Hackintosh and Second Life...

Karakino

19 posts in this topic

Hi guys ;)

I would like to know if any of you play Second Life with your hackintosh...

I got this problem... If i try to use the latest 1.14 version of the client i cannot

connect as the program gives me this error:

Unable to connect to Second Life.

DNS could not resolve the host name.

Please verify that you can connect to the www.secondlife.com

web site. If you can, but continue to receive this errror,

please go to the support section and report this problem.

But if i use the previous version of the client i can connect without problems...

I'm wondering what could it be the main problem... I got Maya 8.5 installed with

the patch for IONetworkingFamily.kext to recognize from the utility of Maya

the correct mac addres from the proper menu... I already tried to reverse that kext

with the original one but it doesn't have any effect... I would be grateful if some1

could find a fix for this... If exists...

All I can say, Second Life works well on my hackie, so its definetly possible to get it running.

No doubt about that!!

But I don't find any big help o it!! :(

Unfortunately , I haven't been able to find a solution goggleing and searching on SL forum , then me as others need a solution to get it solved!! :P

• 3 weeks later...

was there any solution for this problem? i think it has to do with the 10.4.8 update with the IONetworking.kext incompatibility. all versions of secondlife don't work on my machine. it could also be an SSE2 problem maybe?

mirage3d

• 3 weeks later...

The same problem on my 10.4.9 hacki.

It works however on my iBook G4, but you can imagine how slow...

IONetworking.kext may be a good hint - but any solutions?

by the way: My About Windos says: "3,4 GHz Intel Core Solo" - it's a Duo though.

Any way to fix this? Does it make any difference in performance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

My problem is worse.

After installing second life in the Applications folder, I run the program and try but in the end the program closes.

Then I launched a text saying that it sends the problem to second life

Help please!

Thanks

P.D.: This is for a mother asus p5b deluxe.., in de dc7100 run great

Well, this problem was talked about in another thread (which I posted my crash report in there), and it seems no one has found what causes it: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=78505

I still can't launch Second Life, no matter what viewer I use, what version (including the newest), or anything. It wasn't fixed with updating to 10.5.2 either. I originally thought it had something to do with the nVidia driver I was using before then (and obviously the final one in 10.5.2), but this cancels that out since it says your using a ATI X1600. More than likely its a file that SL uses which might of been modified in these distros (such as Kalyway). But Second Life is the ONLY thing that doesn't want to work properly for me under OS X.

But I DO think I found a culprit, where its saying "LLAppViewerMacOSX::generateSerialNumber() " in the crash report. I think it does some background check with the EFI on Macs and it might not like the emulated EFI used in these distros. Maybe if someone could compile Second Life from the source code and take out this part of the code, it might work fine.