My first VMware experience...

4 posts in this topic

Hello All!

After reading all these posts about VMWare on PC's, I decided to give it a try! I had been working with Native installs from 10.4.4 thru 10.4.6 for several months now.

Here are the specs I'm working with:

Dell Optiplex GX-260

Celeron 1.7 mHz

640MB RAM

80GB Hard Drive (two partitions - Fat32 and Mac OS Extended)

Intel 82845G Integrated Graphics

SoundMax Integrated Sound

Intel PRO/100 MT Network

Software used:

Windows XP SP1

VMWare Server 1.0.2

Myzar OSx86 10.4.6

Installation:

Downloaded VMWare Server 1.0.2 from VMWare's Website (http://www.vmware.com) for free. Installed VMware Server 1.0.2. Created new Virtual Host based on FreeBSD with 392MB Memory, 10GB Virtual Hard Disk and CD-ROM (Using drive D:). After starting the FreeBSD Virtual Machine, I kept typing [F2] until I got to the BIOS. In the BIOS, I went to the Boot Menu and moved the CD-ROM Drive above the Hard Drive. From there, I Saved Changes and Exit. I was able to boot up of Myzar OSx86 10.4.6. I went through the installation (as usual). I used Disk Utility to format the Virtual Drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Then I started installing Mac OS X. The process took 1 hour and 32 minutes (no kidding!) Once the install finally finished, the system 'rebooted' and I was in the Apple Registration screen. Once I finished going through all the screens, the system finally came up.

Even though VMware and OSx86 works, I would say this virtual system runs 5 to 10 times slower than Native installation (no kidding). After this, I rebooted into Native install of OSx86 10.4.6 on this PC and expressed sigh of relief! ^_^

This is one person's experience with VMware and OSx86. What do you think?

--danyel :)

I agree with you that's a lot slower running in VMWare, but just like in my case that's my first contact with Mac, I think it's good way to try it out.

During my intallation I had some problems like Blue Screen (not in a notebook) with an old iso that I can't remember the Ver No. but yestarday I finished downloading Jas 10.4.8 AMD/Intel ppf1 & 2 (for those who are planning to do it: just look for the one with greater Seeds / Leechs ;) . . . it will work and remember to install AMD or Intel Patch regarding to your CPU, even though your CPU supports SS2 or SS3 ). It took 1 hour approx with a the iso mounted on daemon to install. I left it during the night and in the moring I did all the registration screens and the OS is up !

I restarted and boots fine...I can't believe it's working...

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences! :(

Best Regards,

MaCDo

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, MacOSX under VMware is very slow. This isn't the fault of VMware, mind you -- well, ok it is.. but it is more matter of legality.

Among other things, VMware expects the guest OS to implement drivers for its virtual hardware. MacOSX has no such drivers, because it isn't an officially supported guest OS.

Therefore, VMware ends up emulating a VESA 2.0 video card instead of having MacOSX directly drive the accelerated VMware SVGAII virtual video card.

On top of that, VMware uses a lot of tricks to get Windows to run well under it.

If EMC Inc. (makers of VMware) provided either MacOSX drivers, or accelerated VMware to work well with MacOSX, Apple would be able to make the legal argument that VMware is a technology designed to skirt Apple's copyright on its software -- which is illegal in the U.S.

Now, I believe that VMware could actually do all of this AND simultaneously defend itself legally because Darwin is Open Source. They aren't designing VMware to work well with MacOSX, but Darwin/x86. That MacOSX is essentially just a GUI on top of Darwin is a coincidence.

Some people expect Apple to release a special MacOSX that is meant to run under virtualization. I doubt they will do this. What is more probable is to make 10.6 include native virtualization right out of the gate (maybe replace Mach w/ Xen). Then they whip up a 16-core "Mac Pro+" running this 10.6, and now users can install Windows, Linux, and MacOSX into the virtual machines.

So, you buy a single 16-core Mac Pro+, slice up the CPUs and RAM and now you can install your entire network into a single Apple box. You want a Linux web server and a Windows fileserver? Done. With plenty of cores left over for DEV/FT/QA machines as well :P

hmm.. I'm making myself horny^H^H^H^Hungry just thinking about it.