both cores (T7200) working!

krille

56 posts in this topic

Thanks for that post, tbcarey. If somebody is able to reproduce this, I'd say it requires an own thread or tutorial.

I am only curious if there are any similar possibilities with GMA950 graphics that many Dell-owners are using. The video-card seems indeed to be the critical factor when trying to get sleep, and maybe dual core working on the Dells.

Did you already have any time to benchmark your system? What kind of improvement do you get with dual core?

Again thanks for your efforts!

I've just run Xbench 1.3 in dual core mode and then rebooted to single core mode by using the cpus=1 kernel flag. Here are the results:

Single Core

Overall - 113.64

CPU Test - 101.57

Thread Test - 122.76

User Interface Test - 290.28

Dual Core

Overall - 130.36

CPU Test - 103.26

Thread Test - 198.38

User Interface Test - 400.58

I've included the User Interface Test results because the variation in scores was so great; all of the other non-CPU-related tests produced nearly identical results.  I haven't checked to see what other (non-Dell) Core 2 Duo users are scoring for CPU and Thread Tests, but do those results look fairly accurate? Should there be a greater differential between the scores when running in dual core mode?

On a side note, I've also noticed that the disk test results are fairly abysmal. I consistently score around 36.5 in that test because the Uncached Random Write 4K Block test produces a score of 7.83.  Has anyone else using the Hitatchi HTS721010G9SA00 (7200 rpm 100gb drive) experienced the same issue? 

Lastly, I just wanted to point out that I am only able to wake from sleep mode if I specify the -v kernel flag during boot (or add it to .com.apple.Boot.plist)! I'm not exactly certain why this is or what processes would change as a result, as I had assumed the only difference in verbose mode was the display of text rather than the Apple logo. However, I have rebooted MANY times and recreated the exact same scenario using the exact same kernel flags, and every time I try without -v, it won't wake from sleep. Very odd.

I've included the User Interface Test results because the variation in scores was so great; all of the other non-CPU-related tests produced nearly identical results. I haven't checked to see what other (non-Dell) Core 2 Duo users are scoring for CPU and Thread Tests, but do those results look fairly accurate? Should there be a greater differential between the scores when running in dual core mode?

Thanks for posting the results, I think they look fairly accurate and Dual Core seems to be working properly. Especially the big difference in the multithreading test shows that everything is working fine.

I get an overall score of around 96 and an UI score of 290 on a E1505/I6400 with T2250 (cpus=1).

Lastly, I just wanted to point out that I am only able to wake from sleep mode if I specify the -v kernel flag during boot (or add it to .com.apple.Boot.plist)! I'm not exactly certain why this is or what processes would change as a result, as I had assumed the only difference in verbose mode was the display of text rather than the Apple logo. However, I have rebooted MANY times and recreated the exact same scenario using the exact same kernel flags, and every time I try without -v, it won't wake from sleep. Very odd.

This sounds very odd ineed. Maybe the verbose mode delays the execution of some functions? Not an explanation, just an uneducated guess...

• 2 months later...
Finally managed to get sleep (and therefore both cores) working on an Inspiron 9400 with an NVidia GeForce Go 9700 GS.

After much tinkering and many reinstalls, I was able to isolate the video card as the weakest link. Sleep WILL NOT work with Titan or Natit, even if I'm using the 10.4.8 GeForce kexts; using NVidiaEFI 1.0.2 with the 10.4.8 kexts works beautifully, however. Here is the final journey I took to get it working, as far as I can recall:

1) Installed JaS SSE2/SSE3 DVD with Semthem 10.4.8 kernel.

2) Installed mobility.kext (found on this forum) and patched AppleHDA.kext

3) Installed JaS 10.4.9 upgrade combo package

4) Turned SafeSleep off with 'sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0'

5) Turned off 'Enable disk to sleep when possible' (or whatever) and changed Display Sleep to 'Never' in Energy Settings

6) Installed NVidiaEFI 1.0.2 kext and removed Titan.kext

7) Fixed relevant permissions

8) Reboot and used kernel flags 'cpus=2 fsb=166 fn=1' (if I do not specify 'fn=x' then I get thrown into single user mode during boot)

9) Use Apple menu to enter sleep mode after OS X is up and running, and the machine goes into S3 state without any issues. Upon wake, both cores are functioning.

'uname -a' confirms I am using the 10.4.9 netkas HPET kernel and I did double-check to make certain that the GeForce/NV40 kexts were still the same version as the 10.4.8 DVD. I also replaced IOPCIFamily.kext and IOPCCardFamily.kext with ones I found in a random thread at one point (attached as 'Extensions.zip', but not the same 'Extensions.zip' available in the 'Useful Files' thread), but as I later re-replaced them with the original versions off the JaS DVD, I do not believe they played an integral role in getting sleep to work.

As for BIOS settings, I'm using the latest A08 and I have NX enabled, Virtualization/Vanderpool enabled, SpeedStep enabled, and both cores enabled (obviously).

Hopefully this will help some of you who are having issues with entering sleep mode and using similar video devices. If not, let me know and I will have a trawl through my Extensions folder to see if there's anything else I messed about with and forgot (it was about the 8th reinstall, so details tend to get a bit mixed up when you're not actually expecting things to work on that particular attempt!)

Best of luck to all! (Now who's going to solve the subwoofer issue so I can have a fully working machine... ? :D )

hi, tbcarey,

I tried so search for the mobility.kext in this forum but failed, can you please put it here, thanks a lot.

btw, is it the same mobility as is meant in ATI mobility?

if I am using a 7900GS, do I still need to install that besides the nvidiaefi?

• 3 months later...

HI,

i notice that both core after sleep is working with kalywayLeopard beta(9a527) release, with titan kext installed. Maybe solution will comes with Leopard...

EDIT: I re-install it, and now it doesn't work. Strange... I have to remember what kext i have installed. Anyway, i will test it when i will have time.

• 2 weeks later...