Getting the ati display util workin on a X86 machine

candykane

9 posts in this topic

I modified the posts so that it works!

"The ATI Displays panel is a tool from ATI that enables users to tweak some OpenGL pixel format and texture options that otherwise couldn’t be touched in OS X. Most importantly, it lets users choose antialiasing and anisotropic filtering options. ATI is pretty bad about not getting new versions out for OEM cards, so poor folks that own Mac Pros with the X1900 XT have been stuck outside. This probably also works for other Intel Macs with X1000 series chips.

Lucky for us, on November 6, ATI released a G5 X1900 card. It turns out it includes ATI Displays 4.5.9, (4.5.7 is the last thing they have officially released) which is Universal and loads right up on the Mac Pro.

Instructions

Download these files

http://users.skynet.be/jef/ATIUtilities.zip

http://users.skynet.be/jef/ATIPrefPane.zip

Now we need to trick the installer into thinking we have a PowerMac G5. The installer will use sysctl to check the hw.model attribute. We are just going to temporarily replace the sysctl binary with something that always outputs what we want. Copy it somewhere safe."

Instructions

The installer will use sysctl to check the hw.model attribute. We are just going to temporarily replace the sysctl binary with something that always outputs what we want.

I’m here with clear steps on how to do it.

1. launch the terminal application located in macintosh HD/applications/utilities.

a window will open with title “Terminal —bash_80×24” and this text

Last login: Mon Jan 28 13:48:28 on ttys001

Macintosh:~ username$

this is where we will be inputting commands.

2. type this into the terminal and then press enter :

sudo cp /usr/sbin/sysctl /usr/sbin/sysctl.real

you will be prompted for your system password, so type it in

this creates a new file, “sysctl.real” , which now has the content of the original file. Since we will be modifying the original file temporarily, we need a place to store the original.

3. type this into the terminal and then press enter:

open /usr/sbin

A folder window should pop up with a whole lot of strangely named files. These files, and the folders which contain them, are normally hidden from view by default when you get your mac. They are all small parts in a large complex web that is the operating system, and its hidden to save you the headache of moving through tons of files that are of no practical use for the vast majority of users. Still though it’s kind of interesting, a little like looking under the hood of a car.

4.find the sysctl file and then right click, and from the text menu that pops up choose get info. at the bottom of the appearing window there should be a section named “sharing and permissions”. under it are all the account names and beside them an option named privileges. Change the “everyone” account from read only to Read & Write. If it’s greyed out and you can’t change it’s because you need to unlock it. at the bottom of the page there should be a lock. Click it and enter your system password.

5. go back to terminal and type in this command: “open /usr” Now another finder window will pop up. right click the “sbin” folder and choose get info and change the sharing and permissions to “read & write” just like you did in step 4.

6. find the sysctl file again and then right click and choose “open with”, . choose the application text edit from your applications folder. when opened it should look like a long mess of characters. delete everything so that the file is completely empty. now type in only these two lines exactly:

#!/bin/sh

echo “PowerMac11,2”

then save the file.

7. go back to terminal and type in and enter this command.

sudo chmod +x /usr/sbin/sysctl

8. install the drivers as if everything is normal. it will work this time

9. type this command and enter it in the terminal

sudo mv /usr/sbin/sysctl.real /usr/sbin/sysctl

presto and all that. Hope it helps

Everything should Just Work. You’ll now have an ATI Displays preference pane where you can tweak all of the “secret” options.

this works with the mac pro's there c2d so i cant get it to work on my hackintosh but ... im a real noob when it comes to consol... i just copy paste it but cant seem to get it to work am i doing somthing wrong?

• 8 months later...

I can confirm it works on my hackintosh and X1900XT.

To clarify, in step 2, you're creating a text file that has those contents, not entering them as commands. In other words, I created a text file using vi and pasted that in, then saved it as sysctrl and changed its permissions.

Read the comments in the original post for more info.

http://www.macgeekery.com/hacks/software/a...ty_on_a_mac_pro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I downloaded your 2 files and just launched them directly without editing a thing, it seems it has installed and launches properly. However it says me "Non ATI Graphics" and list very basic stuff of my X1600 (resolution, color, refresh rate)

I downloaded your 2 files and just launched them directly without editing a thing, it seems it has installed and launches properly. However it says me "Non ATI Graphics" and list very basic stuff of my X1600 (resolution, color, refresh rate)

me too! all seems funtional without using terminal strings. To solve your problem it depends from the driver... I got the same problem with my X1900xt when I installed 10.4.8 Jas distro.... I had to upgrade the driver with Jccool's... and now it work... try wtih another ATIX1000.kekt driver...