547 replies to this topic

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

@vinnychase,

I think the problem for Clover is the partition layout of your Windows drive....

UGNvkGa.png

Usually the EFI System partition is the first partition on the drive so Clover maybe getting confused with it being the second. 

Another user had a similar problem booting Windows with Clover when the EFI partition was not the first partition on the drive - see post by @cool_recep

Below is the partition layout I use with Windows X64_UEFI installed on the same drive as Mavericks.  Clover on this drive can still boot UEFI Windows Server 2012 installed on a separate external USB HD (whose EFI is the first partition).

post-846696-0-55063300-1388230773_thumb.

I would use GDisk to remove the Windows Recovery Partition (backup everything first, also read man page for GDisk) and then try booting into Windows with Clover....

You should see something like "Boot Microsoft EFI menu from EFI"

---->"Run bootmgfw.efi"

post-846696-0-18343000-1398036900_thumb.

A few tips for anyone dual booting Windows/OSX

An annoying quirk for dual booters is that Windows and OSX use different clocks:  OSX and Linux use GMT time while Windows uses local time for the clock.  To get around this and keep time in synch between the OS's, I set the key RealTimeIsUniversal=1 in the Windows registry - instructions here from Prasys's blog.

You can install Apple's bootcamp HFS drivers in Windows by following the instructions in this guide.  They enable you to access your OSX partition in read only mode (so you can copy over important files to the Windows partition as backup for example).

I keep a FAT32 "Shared Data" partition that contains my documents, pictures, music etc that can be accessed by both OSX and Windows.

slayer2333

slayer2333

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

I am using a 5 boot configuration on 2 separate HDDs within my laptop:

HDD 1 : 128Gb SSD (NTFS GUID) used only for windows 8.1 pro

HDD 2 : 1 TB 5400 RPM (GUID) with a total of 5 partitions:

• Partition 1 : 200 MB FAT32 EFI partition that includes boot files for all my OSes and tools : Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04, MacOSX 10.9.4, Acronis Boot Manager and Yosemite 10.10.
  • Partition 2:  300GB Extended HFS for Mac OSX 10.9.4
  • Partition 3:  50GB EXT4 for Ubuntu
  • Partition 4:  50GB Extended HFS for Yosemite 10.10 (for testing purposes)
  • Partition 5:  600GB NTFS as a Data/Acronis backup partition for both OSX and Windows (using Paragon NTFS on OSX, and Macdrive on Windows)

I'm using TimeIsUniversal Trick to get rid of time difference between Windows and Mac.

The only headache that i am having now is that usually after rebooting from mac then switching to Windows (always from clover, no shutdown), it takes much longer to get windows to load (i see the spinning circle from windows but there is no disk activity showing that it is loading until ~5min has passed). Whereas with a cold boot i get into windows within ~5sec.  If anyone encountered similar issue and solved it please let me know how.

I did not see any difference in installation order (Windows, Mac, Linux), i had to format and reinstall each of them separately at a certain time (while keeping the other OSes intact) and without any problems.

Marius_rg

Marius_rg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I'm trying to move windows 8 to the same HDD with OSX 10 already installed, using clover as.uefi bootloader...but I'm not sure what am I doing wrong.
To summarize :
- booting fine OSX using clover
- booting fine win8 installed on a second disk.
- if I boot to win installer and format de partition to ntfs and proceed with the installation, after the first reboot I do not see the windows 8 boot drive, hence not able to complete the installation.
- if I format the partition from OSX to ntfs and when installing windows 8 I continue the process without reformatting the partition... I am able to see the boot drive in clover, but cannot boot. (getting boot0 error)

So, I'm stuck at this point.

Marius_rg

Marius_rg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I resolved in the end, had to boot from uefi installer.

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Just an update for this old thread...

@avin7000 has posted an excellent guide to Install Windows 8 UEFI on Legacy BIOS machines with Clover (and Dual boot with Yosemite) in the tutorials section.  This is the best way to dual/multi boot when using Clover as your bootloader, even on old machines with legacy BIOS instead of UEFI firmware.

Also see post #29 for how to install Linux Mint 17.1 in UEFI mode alongside Windows and OSX on a single hard drive (and create a multi-boot Clover/WindowsX64/Linux/OSX installer USB :)).

For those who have legacy Windows installed on an MBR drive and OSX on a separate GPT hard disk, I have created a guide using EasyBCD/Grub4DOS to chainload Clover/Chameleon from the Windows bootloader, leaving the Windows installation native and "untouched".

corei3cpu

corei3cpu

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Hello,

I have an HP z800 with Legacy bios only.  Two 120gb SSD's . One for OS-X El Capitan and the other for Windows-10

I have the operating systems installed and setup correctly on both SSD's and they work fine.

My problem is with the Clover boot loader. I am trying to use the clover boot loader to Dual boot however I get this error 

when trying to boot into Windows-10

---------------------

The Windows-10 message reads : 
File missing or damaged File:\windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code : 0x0000225

The file is there and I ran repair commands. However this did not fix the problem.
My windows-10 installation is fine and loads correctly via system bios boot options.

---------------------

How can I fix this so that I can use the Clover boot loader to boot into Windows-10 ?

I am using legacy clover boot loader ( Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg )

I think the problem could be the Microsoft folder boot options in the clover EFI
Or maybe I just need to use a different version of clover boot loader ?

You can download my EFI folder from link as it was to big to upload.

https://www.dropbox....FI_001.zip?dl=0

Hello,
I have a legacy xeon build with a legacy bios.
I am running dual boot El Capitan and MS-Win-10
I am using legacy clover boot loader ( Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg ) from post tools package.
https://www.tonymacx...tall-tools.294/

I have followed tonymac guide for installation.
https://www.tonymacx...ased-pc.172672/

I have everything working fine except for dual boot via clover boot loader.
My OS installations are fine and I can boot into them via the system bios boot options.

My problem is when I select to boot into the Window-10 disk via clover boot loader I receive this error message.

The Windows-10 message reads : 
File missing or damaged File:\windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code : 0x0000225

The file is there and I ran repair commands. However this did not fix the problem.
My windows-10 installation is fine and loads correctly via system bios boot options.

I can boot into OS-X just fine. It is when I select to boot into the Windows-10 disk that I receive this error message.
There is nothing wrong with my Windows-10 installation. It works just fine.
I think the problem lies with my Clover boot loader. Dual boot works fine in all my other builds.
However in those builds I am using the UEFI bios and UEFI Clover boot loader.

I followed these instructions on how to configure dual boot 

Fix Dual Booting
At this point, the machine will be booting only to Windows. Insert your El Capitan install USB drive and restart. Use F12 if needed to boot to the USB.
You should see a Clover menu. Select Boot Mac OS X from YourDriveName.
Once in OS X, mount your EFI partition with EFI Mounter v3
Go to the EFI partition
Go to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
Copy EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Eject the El Capitan install USB drive
Reboot
You should get a Clover menu, with the usual settings to boot to OS X and also new Windows options. To start Windows, select Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI.
After future Windows updates, Windows may reset the EFI partition to boot only to Windows again. You'll need to repeat the steps in this section.
You should now be able to boot to both Windows and OS X!

I think the problem could be the Microsoft folder boot options in the clover EFI
Or maybe I just need to use a different version of clover boot loader ?

klepp0906

klepp0906

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Quick inquiry guys.  Ive been toying with this idea and absorbing information here or there for awhile.   With the release of pascal drivers, its finally time.  I run a very convoluted system (sli/multimonitor/raid) but my question is simple.

Will it be possible to dual boot with windows (pre-existing) on my ssd raid 0 array and mac on its own seperate Hard disk?  I know if both were on the same disk (aka the raid array) it would/could be problematic but I want to make sure before I set plans in motion/get the ball rolling.

theosteve

theosteve

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

I'd like to take the plunge into dual booting. I have a custom built machine with an SSD on which I tried partially successfully to install MacOS Sierra. It functions, but I'm struggling to get the USB to work correctly. To have something I could work with more consistently for now, I had a friend help me install Ubuntu 16.04 on a separate SSD. I'd like to set it up as a dual boot system, so I can continue to try to get the MacOS working properly.

Most of the tutorials I've read deal with installing the boot manager while installing an OS. Will I be able to successfully install a boot manager with both OSes already installed on their own disks? On which disk would it be better to install the boot manager? Any suggestions?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2017 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy