Editing Device ID clarification

jamesdstark

6 posts in this topic

Is there a post somewhere with detailed instructions on this? I can't find.

I'm struggling to get my Geforce 7600GS 256mb AGP working (device ID 0x02e1). From what I have read, I need to put my Device ID in 3 kext files, which have the following strings below the IOPCIMatch key:

geforce.kext

<string>0x02e110de&0x0000ffff</string>

nvdaresman.kext

<string>0x02e110de&0xfff8ffff 0x017010de&0xfff8ffff 0x017910de 0x018010de&0xfff8ffff 0x018810de 0x018910de 0x020010de&0xfff8ffff 0x025010de&0xfff8ffff 0x028010de&0xfff8ffff 0x030010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031010de&0xfff8ffff 0x031910de 0x034910de</string>

nvdanv40hal.kext

<string>0x02e110de&0xfff0ffff 0x00f010de&0xfff0ffff 0x022010de&0xfff0ffff 0x014010de&0xfff0ffff 0x016010de&0xfff0ffff 0x009010de&0xfff0ffff 0x01d010de&0xfff0ffff 0x039010de&0xfff0ffff 0x029010de&0xfff0ffff</string>

natit.kext

<string>0x000010de&0x0000ffff 0x00001002&0x0000ffff</string>

So my questions are:

1) does natit.kext need to have any modification? My device ID is not in there, and I got these kext's from someone with a working 7600GS AGP.

2) What is the &0x0000ffff for, is that necessary? I tried putting only <string>0x02e110de</string> in all these files but then OSX wouldn't boot at all.

3) My last question reguarding this, if I edit the strings in -s mode with nano, is setting permissions and repairing permissions still necessary? It's a lot easier for me to work in -s mode rather than booting up to the GUI. When I type "diskutil repairpermissions /" in -s mode, it seems nothing happens it just sits there forever.

The answer to all this is in apples documentation for kexts and matching and how to make Info.plist. But for short and general for kexts:

1. If your device id is not there then you have to add it in. However it might or might not be supported by the driver.

2. That is a bit mask. It is used to match more id's without adding all individual id's.

3. No that should not be necessary. nano don't change the owner or the permission if you are not saving it as a new file. But you will still need to invalidate the kextcaches.

• 1 month later...

I am also having much difficulty editing the kext. In terminal i typed sudo -s then i type my password, then i type nano /system/library/extensions/geforce.kext/contents/info.plist

Nano window loads but the file is blank, even if i get the text to pop up (which i did get once before) I was not sure where to enter my devid.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone might provide. I really look forward to getting my vid card to work.

I am also having much difficulty editing the kext. In terminal i typed sudo -s then i type my password, then i type nano /system/library/extensions/geforce.kext/contents/info.plist
File names are case sensitive in OSX. You need to input the file path EXACTLY as it is. You can help yourself by using the autocomplete function (by pressing the TAB button) while inputting file names in the console, by typing like this:

cd /Sys (press TAB: it will autocomplete the command and write "/System" for you)
then type:
/System/Lib (press TAB again)
/System/Library/Exten (press TAB again; the system will find two files matching this string: Extensions and Extensions.mkext. You can press TAB twice this time to display the matching files. What you need is Extensions/ so type the "/" and continue)

Using this procedure will make sure that you always get the right file names/paths inputted correctly.

You should have gotten it by now, right? If not, don't worry. You'll see how it works once you try it out.

Cheers,

hecker

Very cool, I will try this. Also, If you drop the files into your extensions folder you can then drag and drop them right into the terminal and it will place the path for you, from there you still need to add the /Contents/Info.plist

What about the natit.kext do we need to add our dev id to that as well? The instructions do not mention anything about it, but i dont see my device there, just some zeros.

Thanks a ton for the Tab tip.

Also, I see this string in all the kext that need to be edited:

<key>CFBundleSignature</key>

<string>????</string>

Do i need to modify this as well?