ATV Files Buffering Issues on AFP

Andrew Wilkinson

5 posts in this topic

I've got a Mac Mini running Apple TV OS with the ATV Files plugin. I have ATV Files sourcing from a mounted AFP volume (my MacBook Pro) over wireless. The problem is that every time I play a video file off the AFP volume it doesn't buffer becuase it thinks that it's coming from the internal drive and the video studders and stops frequently. I need to figure out a way to force quicktime to buffer the files it plays. Streaming works perfectly from iTunes for TV shows / movies, it's only ATV files that does this.

Any ideas?

I'm sorry I can't answer your question, but can you tell me how you got ATV files to source from somewhere other that /Users/frontrow/Movies? I want it to source from /Volumes/Movies, but I cannot figure out how to do it.

It sounds like he is using an AFP mount to the /Users/frontrow/Movies directory. The source is the same it is just not local it is mounted. I am doing something similar but I am using NFS mounts and not using wireless. I would assume I would have the same stop / stuttering effects.

Also I think the new version supports changing the root directory. I have not tried this myself and this is just a paste from awkwardTV. I am going to try some of these settings later.

Version 0.2.1 (6)

April 8, 2007

The preferences can be set using the defaults command, such as:

defaults write net.ericiii.ATVFiles RootDirectory /mnt/Server

Finder needs to be restarted to pick up any changes.

The preferences available are:

RootDirectory: The path it looks at when first entering the plugin.

EnableFileDurations: Boolean, disable scanning files for their duration, as it can be slow.

Default: YES

VideoExtensions: Array of file extensions (without leading ".") that are video files.

Default: (m4v, 3gp, m3u, pls, divx, xvid, avi, mov, wmv, asx, asf, ogm, mpg, mpeg, mp4, mkv, avc, flv, dv, fli, m2v, ts)

AudioExtensions: Array of file extensions (without leading ".") that are audio files.

Default: (m4b, m4a, mp3, wma, wav, aif, aiff, flac, alac, m3u, mp2

Hi neztik

I've been trying to use the ATVFiles plugin to play media from my iMac using either NFS or AFP but I just can't figure it out. Any chance you can run through the process of getting your Mac serving files via NFS and then configuring ATVFiles to look at the NFS share? I tried to mount an AFP share in /Users/frontrow/Movies but that didn't work and I can't figure how to do the same with NFS at all.

Thanks,

Stu

Can you explain how this works? The default command. Lets say I want to change the default root directory, what command would I use?

It sounds like he is using an AFP mount to the /Users/frontrow/Movies directory. The source is the same it is just not local it is mounted. I am doing something similar but I am using NFS mounts and not using wireless. I would assume I would have the same stop / stuttering effects.

Also I think the new version supports changing the root directory. I have not tried this myself and this is just a paste from awkwardTV. I am going to try some of these settings later.

Version 0.2.1 (6)

April 8, 2007

The preferences can be set using the defaults command, such as:

defaults write net.ericiii.ATVFiles RootDirectory /mnt/Server

Finder needs to be restarted to pick up any changes.

The preferences available are:

RootDirectory: The path it looks at when first entering the plugin.

EnableFileDurations: Boolean, disable scanning files for their duration, as it can be slow.

Default: YES

VideoExtensions: Array of file extensions (without leading ".") that are video files.

Default: (m4v, 3gp, m3u, pls, divx, xvid, avi, mov, wmv, asx, asf, ogm, mpg, mpeg, mp4, mkv, avc, flv, dv, fli, m2v, ts)

AudioExtensions: Array of file extensions (without leading ".") that are audio files.

Default: (m4b, m4a, mp3, wma, wav, aif, aiff, flac, alac, m3u, mp2