The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

Which Partition is active?

Use Fdisk to look for this information.First you should have installes Win than change active partition to the 2nd part of the harddisk and install osx , in the most cases you get an functionally osx bootloader (darwinloader) with entry of windows.

If this dont work you read the common steps

If you have Windows on FAT you reinstall it,use Wingrub as Bootloader.(download and install the Software)

I hope i can help you to fix your problems

PCLinuxOS 2007 on hard drive 1 using grub bootloader.

Mac OS X 10.4.7 on hard drive 2 .

Add this paragraph to menu.lst file in grub folder:

title Mac OS X

root (hd1,0)

chainloader +1

Easy as can be,no muss,no fuss.

I have a quick question.. I can't seem to get that darwin bootloader working. Is it because my windows partition is using NTFS and not FAT32?

Quite a problem, because OSX86 works fine, but I can't boot XP (even if I set the XP partition back to the active one in disk utility). My XP boot just hangs at "verifying dmi pool data". Help help :tomato:

I followed this guide

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Simple_Dual_Boot

edit: using one physical hard-drive, two partitions.

Edited by skumix

its time for my story of success:

i several times reinstalled different releases of macos to 2nd partition with same effect - Error loading operating system.

to fix it i installed acronis os selector and then deactivated it since i actually dont need it as daily routine.

it seems that acronis, apart from deactivating itself, also fixed MBR..

• 2 weeks later...

I installed xp then vista then osx and then linux .. and used grub for bootloader and i can boot into xp vista and linux but i get HSF+ partition error when i try booting osx .. i tried everything from chain0 to editing menu.lfs and all .. can anyone please tell me how to run osx without installing it or any other os again .

does going into bios and selecting the hard drive the windows/linux/ whatever count its what I do since i cant really do it any way going from windows to linux works good for me diffrent windows on one hd os x on another and select the hd I kno its on to boot first

• 3 weeks later...

Question related to dual booting and using a usb drive as the OS selector - I have not seen this covered in this forum yet.

I am aiming to use a bootable usb drive as the OS menu using GRUB.

I am aiming to partition my hard drive into two partitions (NTFS - Windows 2000 and HFS - OSX). The NTFS partition already exists and Windows 2000 is installed.

I would like to leave the first partition as active and if the usb drive is not booted from, Windows will boot by default.

With the usb drive connected, I would like the option to select with of the OS's to boot from using GRUB.

I was thinking this would be the process:

1. Boot from a linux livecd and partition the drive (create a primary partition of type af after the primary and active ntfs partition).

2. Boot from the OSX DVD and use disk utility to create the HFS partition and install to it.

3. Boot from a linux livecd and use parted to set the NTFS partition back to active.

4. Install and edit the GRUB menu on the USB drive to allow the selection of either of the partitions on the harddrive.

5. Ensure the bios is set to boot from the USB drive first, cd/dvd second and hard drive third.

Has anyone done this, or does this sound realistic before I spend time and screw up my laptop?

Thanks

JT

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to Hackintosh and I want to use both Windows and Mac OS X. Whats the best methode for dual booting Windows and Mac at the moment? I'm not very experienced with bootloaders yet, so a guide would be very good.

Easiest, most straight-forward, is using the darwin bootloader.

Once you've created a primary active partition for osx (before the extended partition, if there is one), and you've installed osx on that partition according to guides, you'll have the darwin bootloader that will take care of booting both osx and windows2000/xp (you didn't specify which windows).

Then go to this wiki section, Tips and Tricks, under the Speed up Darwin's timeout count-down subsection, and change the com.apple.boot.plist to get proper time to chose in the menu.

As for install guides for osx, there are many in the GeniusBar subforum.

If you want to use the chain0 method instead of the more direct darwin loader method, then you can simply get the chain0 in the root of your osx dvd.

In the GeniusBar subforum, you'll get many guides on how to install.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Following this and other instructions, I did the following:

1. I created a primary partition (without formatting) on the free space using Disk Management in XP.

2. I MADE A BACKUP MY XP DATA.

3. boot from OSX 10.4.7 JAS DVD

4. In Disk Utility Erased (formatted) that partition to HFS Journaled and it magically appeared as a valid destination drive.

5. It installed smooth and quick

6. I have Darwin boot loader menu pressing F8 with XP and OsX options.

But I have problems with video driver (Intel 945GM) but if boot in safe mode (-x) works great!

I've read that there is Intel GMA support in the DVD but mine doesn't have...

Bye.

Acer TravelMate 4220

Centrino T1350 1.86mhz

Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-L632D

Realtek High Definition Audio

Agere Systems HDA Modem

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Hello Everyone. I have created a small guide on how to dual boot Vista and OS X 10.4.8 using a Master and Slave configuration. This will also work if you already have Vista installed on your master drive.

This guide was modified from the original one found here: http://www.profit42.com/index.php/2006/12/...ot-on-intelamd/

Here is my guide:

http://www.freewebs.com/izludetingel/OS/VISTAOSXDUAL.html

Graphical Guide coming soon.