Possible macbook gma upgrade

19 posts in this topic

i have been doing alot of reserch about the so called gma3000 for the mac and i was wondering if the drivers come out for mac cant we unsolder the gma950 and then solder the 3000 in place?

I have no idea about the question, but I've got to say the idea of cracking open my MacBook and taking a soldering iron to it just makes me sick. I'm sure it would cost too much and be too risky. It's probably like the Core Duo procs, unless you're a robot and can solder 50-100+ pins at once you're not going to do it.

good luck though, happy soldering

i have been doing alot of reserch about the so called gma3000 for the mac and i was wondering if the drivers come out for mac cant we unsolder the gma950 and then solder the 3000 in place?

not possible

basically, if you can solder with micrometer precision, and repeat it 500+ times without making any mistakes whatsoever (like moving the iron's tip a fraction of a millimetre the wrong way) it could be done.

however, the chances of knackering your macbook are very, very high.

As the GMA950 and GMA3000 is not a seperate chip, but embedded in the computer's northbridge-chip, it's REALLY unlikely someone could do it.

Remember, there would need to be made changes to the computer's "BIOS" (Open Firmware on a MAC) to make it work.

As the pinouts for these chips is not the same, it's impossible.

If you have rework equipment for 100.000 USD in a factory, and could source a replacement chip, you would be able to solder in a new chip, but it's really hard.

The chip is BGA (Ball Grid Array) and it's not a question about soldering hundreds of small points in a go, but rather applying some paste, consisting of very small solder balls - placing the chip on top, very precise and then bake it with hot air, then the small solder balls melt, and the chip gets soldered.

If Apple ever puts the 3000 in a macbook, we will se a new revision of the logic board designed for that chip, and only that chip.

Regards, Per.

Yes, if you are a cyborg and have absolutely zero tremors in your hand, plus the eye sight of let's say the Hubble (you need to see what your soldering), you MIGHT be able to replace the chip.

Wow fantastic you replaced 100% compatible video chip with that nice Quartz Extreme and Core Image with a new GPU that has zero OS X support....Congratulations!

:hysterical: Well it would be cool... I think laptops need to start useing sockets for cpus and gpus just like in desktops. Intagrated chips such as the intel GMA would be nice to replace by just simplying unlocking it and swaping it and wala. North Brige Chips would have to come off to but hay... This way any one with a laptop has more options to upgrade and repair. :whistle::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

After all macbooks ... and Mac minis suck for gfx and it would be a VERY COOL thing if something like that were to happen.

But guys.. let me tell you ... it's all about money. Computer Companys, BUSH, Gas = GREED and just saying this seems like a bright idea and prob already been thought up. Mac book pros are for people who need better gfx then the gma... and it's much much more then the macbook.

Money = Every thing

Apple dosent want people changeing onborad chips.. beacuse thay want the people to come to them and makeing them spend money to get a new laptop or desktop. "which ever you pefer"

ahh but thats where i was anoyed i would have got a macbook pro but i wanted the 13inch screen and i like the white im currently trying to work on a way to remove the 64mb limit on the gma950 in osx but its finding the file that needs to be patched :whistle: *if any1 knows anything that could help?*