Does this site now censor? Preventing freedom of thought?

91 posts in this topic

once again, who attacked you?

I don't understand what you are asking. Could you rephrase the question.

there where more before swad deleted them.

Prove it. Find how many posts there were, repost all of the deleted posts and let's tally the votes.

up above, you said "It would not be a war if someone did not throw the first cannonball in nicemac's direction.". i havent goten ahold of swad yet, but i do remember when this happened

I don't understand what you are asking. Could you rephrase the question.

Prove it. Find how many posts there were, repost all of the deleted posts and let's tally the votes.

BTW, InsanelyMac lost Clonetool as a result of the cold war.

up above, you said "It would not be a war if someone did not throw the first cannonball in nicemac's direction.". i havent goten ahold of swad yet, but i do remember when this happened

Then you know who threw the 1st punch, but it was not an attack on me. It was on nicemac.

no, i dont know who threw it. and insanelymac hasnt lost clonetool. any member can get clonetool, it just isnt being presented here. we should stop comparing the two sites

Agreed, we should stop comparing.

Just a rebutal here about Clonetool. Anyone can get Clonetool, but it is now obsolete and is being phased out completely with Clonetool Hatchery which InsanelyMac or another other site does not have rights to distribute because it is copyrighted and is protected under the DMCA.

X-man

yeah. i just want to tell everyone on both sites that we don't have to be enemies, we can be friends. i will ask swad to unblock the site as long as no one posts it so much that it becomes a probem

yeah. i just want to tello everyone on both sites that we don't have to be enemies, we can be friends. i will ask swad to unblock the site as long as no one posts it so much that it becomes a probem

Agreed. I will speak to Goodtime and have him ask his users to only link to real content between the both sites and to pull a halt to any drive by link spamming as this is not good for either IM or NM.

NiceMac wants to grow naturally and does no longer want to spam any sites by its members or the admin. I think we have a truce here.

You have my word.

X-man

There has been a recent development with a written agreement between Soundless and X-man.

With this agreement is under effect as of today. I have to ask all Nice Mac members to be nice and no longer post any drive by link spamming on InsanelyMac (or any other site). I am not asking anyone to change their sigs, but I politely and sincerely ask them to put a halt to "hey come checkout nicemac.com."

This is has become a big turn off to any InsanelyMac members and I fully agree that we should only link to each other's sites through relative content and not link pamming.

I hearby declare this guideline is now in effect as of right now.

Sincerely,

NiceMac Logo Smiley

recieved this PM from goodtime :(

X-Man & Soundless:

I'm sure glad you guys got that worked out.

As far as the original question, the answer is an obvious yes, and it's for legal liability reasons. Ever since Maxxuss first released his work, we've had to limit direct links from here to his old sources. This was really a very minimal annoyance, and of no real hindrance to the project. We could always PM each other for more specific links, torrents etcetera.

The point is that censorship by mashugly (or whoever is in charge now) is perfectly appropriate. This censorship happens for a number of reasons, the most important being that it prevents the entire site from being censored by Apple under the DMCA.

It's also been pointed out that enforcing adherence to the rules significantly improves the forum. I for one do not want to have to wade through tons of junk posts just to find some actually valuable/interesting information. It's hard enough trying to find information in this forum, which is why noobs are always asking the same questions over and over again.

I have said lots of things I probably shouldn't on this site. I think being "censored" has more to do with tact than intention. If you want to promote another forum, you should do it tactfully. It seems to me that Mash's critique is not the promotion of Nicemac, but the way in which it was promoted. I have nothing but respect for Insanely Mac.

Rights from the American constitution don't extend into cyberspace. If you feel violated, then gather at Nicemac. 99.99% of Insanelymac users have not been "censored" so I don't think there's any kind of "revolution" brewing. For people to switch to a new forum, they would have to feel oppressed here. I think if you ran a poll, you would find that upwards of 95% do not feel oppressed here.

I do not think that anyone running InsanelyMac is afraid of Nicemac. No offense to Nicemac, but the forums are just not comparable in numbers and content. The idea that Nicemac was censored by an Insanely Mac dictatorship is silly and unfounded. If anything, Nicemac has received more buzz from the controversy surrounding its promotion on Insanelymac.

I say, good luck to both forums. There is no winner and loser. They are different forums with different purposes and often different people.

X-Man-

Hey Goodtime. Nice to meet you... again. I'm glad you just got off the phone with yourself, which you claimed earlier in this thread. I'd love to sit in on one of those conversations... (P.S. Next time, if you are really trying to be tricky as to who you are, don't validate with an email of goodtime@_______.com.)

Listen guys. We're not banning links. For a few days, we didn't allow nicemac links while Goodtime was spamming. After he had us delete his account, we removed the filter. Simple as that.

And Conroe Mac is right - it's all about tact. If you had let us know about your site tactfully, it wouldn't be a big deal. Instead you did it in quite an immature way, what with fake "goodbye" posts, pure spam advertising posts, and announcements for contests that we didn't care about (and seemingly didn't matter anyway). Even now, X-Man (AKA Goodtime) makes a fake account, after he told us quite publicly he was "leaving," only to lie to us here... AND HE CAN'T EVEN KEEP HIMSELF FROM PUTTING A LINK TO HIS SITE IN HIS SIG!!!!!!!!!

I've bent over backwards for you guys, talking with you and trying to help you understand these things. Goodtime, regardless of how good his site may or may not be, was simply incredibly immature in telling people about it. Someone asked earlier in this thread what we expect? We expect grown ups. Mature behavior. Sadly, we've seen none of that from certain people.

Oh, and X-Man has been put on mod preview until he proves he's not here to spam again.

Wow, the whole X-Man & AllOutMacsToday thing was really, really immature.

Anyway that's over now apparently...

All forums need to have rules to keep them running smoothly, as a Admin of a forum for a popular forum for 2 years I know how hard you have to work to keep everything running smoothly, flame bait/flamers away etc. you obviously have you have some form of rules to deal with these, and a good team of trusted moderators to help you keep everything in order.

For legal (DMCA) reasons obviously some content, links etc. will need to be filtered, however this is not really "censoring" - it's not taking away your freedom of speach/thought. If you want to illegally share copyrighted materials then go join some piracy forums...

Anyway, to sum up in my opinion IM does an excellent job of keeping things running smoothly, and does not "censor" anymore than absolutely necessary.

Just my $0.02 anyhow.

~mac.nub

Nice to see that you keep people's records confidential. I was trying keep my anonymity here.

Immature? I just agreed and told my users to stop linking spamming on InsanelyMac? I agreed to a truce. If can't play nice. That's your can of worms. Not mine.

Who is immature? Giving out people's private email addresses on the internet that they used for validation. Or someone who tries to come to an agreement and be friends.

Thank you,

Goodtime

X-Man

This post just got edited by Swad.. He is censoring again. I am on moderator probation. This time I am not being notified... All my posts are delayed by five minutes for review.

Nice to see that you keep people's records confidential. I was trying keep my anonymity here.
Anonymous, even though you made it known to your NiceMac pals that you had split personalities? It also seems the only reason you wanted anonymity was so that you could lie to us...

Immature? I just agreed and told my users to stop linking spamming on InsanelyMac? I agreed to a truce.
No, a "truce" can be quite mature. What was immature was the way you started this problem in the beginning and your wanton disregard for the rules of the forum by keeping your signature.

Who is immature? Giving out people's private email addresses on the internet that they used for validation. Or someone who tries to come to an agreement and be friends.
Well, the revealing of email wouldn't be necessary were it not for lies about who a person is. However, I'll edit out the rest of your email address. And I've never wanted to be anything but friends with you - somehow you began thinking that I hate you and your site. Not at all - I just ask for civility.

how do you explain

Great question - I have no idea why that's happening. As you can see earlier in the thread, the links do work... At one point one of the staff members set up the link filter (on his own, btw, and told me later). Perhaps there is still a remnant of that somewhere, although I've looked in the admin panel. I'll keep searching. The fact that other links have worked, though, should prove that we're not interested in censorship.

I'll investigate the issue and see what I can find out.

Edit: I found the option - it was buried under several others. Seems that the staff member who put it there never removed it. I apologize for not taking care of it sooner. All links should work now.

Anonymous, even though you made it known to your NiceMac pals that you had split personalities? It also seems the only reason you wanted anonymity was so that you could lie to us...

No, a "truce" can be quite mature. What was immature was the way you started this problem in the beginning and your wanton disregard for the rules of the forum by keeping your signature.

Well, the revealing of email wouldn't be necessary were it not for lies about who a person is. However, I'll edit out the rest of your email address. And I've never wanted to be anything but friends with you - somehow you began thinking that I hate you and your site. Not at all - I just ask for civility.

Great question - I have no idea why that's happening. As you can see earlier in the thread, the links do work... At one point one of the staff members set up the link filter (on his own, btw, and told me later). Perhaps there is still a remnant of that somewhere, although I've looked in the admin panel. I'll keep searching. The fact that other links have worked, though, should prove that we're not interested in censorship.

I'll investigate the issue and see what I can find out.

Does Spiderman tell everyone that he is peter parker? I was trying to turn over a new leaf. It was a white lie. I am sure Soundless could read between the lines and X-man/Goodtime kept their word and PM'd all the nicemac users to stop link-spamming InsanelyMac (or any other site).

Friends? Yes I want be friends, but your Supreme big brother actions say otherwise. Who is lying now? Filtering someone's posts and not telling them?