19 posts in this topic

Pizza Panic

Legend of Aladdin

Bricks of Atlantis

Gold Miner Joe

Bricks of Egypt

Superstar Chefs

Spin & Play

Any ideas as none of the above work on my intel sse3 setup all work perfect tho on my intel sse2 setup and also work perfetct on my amd sse3 setup

any clues bcos to me it suggests that intel see3 is broke somewhere :)

I have the same problem with Quake 4 on my SSE Box, and initially I thought it was my AGP video card (ATI x1600)...

It will be nice if we could disable sse3 as a switch on boot-up, forcing it to only run on sse2 emulation, I wonder if this is possible?

Well, the crash (kernel) error that repeats itself with the games is the following:

0 <<00000000>> 0xffff0891 __memcpy + 241 (cpu_capabilities.h:228)

and it has to do with the kernel processing of cpu capabilities.

So clearly a kernel patch is needed, which is not unheard of, like with Linux...

Unfortunately kernel patchers do not seem to be very motivated at the moment...

If it was SSE3 related they would crash on the intel macs as well. As it seems like only a few experience this problem, i am sure it has to do with your OS X installation (or maybe something in the game). Not the kernel itself.

Reason i think its intel sse3 bcos my installations are identicle apart from the kernels 1 for sse3 and 1 for sse2

oh and on sse2 machine gfx is gma 900 and on sse3 gfx are gforce 7600gt but i ruled out gfx bcos on my amd sse3 setup the gfx is gforce too i should mention tho the games listed above are actually power pc versions

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is most definitely not SSE3.

I managed to get it working on my Intel SSE3 box.

The culprit is the sound-card, I have Soundmax AC'97, and on six channels, it makes the game byte the dust...

On 4 channels its ok, but the sound is awful (you need to select Ch3 as L and Ch4 as R in Stereo).

Try it...

For me if I insist playing games who make use of OpenAL in Mac, I will need a sound card that supports it, like a USB solution...

In windows its fine (but no EAX) - I wonder why in OSX box its not OK, but thats another story...

I hope this clarifies all...

Greets

Billy