543 replies to this topic

fusion71au

fusion71au

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

@vinnychase,

I think the problem for Clover is the partition layout of your Windows drive....

UGNvkGa.png

Usually the EFI System partition is the first partition on the drive so Clover maybe getting confused with it being the second. 

Another user had a similar problem booting Windows with Clover when the EFI partition was not the first partition on the drive - see post by @cool_recep

Below is the partition layout I use with Windows X64_UEFI installed on the same drive as Mavericks.  Clover on this drive can still boot UEFI Windows Server 2012 installed on a separate external USB HD (whose EFI is the first partition).

post-846696-0-55063300-1388230773_thumb.

I would use GDisk to remove the Windows Recovery Partition (backup everything first, also read man page for GDisk) and then try booting into Windows with Clover....

You should see something like "Boot Microsoft EFI menu from EFI"

---->"Run bootmgfw.efi"

post-846696-0-18343000-1398036900_thumb.

A few tips for anyone dual booting Windows/OSX

An annoying quirk for dual booters is that Windows and OSX use different clocks:  OSX and Linux use GMT time while Windows uses local time for the clock.  To get around this and keep time in synch between the OS's, I set the key RealTimeIsUniversal=1 in the Windows registry - instructions here from Prasys's blog.

You can install Apple's bootcamp HFS drivers in Windows by following the instructions in this guide.  They enable you to access your OSX partition in read only mode (so you can copy over important files to the Windows partition as backup for example).

I keep a FAT32 "Shared Data" partition that contains my documents, pictures, music etc that can be accessed by both OSX and Windows.

slayer2333

slayer2333

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

I am using a 5 boot configuration on 2 separate HDDs within my laptop:

HDD 1 : 128Gb SSD (NTFS GUID) used only for windows 8.1 pro

HDD 2 : 1 TB 5400 RPM (GUID) with a total of 5 partitions:

• Partition 1 : 200 MB FAT32 EFI partition that includes boot files for all my OSes and tools : Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04, MacOSX 10.9.4, Acronis Boot Manager and Yosemite 10.10.
  • Partition 2:  300GB Extended HFS for Mac OSX 10.9.4
  • Partition 3:  50GB EXT4 for Ubuntu
  • Partition 4:  50GB Extended HFS for Yosemite 10.10 (for testing purposes)
  • Partition 5:  600GB NTFS as a Data/Acronis backup partition for both OSX and Windows (using Paragon NTFS on OSX, and Macdrive on Windows)

I'm using TimeIsUniversal Trick to get rid of time difference between Windows and Mac.

The only headache that i am having now is that usually after rebooting from mac then switching to Windows (always from clover, no shutdown), it takes much longer to get windows to load (i see the spinning circle from windows but there is no disk activity showing that it is loading until ~5min has passed). Whereas with a cold boot i get into windows within ~5sec.  If anyone encountered similar issue and solved it please let me know how.

I did not see any difference in installation order (Windows, Mac, Linux), i had to format and reinstall each of them separately at a certain time (while keeping the other OSes intact) and without any problems.

Marius_rg

Marius_rg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I'm trying to move windows 8 to the same HDD with OSX 10 already installed, using clover as.uefi bootloader...but I'm not sure what am I doing wrong.
To summarize :
- booting fine OSX using clover
- booting fine win8 installed on a second disk.
- if I boot to win installer and format de partition to ntfs and proceed with the installation, after the first reboot I do not see the windows 8 boot drive, hence not able to complete the installation.
- if I format the partition from OSX to ntfs and when installing windows 8 I continue the process without reformatting the partition... I am able to see the boot drive in clover, but cannot boot. (getting boot0 error)

So, I'm stuck at this point.

Marius_rg

Marius_rg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
I resolved in the end, had to boot from uefi installer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy