NO "Top Secrets"

t3mur

57 posts in this topic

I wanted to throw in what I would like to see. My :) :

-Without a doubt, I want an update to Finder. I'm only a year out from converting to a MBP (3/06) and I LOVE my MBP!! Couldn't be happier to be an Apple User. However, Finder has some real issues that even Windows Explorer does better. (Forgive me, it pains me to say it.) I wish the copy/replace dialog box had more info (like size and date comparisons) as well as some other features.

-Some new and cool look to Finder/GUI would be a real blow to the AeroGlass (yuck) fans.

-I too would like to see ZFS as a bootable option in Leopard.

I can't stress enough how much I would like to see an update to Finder though. :-)

However, I couldn't be happier with switching and have converted quite a few follks at the University I work at (as a Professor of CS). :hysterical:

Cheers!

-P

We heard that one of Leopards 'features' really wasn't a Mac feature at all per se.

It was more along the lines that Leopard will be able to run on PC's. Remember, the bottom line is that Apple is in business to make its share holders happy. What could possibly make them happier that to gain substantial market share? It's also possible that the delay with 10.5 has to do with all of vistas problems, and now they need to tweak 10.5 :whistle:

It was more along the lines that Leopard will be able to run on PC's. Remember, the bottom line is that Apple is in business to make its share holders happy. What could possibly make them happier that to gain substantial market share?

I think selling a $2,000 computer instead of a $100 software will make them (including me) much happier. Apple will not do that, IMHO.

I think selling a $2,000 computer instead of a $100 software will make them (including me) much happier. Apple will not do that, IMHO.

You mean that selling 2000$ computer instead of seeing mac os x pirated by everybody will make them much happier.

Don't forget that Microsoft win a lot of money because they force people to buy windows with each computers.

• 2 weeks later...

I know several Mac developers and all of them doubt that 10.5 will have anything 'top secret' that hasn't already been mentioned in the rumor mills. The only exception to this rule would be the feature 'Active Desktop' which Apple has a patent on. As long as 10.5 is stable and runs as great as 10.4 I'll be a very happy camper. IMO Tiger is the best operating system that has ever been developed. Hopefully 10.5 will follow in it's shoes and not take a 'vista' approach to operating systems :)

If it's really the case, everybody will make fun about Steve Jobs and Apple just like they are already doing for Duke Nukem Forever.

And the Apple public image will be damaged: people doesn't like lies.

Anyway, all the mac developers you know are not working for Apple, so they don't know anything...

If it's really the case, everybody will make fun about Steve Jobs and Apple

I don't think really think Jobs cares very much what immature people think. This is a business decision, and in the end hype sells.

the Apple public image will be damaged

That's just speculation on your part.

people doesn't like lies.

In theory. In reality people hear what they want to hear. How do you think bush got into office ;)

all the mac developers you know are not working for Apple, so they don't know anything...

Again, just speculation on your part :)

I certainly hope that you're right, but I would not be disappointed if there wasn't. As long as 10.5 is as good as 10.4 was (is) then I'd be very happy. Here is a interesting article written by another Apple developer. He seems to agree with my feelings, that it doesn't seem very likely that anything new will be shown when it comes out. Either way time will tell. Apple is at a very interesting time right now because of vistas big flop. If 10.5 is solid, then it could make a lot of converts. I already know of 7 people who have switched to OS X 10.4 because vista is so bad. I pray that Apple takes all the time that they need to get 10.5 right :rolleyes:

I certainly hope that you're right, but I would not be disappointed if there wasn't. As long as 10.5 is as good as 10.4 was (is) then I'd be very happy. Here is a interesting article written by another Apple developer. He seems to agree with my feelings, that it doesn't seem very likely that anything new will be shown when it comes out.

He's not an Apple developer, he is just a Mac developer.

Huge difference…

He's not an Apple developer, he is just a Mac developer.

You must be reading a different article, or seeing what you want to see because the article that we read he specifically states:

I am an Apple Developer. As such, I am legally prohibited from commenting on the specifics of the current beta builds of Leopard.

Weird.

You must be reading a different article, or seeing what you want to see because the article that we read he specifically states:

Weird.

indeed, I was wrong.

I just have one thing to say : just as Apple created fake iPhone prototypes, there must be fake final Leopards.

Thus, there's no need, say, for a Final Cut Developer to know the secret features. By extension, there's no need for a Mail developer to know the changes in Safari. Seen like that, the delay of Leopards allow all the developer to know what's happening.

I disagree with the topic poster. First of all revolutionary. Most users do not understand the complex of a good OS. How can you even call yourself a mac user. Every single new os apple makes it comes with 150+ new improvements. Thats wonderful. it took 5 years for Vista to come out and what? but if you and up the math, 5 years+150 =750, and tiger had 200+. So people really do not understand how hard it is to make a os like os x. and than make new {censored} that is almost perfect? "top secert" could be big or small. they just don't want other companys stealing their idea's.

just as Apple created fake iPhone prototypes, there must be fake final Leopards.

I'll buy that, but I don't buy that developers don't need to know about what's in Leopard. That would all depend on how the 'feature' applied to their company. There is also another possibility that no has mentioned yet. Apple could be testing these features themselves, and then they will pass it on to the developers just before Leopard is released. I am willing to bet that we will be hearing more about Leopards inner workings in 3 or 4 months. This covers all the bases for Apple, and it also keeps the hype up just before it hits the shelves.

I'll buy that, but I don't buy that developers don't need to know about what's in Leopard. That would all depend on how the 'feature' applied to their company. There is also another possibility that no has mentioned yet. Apple could be testing these features themselves, and then they will pass it on to the developers just before Leopard is released. I am willing to bet that we will be hearing more about Leopards inner workings in 3 or 4 months. This covers all the bases for Apple, and it also keeps the hype up just before it hits the shelves.

I did under-mention it.

At WWDC, there will be a feature-complete Leopard.

I just take a look again at the WWDC 2007 calendar and I am now sure there will be a lot of new things à WWDC.

There is dozens of sessions TBA just like that

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedules/friday_pm.html

And as explained on the site "TBA = To be announced"

If Leopard got half-announced last year, it was to be able to give tha APIs to the developers so that they could get used to it.

This time, only end-user features'll be introduced. No need to do a session on that (for instance, if Apple creates a Telephony app (or integrates it to iChat), there's really no need to do a session other than just something on the InstantMessaging framework/iChat one).

If Leopard got half-announced last year, it was to be able to give tha APIs to the developers so that they could get used to it.

This time, only end-user features'll be introduced. No need to do a session on that (for instance, if Apple creates a Telephony app (or integrates it to iChat), there's really no need to do a session other than just something on the InstantMessaging framework/iChat one).

Well, I don't agree. The only thing we now today is that there will be ZFS as a secret feature.

So there will be at least one session for developpers and another one for IT people. We will see ...

What would be pretty impressive, is if the big top secret feature of Leopard is a new application (with the install of Windows) that can mimic a Windows environment and allow Windows-only applications the ability to run emulated (natively with Intel Processors) in Leopard. They already have software for it, but if Apple made it integrated into the system (as a feature to Boot Camp) it would be awesome. Using this, you could also play Windows-based games.

It would be awesome but it's unlikely because they will have to support commercialy the emulation. It's not viable, just imagine all the phones call for errors or old windows software not working, etc ....

On another way, what sould be amazing is the famous yellow box project from Apple aka Cocoa on Windows.

I see Steve at WWDC saying just as for the universal binaries: "just check the box and your application will run on windows too".