UPS arrives today for MacPro 2000VA/1200watt/avr

2 posts in this topic

Well after reading alot about MacPro's killing UPS's under 1500va I ordered a 2000va/1200watt/avr unit with digital readout to give a shot. I've had the MacPro running on an old 700va/avr Belkin that I've had a few years as a temporary measure. I tested the Belkin once, and it dropped to its knees quickly, shutting the MacPro down within 5 seconds. Does'nt surprise me as I know tha batteries are at least 2-1/2 years old(gonna replace those this weekend), and 700va/avr I already knew was not enough. I'm hoping I can plug both my MacPro and C2D 6600 (500watt PS) Windows box into this 2000va and get them both to run on battery for at least 15-20 mins on power outtage. Oh well, guess I'll find out... :(

Well set it up and put the monitoring software on the Windows machine (c2D E6600/2gig ram/250gig hd/Gforce 7950superclocked/Asus P5B-VM) and with it and the MacPro, and 2- 19inch widescreen LCD's (1 is a HDTV), the 2000va UPS is at 24% load. If I run rember on the MacPro or bootcamp or basically start loading her up, it even shows minute flickers in load, topping out at 27-29% load. Looks like I'm gonna be ok with having 1 large UPS for 2 workstation class machines...for now anyway till i add more hard drives to the MacPro. Even then it should never top 40% load, at which point I start getting concerned, and really concerned after 50% (I like alot of wiggle room on a UPS)

Well I know this is probably a boring story for you all, but just thought I'd share my experiences with a decent priced 2000va UPS...