7600 GS AGP doesn't work please help

jamesdstark

4 posts in this topic

I'm not a happy camper, this is my third video card I've tried with no luck. But I actually got something on the screen this time. Gigabyte 7600GS 256MB AGP, using true DVI out to dual-link LCD monitor (Dell 2007wfp)

Clean install of Jas 10.4.8, without titan checked

Installed natit universal installer, and was able to get something on the screen for the first time, but my mouse cursor doesn't show and the graphics are messed up. I then edited geforce.kext, nvdaresman.kext, and nvdanv40hal.kext with my device ID (02e1) still no luck. I set the appropriate permissions in instructions and repaired permissions. I then tried adding AGPGART.kext but then I just got a blank screen.

I'm really frustrated at this point, don't know what else to try. The best result I've gotten is a narrow screen, like a perpendicular letterbox with half the screen black, but I can't see my mouse cursor but I can use the mouse. Maybe the resolution settings are backwards for some reason and this is causing a problem? when I go to display settings, my options are 800x1280 or 1600x2560. This should read 1280x800 or 2560x1600, unless mac is just backwards. It does detect my display as Dell 3007WFP so I guess that's something. If I select 1600x2560 the screen goes haywire. Any ideas to try would be helpful. I scavenged over the "post your instructions" thread with not much success.

I just went through the same thing on a Gigabyte 7600 Gs AGP with the same device ID. After getting that far, open up System Preferences > Display , choose "Gather Windows" I think, this gives you access to both resolution changers, I forget the exact method, but I remember changing sizes on both screens, switching to mirror, etc etc, I finally got it where the 2nd display that was "wrong" was the only one working, and couldnt go any further so I gave up and rebooted, upon reboot everything worked like charm (apart from 2 small errors, but I beleive they make no difference to the actual usage - 2nd LCD only shows as "VGA Display" and my Bus reports PCI instead of AGP).

I didnt muck with any kext's after getting "some" display on the 2nd screen.

Hope this helps.

I don't remember seeing any option like that. I'm not trying to use 2 displays, rather 1 dual-link display. I think the issue is my resolutions are backwards, it says 800x1280 which is what the display looks like (narrow), and only 1 other resolution option which is 1600x2560 which is invalid and makes my screen go haywire. I need to select 2560x1600 but it's not available. Maybe dual-link is not working properly and it only sees one half of the output?

Maybe I need to edit my kexts more with my Dev ID? I don't see specific instructions anywhere here how to do that properly, even though everyone says it's all over the forums. If it is I sure can't find it. NVDARESMAN.kext has a really long line of device ID's, and I only changed the first one, do I need to change them all?

I don't remember seeing any option like that. I'm not trying to use 2 displays, rather 1 dual-link display. I think the issue is my resolutions are backwards, it says 800x1280 which is what the display looks like (narrow), and only 1 other resolution option which is 1600x2560 which is invalid and makes my screen go haywire. I need to select 2560x1600 but it's not available. Maybe dual-link is not working properly and it only sees one half of the output?

Maybe I need to edit my kexts more with my Dev ID? I don't see specific instructions anywhere here how to do that properly, even though everyone says it's all over the forums. If it is I sure can't find it. NVDARESMAN.kext has a really long line of device ID's, and I only changed the first one, do I need to change them all?

you can erase them all in nvdaresman and just have your card's id in it