The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

Okay, I am trying to install OS X on a separate HD. I have 3 HDs, a 200gb IDE (XP Storage), a 250gb SATA (XP Boot), and a 300gb SATA (where I want to put OS X).

Whenever I get to the install menu off the OS X Boot DVD the only HD it recognizes is the first 200gb one that is in NTFS and is currently holding most of my saved documents and downloads. I'd really like to see if there is a way to make the OS X install recognize the 3rd 300gb HD which is currently un-partitioned (i was going to partion it in the OS X install).

I mistakenly posted a thread about this in Mac Dual-Booting, so appologies for that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

hey guys, new to the forum, just got the tri boot up and running, to save myself the headache i used 3 seperate hdds the trick was in the order, first installed osx, then winxp media center edition (didnt' really want it but wanted to fool with the xbox 360/media center stuff, then i loaded up ubuntu, after that i threw GRUB in the MBR, it worked fine, but the OSX never showed up in the GRUB startup menu, some screwing with chmod of the boot/grub/menu.lst and quick editing fixed that right up, if any one wants more detailed instructions pm me. well thats how i got all three OS's to boot, now to get everything working...

Guest goodtime

I have a poor man's dual boot method.

Windows 2003 Server one one 80 GB SATA Drive.

Mac OS X 10.4.6 on a 2nd SATA DRIVE

Home directory for Mac OS X on a 3rd SATA Drive.

If I need to boot windows directly, I change my 1st boot drive in BIOS to the Windows Drive. Most of the time, this Machine is in Mac mode.

I also use Parallel's Virtualization software still while in OS X when I need to access Windows Quickly and don't not want to quick a large download via Bit Torrent from OS X.

I might one day try to dual boot two Hard drives, but the BIOS workaround works for me. Love my Mac OS X! :-)

Has anyone tried to see if Boot Camp would work on a PC? Just curious to know what would happen.

the chain0 method doesn't work for my Myzar's Mac OS X x86 10.4.5. i only can use Acrnis OS Selector to dual boot with my active Windows XP
My boot.ini get chain booting error and my OS selector cant find my Mac Partition =(

Yep i just got it working . A tri boot on one Hard Disk. (SUSE 10, OS X 10.4.6, Win XP)

First method: Tried the boot.ini method. it didnt work. I had to reformat my hard disk.

Second Method: Grub and Win Grub worked for about 5 reboots then stopped working.

Best Method: Changed the Bootloader from GRUB to LILO and it worked perfectly, no fiddling with options or anything. And it is still going strong after a fresh install of XP ;):D:D

just set up dual boot with osx 10.4.5 and XP. did it the easy way, just reformat, make 2 partitions, installed osx on the first and xp on the second, then installed acronis os selector, and now on start up it asks if i want to boot into xp or the unknown os.

this is on an inspiron 6000. I have XP working great, just like it should, now time to get osx working. i think i should be able to get everything but widescreen working right.

Ok, I have read every post in this thread, and any others I could find here and on google about dual booting xp and osx, but I am still having issues.

If the answer to my problem is known, please point me in the right direction and I will read whatever you give me.

I have 1 hard drive 80gb. Foxxcon 915gl systemboard, p4 805 or 806 cpu

I boot with the 10.4.6 dvd (with jas ppf inserted), use the disk utility to partition the drive. I just selected "2 partitions" from the drop down menu. The top one (first) was formatted HFS and the second with msdos

I installed osx and after the reboot, everything is fine

Restart the comptuer and boot from my xp setup disk

I format the dos partition to NTFS and install xp

upon reboot I get "missing operating system"

Following many different posts here, I have tried a lot to get it working

Booting with the osx dvd again, startup disk only lists the install dvd as a startup device, no hard drives/partitions

I booted with Ubuntu 5.10, ran terminal as root and used fdisk /dev/hda, I turned the boot flag on for osx partition and off for ntfs

still I get missing operating system

What am I doing wrong?

Hi everyone

i installed mac os x in my pc and restarted. but i didnt see any option for macos.

I already have a tri boot pc with ubuntu dapper, win32 and win64. I have installed

grub boot loader in the mbr. grub boot loader is installed in dapper.

So if anyone can help me to bring the menu for macosx

in grub, that would be very helpful

othe details:

install type - sse2

partition - 10gb, hfs journaled case-sensitive

m/b - 915gav

processor - intel 3.0 ht

ram - 1g

media -dvd rw

hdd - sata 120gb

mouse - ps2

k/b - ps2 windows kb

monitor - samsung 17"

Thanks in Advance

werty37

Hi everyone

i installed mac os x in my pc and restarted. but i didnt see any option for macos.

I already have a tri boot pc with ubuntu dapper, win32 and win64. I have installed

grub boot loader in the mbr. grub boot loader is installed in dapper.

So if anyone can help me to bring the menu for macosx

in grub, that would be very helpful

othe details:

install type - sse2

partition - 10gb, hfs journaled case-sensitive

m/b - 915gav

processor - intel 3.0 ht

ram - 1g

media -dvd rw

hdd - sata 120gb

mouse - ps2

k/b - ps2 windows kb

monitor - samsung 17"

Thanks in Advance

werty37

Here:

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=16674&hl=

I'm lost. I looked everywhere i could for a solution to this and i bet it must be super simple... but i don't know.

I want to dual boot OSX and XP

I install WIn XP first, (I use the installer to partition my Drive)

then I insert OSX installation DVD, and format the other partition (non-XP) into MAc OS Extended (journaled). I i reboot after formatting (or after formatting and installing, but just rebooting after formatting is enough), Windows XP refuses to boot: System Error

Any suggestions?

thanks

As my test continue, it seems that Windows refuses to boot (Error Loading SYstem) as long as there is an HFS+ partition (formatted by Disk utility) even without installing OSX on it, and even after re-isntalling Win XP

My system is nothing really incompatible...

Asrock 775twins-hdtv motherboard with Xpress 200

Seagate 120 GB SATA

Intel P4 630 3GHZ

Ok, I have read every post in this thread, and any others I could find here and on google about dual booting xp and osx, but I am still having issues.

If the answer to my problem is known, please point me in the right direction and I will read whatever you give me.

I have 1 hard drive 80gb. Foxxcon 915gl systemboard, p4 805 or 806 cpu

I boot with the 10.4.6 dvd (with jas ppf inserted), use the disk utility to partition the drive. I just selected "2 partitions" from the drop down menu. The top one (first) was formatted HFS and the second with msdos

I installed osx and after the reboot, everything is fine

Restart the comptuer and boot from my xp setup disk

I format the dos partition to NTFS and install xp

upon reboot I get "missing operating system"

Following many different posts here, I have tried a lot to get it working

Booting with the osx dvd again, startup disk only lists the install dvd as a startup device, no hard drives/partitions

I booted with Ubuntu 5.10, ran terminal as root and used fdisk /dev/hda, I turned the boot flag on for osx partition and off for ntfs

still I get missing operating system

What am I doing wrong?

I seem to have fixed my problem. I re-ran the setup from the dvd and now osx works, and I am still able to boot to xp from the startup menu (f8). We'll see how long that lasts :angry::gathering:

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

i just follow the instruction and make it work for me

having xp already and other partition for data storage

using myzar 10.45 to format non-xp partition and install it without error

reboot again, error

using windows 98cd to boot up the machine and make the xp partition active by FDISK

copy chain0 from 10.45dvd to c: and add this sentence to boot.ini

c:\CHAIN0="Apple Mac OS X x86"

that's easy

My first partition is WinXP and second is MacOSX. After I installed 10.4.6, the boot selection disappeared and it straight boot to MacOSX. I wan to get back the dual boot menu. Can someone post me the content of "com.apple.boot.plist" for dual booting WinXP and MacOSX? Thanks alot!

hi i am new to the whole dual booting thing but i have just dual booted OS X and windows xp and i have a minor glitch in the OS X though. It is a little choppy. I belive it is my dual core AMD 3800+ processor. Is there something i can do to make it less sketchy because it almost seems as if it processes in blocks? Also i have an ATI Radeon x850xl PCI-E. This also will not let me go past the resolution 1024x768....is there a patch to correct this. help with these problems would be much appreciated.

problems with dual boot after a clean install that works fine as a standalone...

hi!

i got my osx 10.4.3 installed on a second harddisk on the first partition (normally disk1s1 or secondary master in that bios).

but... i only got it recognized and installed when i changed the hd to the first master or disk0s1... i opened my pc and changed the bus cable...

in this combination i can boot osx really fine and some kinda fast...

but... in this configuration i don't have that win xp disk (which is normally disk0) at hand (cause it's unplugged) and my secondary slave which normally is my second DVD drive and burner will not be recognized in osx (only my first DVD drive which isn't a burning drive)...

when i reconfigure my drives (XP on disk0 - bootdisk and first master, DVD drive as first slave, osx on disk1s1 and secondary master, DVD burning drive as secondary slave) windows will load correct... i get that boot menue and choosed osx... the darwin boot loader is appearing and counting 5 secs... then starts darwin, the apple sign comes up and after ca. 3-5 minutes it hangs with a no parking sign...

i used boot.ini and that chain.0 file to try dual boot and in that bootfile.plist of darwin/mac i statued a time countdown of 5 secs.

i tried the same procedere in verbose mode... and after showing up some drivers (usb and firewire) it hangs again...

then that well known message appears: “still waiting for root device”...

thats my problem! why is the hard drive not recognized??? darwin boot loader shows after stroking F8 the right start partition and begins to load drivers... but i think darwin IS using the start up informations from the right partition... (i don't have another osx drive or osx DVD running)

any suggestions?

i don't like that idea of always having my pc open and unplug and change manually drives on the bus cable...

btw... if i got osx started it works pretty fine... and relativly fast so that you can work with InDesign and Acrobat for example...

joern

problems with dual boot after a clean install that works fine as a standalone...

hi!

i got my osx 10.4.3 installed on a second harddisk on the first partition (normally disk1s1 or secondary master in that bios).

but... i only got it recognized and installed when i changed the hd to the first master or disk0s1... i opened my pc and changed the bus cable...

in this combination i can boot osx really fine and some kinda fast...

but... in this configuration i don't have that win xp disk (which is normally disk0) at hand (cause it's unplugged) and my secondary slave which normally is my second DVD drive and burner will not be recognized in osx (only my first DVD drive which isn't a burning drive)...

when i reconfigure my drives (XP on disk0 - bootdisk and first master, DVD drive as first slave, osx on disk1s1 and secondary master, DVD burning drive as secondary slave) windows will load correct... i get that boot menue and choosed osx... the darwin boot loader is appearing and counting 5 secs... then starts darwin, the apple sign comes up and after ca. 3-5 minutes it hangs with a no parking sign...

i used boot.ini and that chain.0 file to try dual boot and in that bootfile.plist of darwin/mac i statued a time countdown of 5 secs.

i tried the same procedere in verbose mode... and after showing up some drivers (usb and firewire) it hangs again...

then that well known message appears: “still waiting for root device”...

thats my problem! why is the hard drive not recognized??? darwin boot loader shows after stroking F8 the right start partition and begins to load drivers... but i think darwin IS using the start up informations from the right partition... (i don't have another osx drive or osx DVD running)

any suggestions?

i don't like that idea of always having my pc open and unplug and change manually drives on the bus cable...

btw... if i got osx started it works pretty fine... and relativly fast so that you can work with InDesign and Acrobat for example...

joern

hi again!

i got this problem fixed! :D

i changed the queues of the 2 ATA-Busses: XP on disk0 - bootdisk and first master, osx on disk1s1 and first slave, DVD drive as secondary master, DVD burning drive as secondary slave...

... and that's it! i've got dual-booting with no problems! with that mentioned chain0 method. :-)

now i have a new problem:

osx seems to have difficulties to recognize my second ATA-bus... both DVD drives are not mounted!

i have "only" all my partitions mounted (NTFS & HFS+)...

any suggestions?

joern

nx6110 laptop triple boot xp home osx 4.5 ubuntu 5.10

how i did it first booted from

osx86_10.4.4__10.4.5_prepatched_Install_DVD

wiped the hd with the disk utility and created 3 partitions

left 1 and 3 empty and formatted 2 as mac extended installed osx onto this.

next booted xp home cd selected 1st partition and formated fat32 then quit

rebooted with xphome install disk and installed xp

next booted ubuntu 5.10 install dvd

chose to install to largest free space (partition 3)

installed grub to MBR only Xp detected but no worries

next edited menu.lst in ubuntu and basically copied the entry for xphome

changed xp home to osx 86

and hda0,0 to hda0,1

now grub loads choose from menu any boot option

with osx86 i get a further boot option of osx or xp

pretty simple

with osx86 I needed to get round the external monitor problem

first set the desktops to mirror (you do need an external monitor for this)

i then used 2 resistors of about 150 ohms on the external vga port

one pin 1-6 the other pin2 to 12.

the only problems were enabling wifi in both ubuntu and osx

with ubuntu you need the ndiswrapper and the broadcom inf and sys files

with osx you need to modify the entry for the chipset.

check the 10.4.3 wiki entry for nx6110 for details.

ubuntu is a great linux distro and everything i needed to know is available in the wiki

OK so i did have XP and OSX running on my Dell Inspiron 9300. I already had XP installed, i then created a new partition using Partition Magic 8, however i am unsure about setting the new partition to active or not. Some posts have said that in XP you do not have to set it to active. I changed the boot.ini file and checked boot paths and all was ok, i then saved it to the root of my C:\ drive and also placed chain0 there aswell and set them both to hidden incase of accidental deletion. I then restarted and booted of my dvd drive and ran OSX, went into Disk Utilities formated the the new drive using the MAC journal option and installed onto that drive, all loaded up and all was well, however when i restart and try to go into OSX i get a message saying missing hal.dll file or something about unable to boot from loaction or something. I did not get this the first time i attempted it, so why now. My only thought is that the new partition was set to "active". Obviously i cannot install i 2nd hard drive on my laptop, which drive should be set to primary or logical etc. All was going well............never update OSX....screws it up proper, find a patch for updating !!! Please help...anyone. I have read the threads about Dual Booting, i cant see anything that i have not already tried.