OEM or Retail? and Tigerdirect.com Experience

7 posts in this topic

Now that I have just finished my first fully functional Hackintosh I am thinking of upgrading it a bit.

As I was looking through Tigerdirect.com I noticed that the OEM proc's are quite alot cheaper.

I guess my question is any advice on wether I should go for an OEM or retail proc, and If I do end up having to invoke the warrenty does anyone have experience RMA'ing products warrantied by Tigerdirect.

Thanks

Hi Grizaptimus:

I've mainly used NewEgg.com to build my own fully-functional OSx86 PC. I used TigerDirect for some peripherals like WebCam and External Hard Drive Cases. I've had a good experience with both vendors so far.

--danyel :thumbsdown_anim:

oem doesn't come with the fan/heatsink or a retail-type box and i'm not 100% sure about a warranty (though i think it does have one) so make sure if you buy oem you buy a compatible fan/heatsink. otherwise, they're the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I've purchased an OEM processor once from Tiger Direct and never had to send it back to them for RMA. I've never had a problem with them for my purchases so there's not much risk in doing business with them.

OEM processors come with a longer warranty than Retail processors, plus, they are cheaper than retail versions. The only difference is that it's JUST the processor and nothing else. No pamphlets, Heatsink/fan, and, worst of all, no sticker :(.

Now that I have just finished my first fully functional Hackintosh I am thinking of upgrading it a bit.

As I was looking through Tigerdirect.com I noticed that the OEM proc's are quite alot cheaper.

I guess my question is any advice on wether I should go for an OEM or retail proc, and If I do end up having to invoke the warrenty does anyone have experience RMA'ing products warrantied by Tigerdirect.

Thanks

Buy retail whenever possible as it carries a 3-year warranty. OEM have zero warranty from MFG, and you only get one from the retailer if you buy a fan/heatsink (true for Tiger atleast).