Mythtv created 640x480 H264 video on your macintosh Ipod Video

tirtho

1 post in this topic

What I will be explaining here is basically what many have tried and very few have done successfully.

H264 is Mpeg4 part10 and a generation ahead of Xvid Divx etc, although many may argue Xvid can be better quality. I have found for its versatility H264 encoded videos are the way to go. You get low file size, they are highly scaleable and now I can play then on my ipod aswell as my computer/media center at resolutions that are acceptable for everyday viewing.

I started this quest with mythtv generated videos which are produced off my cable box,

As you may or may not know there is a project called Mythtv its basically an open source Tivo clone for linux and other open source systems. The software produces video files and these files can be converted using post processing into H264 encoded videos.

The videos are not limited to mythtv. Even DVD's that you are backing up to h264 can now be put on your ipod for free.

=========

Now whats new, uptill now there was no easy way to put 640x480 H264 videos on your ipod. Its fairly easy to put 320x240 H264 videos but not 640x.

So whats the difference, well the new Video ipods have just recently been updated to play the newer higher resolution h264 640x480 Level3 videos at higher bitrates then 1200. These files are comparable to DVD quality in some instances at sizes under a regular Data CD. This is very desirable when it comes to trying to play video on the ipod and reuse the video on other mediums.

Without getting into too many technical details because I do not feel like writing an essay here... the main issue is ....uploading these videos to your ipod

Itunes WILL NOT ALLOW you to upload these vidos to your ipod. So this started my quest to find a way to put the videos on my ipod 80Gb Video version. I tried many differnt things and found the easiest way to put these videos on your Ipod is by using

Fusepod,

it can be compiled for darwin your hackintosh or a regular mac once you have it compiled

1. you need to mount your ipod in fuse

fusepod [mount_to]

If FUSEPod fails to find your ipod you can specify the ipod's mountpoint through the environment variable IPOD_DIR to it's the location.

For example, say my ipod is mounted at /media/IPOD and I want to mount the fusepod layer at /home/keegan/ipod

You would enter at the console:

IPOD_DIR="/media/IPOD" fusepod /home/keegan/ipod

To unmount FUSEPod type at the console:

./fusermount -u [mounted_to]

you need to modify the "add_files.sh" and colocate it in a directly outside the fusepod location in this example you would need to copy it anywhere outside /home/keegan/ipod

Then modify it where it says |mp3|mpa to |mp3|mpa|mp4

This will allow you to add the files to the add_song batch file on the fusepod home directory.

Then simply sync the ipod and your file will be copied over.

These instructions are fairly vague and I did this because I am sure Ipod engineers are reading this and thinking how can we close this hole.

Well I aint telling you anything more.....

The UUID atom that Apple Itunes blocks so only their specific variation "H264 settings" can be uploaded to the Ipod Videos can can be defeated by the above "vague" information.

That being said, if your desperate enough there is enough information here to pull off what I have done.. so good luck!

Hint.. I would start the process on a GNU linux system with fuse prebuilt into the kernel then compile things for Darwin ..

Also this Hack only works on HFS+ formated Ipods it does not work on Fat32 formatted Ipods hense why I am telling all the hackintoshies and Macers this info :(

Take care

Tirtho