watercooling systems

dark4181

37 posts in this topic

like the title says, i'm looking to WC my next rig, but i can only spend $100-$175 on the WC system. what are some good options? right now i'm leaning toward the thermaltake 735, since it's compatible with the case i'm getting

any other opinions?

Is your main purpose for chosing WC for overclocking or just normal cooling and noise?

I had a Zalman Reserator V1+ and loved it. Its an external unit, so doesn't cramp up your case and has no fans, only the internal pump.

The unit makes zero noise which is its main goal, but overclocking wasn't a problem for me.

It cooled my overclocked amd64, Geforce FX6800 and northbridge chipset better than any previous cooling solution and with, did I already mention, NO noise. :(

This unit is big, but does sure raise quesions when people see it. :)

i plan to overclock, but only very mildly (from 2.13 up to 2.5 or 2.6) ..i mainly want it because the pc will be in my bedroom, and i don't like a lot of noise while sleeping

i was looking mainly at internal kits, cuz my desk space is limited

asetek waterchill looks pretty nice, i think

My setup is all internal.

172jh3.jpg

71593823ky2.jpg

13872938vb6.jpg

i dont like kits.

setup consists of:

2x120mm radiator

2x120mm Noctua fans

D-Tek Fuzion CPU Waterblock

Aquaxtreme MP1 GPU waterblock

Swiftech mini res

Laing ddc pump

7/16" ID masterkleer tubing

was able to get my e6600 to go from 2.4ghz to 3.4ghz running below 50c with load.

My setup is all internal.

172jh3.jpg

71593823ky2.jpg

13872938vb6.jpg

i dont like kits.

setup consists of:

2x120mm radiator

2x120mm Noctua fans

D-Tek Fuzion CPU Waterblock

Aquaxtreme MP1 GPU waterblock

Swiftech mini res

Laing ddc pump

7/16" ID masterkleer tubing

was able to get my e6600 to go from 2.4ghz to 3.4ghz running below 50c with load.

very nice setup.. is that a g5 or a mac pro? btw, i didn't know that those cases were btx format?

very nice setup.. is that a g5 or a mac pro? btw, i didn't know that those cases were btx format?

neither

its a custom built pc with an atx motherboard in g5 case

It's a hack pro :)

DangerDen makes very high quality liquid cooling parts, you might want to look into what they have to offer. You can cool your system at a reasonable price but the price does go up the more stuff you cool (CPU, GPU, chipset, even your harddrive). Goodluck!

Here is my watercooled Hackintosh in a G5 case,

dscf0006.jpeg

quartera.jpeg

dscf0010.jpeg

systemprolilerha.jpeg

Uses a modified Coolermaster "Aquagate Mini" setup + Dual 120mm Radiator.

ZOMG, that is freakin awesome

If you want to go WC I would suggest that you build a custom setup. Go with all 1/2" fittings and 7/16" for the tubing, that way you'll minimize that chance of leaking. If you want, you can also use non-conductive coolant like FluidXP or PCIce, just in case you get some liquid on your stuff they won't be fried that way. Other than that just shop around for parts, Dangerden does make very good components, but you can find them for cheaper at places like Xoxide and FrozenCPU. Don't be afraid to buy used waterblocks, but I would stay away from buying used radiators and pumps as they are harder to clean and maintain. You should be able to put together a quite decent custom setup for 175.

BTW Nykwil, what block is that? D-tek Fuzion? I don't think I've ever seen that one before.

u1m2,

No this is not a Mac version but is a PC verson of the 7900 GTX 512. You are right though, Pc cards did not generally have the extension, believe it or not this extension came off a 256meg 7800 GTX made by Dell. However I think they are also available from We love Macs. I did have to flash the card with a modded rom as 512 NV cards, do not work in Hack Pro's right off the bat. While I was at it I softstrapped the rom device id to a Quadro FX 5500 (changed the device id in the rom to be the same as the 5500 then corrected other parts of the rom to account for this) and flashed the card. The Quadro FX 5500 drivers are already in OSX and the card was immediatly worked with OSX and uses the Quadro FX 5500 open GL engine obviously with Dual natit kext installed. This card blows away the Apple Quadro FX 4500! With the Quad core @ 3.2 GHz I am getting Xbench scores just into the 200's.

I am interested in getting the 8800 GTX running and have started looking at the rom, but I don't think we will see driver support in OSX untill Leopard ships. Then it should be doable.

Dark 4881,

The tray I used to mount the motherboard on is from a Coolermaster Aluminium Wave case, it can be seen here:

Click Here

I don't have any specific measurements for the hole cutout at the back of the G5 case, but once you have the Coolermaster motherboard tray it is a case of (no pun intended) of carefully measuring. Some of the standoffs from the G5 case can be used to secure the Coolermaster tray to the case and I finished off with some pop rivets at the back Anystanoffs that you don't need can be removed easily with a pair of pliers. This makes the whole mod very secure. The case comes with the correct motherboard standoffs, so no problems there. The only mod to the tray, was to remove the four lugs on the back pavel that would have interfered with the correct working of the rear G5 latch. I used aluminium angle to mount the radiator at the front of the case 15 x15 mm at the front and this was all carefully pop rivited to the radiator and two larger pieces of aluminium angle top and bottom which are in turn fixed through ther floor of the G5 case using existing G5 PS mounting holes and through the intermediate tray that supports the DVD drive.

Both 120 fans at the front have adjustable speed so are set at the slowest setting to keep things quiet, although one is set at slightly higher speed to avoid any resonance.

I am currently working on a polished stainless steel shroud to replave the black card mock up that is seen in the pictures above. I will post new pictures when I have finished this and also working on various other mods that will clean up both the visual look to try and make the case cleaner, more like the G5 case internals.

Hope this is helpfull.

Honestly, if you are looking to spend less than 100, I would just go with high end air cooling. Water cooling is a delicate thing, and requires a lot of maintainance and quality parts to reach its full potential. And high end air cooling like the Tuniq Tower or the Coolermaster Gemini will out perform most of the cheap water cooling kits you see anyway.