps for a video track)
|  + Language: eng
|  + Video track
|   + Pixel width: 1280
|   + Pixel height: 544
|   + Interlaced: 0
|   + Display width: 40
|   + Display height: 17
| + A track
|  + Track number: 2
|  + Track UID: 4077103522
|  + Track type: audio
|  + Enabled: 1
|  + Default flag: 1
|  + Forced flag: 0
|  + Lacing flag: 1
|  + MinCache: 0
|  + Timecode scale: 1.000000
|  + Max BlockAddition ID: 0
|  + Codec ID: A_AC3
|  + Codec decode all: 1
|  + Default duration: 32.000ms (31.250 fps for a video track)
|  + Language: und
|  + Audio track
|   + Sampling frequency: 48000.000000
|   + Channels: 6
|+ EbmlVoid (size: 1024)
|+ Cluster

This one for example encoded with x264 as shown above. Should we expect these x264 mkv encodes to work some time later or is it not possible and maybe I should start looking into converting over to m4v/mp4?

And what about the mkv with embedded subtitles? Do you think that sometime we will be able to select subs using the remote? Or maybe a global setting or aTVFILES to auto select english or whatever subs?

This is very strange, because I have a 720p sample of March of the Pengiuns which opens in quicktime, but plays very "choppily". The codecs are exactly the same as yours.

• 3 weeks later...

The beta of 1.0 of Perian is out. Seems to work really well with MKV files on OSX. Its got a new method of installation though, via a PrefPane... so not sure how you can get this onto the AppleTV.. bear in mind I am not an expert in hacking the AppleTV yet.. not even got round to buying one yet... just interested to hear if anyone can try out the Perian beta on their AppleTV's and report back..

Perian doensn't want us distributing the link, but the url is www.perian.org/_________

this blank represents a htm or html document that a beta would be hosted on

think beta

beta

beta

I got it:P

Stupid me

But too bad there is no download at this time:( Anyone else got a clue where to get it? I am really desperate, since all my files are mkv, and I have the apple tv.

and i cannot register at demonoid.com either, since the public registration is closed

Thats very strange, if i wrote perian.org/______ it only said no downloads at current time.

If i searched on google, same site came up and I got it. Thansk to everyone. Anyone got this to function on the aTV?

Well i have now installed the perian beta 1.0b4, and I get visual (video) but no sound. And the video plays choppy... what am I doing wrong? Is the aTV too low on specs to handle 720p? And then not be able to play hd videos? Then the HD ready thing apple announces it as, is just a lie?

I've been having that problem too. I don't realy know how to fix it. For 720p mkv files that are smaller than 100 mb (samples) play fine. Longer files get choppy as playback goes on. The only thing that is 100% guaranteds to work is VLC.

"From what i've learned, 720p is choppy on Appletv, and 1080p is unplayable. The specs are not good enough."

I can't even play 720p MKV's in QT on my 24" iMac!

However, in vlc, 720p/1080p play great. The only exception are those pesky DVR-MS files. 720p plays fine, but 1080i (there is no 1080p in TV) video is incredibly choppy and oh so interlaced.