543 replies to this topic

baller2319

baller2319

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Hi,

I have sort of followed what the poster above me (keeza) has done, but not exactly in that order.

I have a fully functioning OS X install with Chameleon RC2 installed. This is on a single partition, first sata drive. When I try to boot into Windows 7 which is on my second drive (again, single partition), it quickly blue screens and restarts.

There are another 2 drives connected, one ntfs and one macos, but neither of these hold operating systems and are not bootable.

Why would my system bluescreen when I use a similar setup to keeza ?

I am having the same issue, have you come across a solution for this problem ?

mustiCas

mustiCas

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

I am having the same issue, have you come across a solution for this problem ?

Me too, exactly the same problem. I am soon going to reinstall W7 if there is no solution for this.

soyelsimo

soyelsimo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there!!!

Well, I've been trying diferent guides and of course diferente try to hackintosh my Soni vaio Vgn Fw21M.

I know the problem with my graphic card, and I run Kalyway 10.5.2 without grafic drivers and it runs with low resolution, but its ok for me.

My real issue is the dual boot. My case si this, hope someone can dropme anu clue.

I install Vista on the first partition with 180gb and in a second one Kalyway with other 180gb. After Kaly installation it runs and finish the setup without problems.

When I come back to Vista (making its partition active) Vista needs reparation, Ok i gon on it. Vista Boots, but theres nothing about Kaly. Then I go back to Kaly (making its partition active) but it boots just with the dvd on the drive.
Why is this happening?

Anyway I've tried to dualboot with darwing. Once i did it And it was showing the 3 partitions in my Hard drive, This are the partitions:
1.Restore Info
2.Vista
3.Leo Kalyway

If I choose Leo it runs, but if I choose vista it gives an error in com.apple.plist, couldn't be found. I've tried to modify it, how some guides says, but same error.

I didn't try the dual boot with vista's bootloader because I cant find the chain0 file in the DVD neither in the Kaly drive. My Dvd just has 1 or 2 files (i don't remember) I tried seeing the hide file but, just the same.

So finally I came back to Vista, repaired it again and it runs. But how i said, vista goes straight.

My last idea is using a OS/Selector, I've been reading a little about and I think Grub would be my best option.
But I don't know if i can use it without any linux enviroment.

So please If anybody has any suggestion, don't hesitate!!!!
I'm getting crazyyyy!!! and maybe I give up....

Thank a lot!!!

gdscei

gdscei

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Can OS X WRITE to NTFS?
my dual-booting works great, but i have read-only access to my XP NTFS partition.. it would be great if i could write to it from OS X.
Is this possible?

Use NTFS 3G.

Harkoni

Harkoni

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Hi there!!!

Well, I've been trying diferent guides and of course diferente try to hackintosh my Soni vaio Vgn Fw21M.

I know the problem with my graphic card, and I run Kalyway 10.5.2 without grafic drivers and it runs with low resolution, but its ok for me.

My real issue is the dual boot. My case si this, hope someone can dropme anu clue.

I install Vista on the first partition with 180gb and in a second one Kalyway with other 180gb. After Kaly installation it runs and finish the setup without problems.

When I come back to Vista (making its partition active) Vista needs reparation, Ok i gon on it. Vista Boots, but theres nothing about Kaly. Then I go back to Kaly (making its partition active) but it boots just with the dvd on the drive.
Why is this happening?

Anyway I've tried to dualboot with darwing. Once i did it And it was showing the 3 partitions in my Hard drive, This are the partitions:
1.Restore Info
2.Vista
3.Leo Kalyway

If I choose Leo it runs, but if I choose vista it gives an error in com.apple.plist, couldn't be found. I've tried to modify it, how some guides says, but same error.

I didn't try the dual boot with vista's bootloader because I cant find the chain0 file in the DVD neither in the Kaly drive. My Dvd just has 1 or 2 files (i don't remember) I tried seeing the hide file but, just the same.

So finally I came back to Vista, repaired it again and it runs. But how i said, vista goes straight.

My last idea is using a OS/Selector, I've been reading a little about and I think Grub would be my best option.
But I don't know if i can use it without any linux enviroment.

So please If anybody has any suggestion, don't hesitate!!!!
I'm getting crazyyyy!!! and maybe I give up....

Thank a lot!!!

Chain0 file can be found anywhere, it's just a general boot0 file from Mac OS X Leopard. So search for 'download boot0 leopard', something like that.

For the detailed preocedure with boot0: follow step 2.2 of my guide

good luck with it. Let me know if it worked out.

Gtz

soyelsimo

soyelsimo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Chain0 file can be found anywhere, it's just a general boot0 file from Mac OS X Leopard. So search for 'download boot0 leopard', something like that.

For the detailed preocedure with boot0: follow step 2.2 of my guide

good luck with it. Let me know if it worked out.

Gtz

Thanks I'll try and tell you
XD

battista

battista

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Does someone have a grub2 based multi-boot solution?

kd7skx

kd7skx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Triple booting iDeneb, Vista, Ubuntu

First grab iDeneb. Make the DVD.

Boot the DVD, load diskutility and format the hard drive with three partitions, one journaled and two free space

Reboot

Now boot the vista cd. Format the free space enough for your vista install, with enough left over for what you want to use for ubuntu. Finish install.

Reboot

Boot ubuntu CD, once you get to the partitioner do custom partition, set up a partition for ubuntu and another for swap space out of the left over freespace. Continue till you get to the last screen and select the advanced option. Hear make sure you install the boot loader to the ubuntu partion only, not the whole harddrive. Finish install.

Reboot

Boot iDeneb again and finish installing on its partition you assigned in the first step.

Reboot

Boot the ubuntu cd again, boot it into try before install option. Load gparted. Remove the boot flag from vista, and add a boot flag to the osx partition.

Reboot

Now you should get the chameleon 1.0 boot loader screen with all three systems showing up. Now just boot each of them how you like and enjoy.

Mull7965

Mull7965

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Dual booting of Windows 7 and Snow Leopard from the same hard-drive is relatively easy to achieve. It took me a few hours of trial and error, though, to find the easy way.

First, use Chameleon and a USB stick to boot the Snow Leopard installer. This is described in detail in the Lifehacker[1] guide for example.

In the Snow Leopard installer partition your hard disk. Use a GUID partition table and create (at least) two partitions; the first one a FAT32 partition that will hold Windows 7 later, and the second one a Journaled HFS+ partition for Snow Leopard.

After installing Snow Leopard make sure that you can boot it from the hard-drive without the USB stick. The procedure to achieve this is described in the Lifehacker guide mentioned before. On my system, for example, I used the following commands. Your disk and volume names may vary. The three boot files, boot0, boot1h, and boot came from the Chameleon distribution.

sudo fdisk -f boot0 -u -y /dev/rdisk0
sudo dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdisk0s3
sudo cp boot "/Volumes/Hackintosh HD"

Next, make sure the USB stick isn't still plugged in and boot your system from the Windows 7 installer DVD. The installer should see the FAT32 partition created earlier and, after a conversion to NTFS, should allow you to install Windows 7 onto this partition.

After the Windows install, when your system reboots it will boot into the Windows bootloader, which will only show the just installed Windows 7. Don't panic. Back in Windows 7 download EasyBCD[2] and add the Snow Leopard partition to the Windows boot loader. You must use a tool like EasyBCD because beginning with Vista the Windows boot loader no longer uses an easy to access text file.

This should be it. More detail and background in my Hackintosh guide:

http://www.mulle-kyb...kel/hackintosh/

Hope this helps.

[1] http://lifehacker.co...start-to-finish
[2] http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

liz

liz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

If you're dual booting or triple booting OS X with Windows and/or Linux, let us know in this thread how you did it! Once the Intel Macs come out, a lot of people will be wanting to know how to dual boot OS X. For more Dual Boot guides, check out our wiki.

Share your experience here.

Sucessfully dual booted Vista & OS X86 10.4.11:
======================================

Using 1 internal harddrive, i partitioned into 2 (one for Vista and one for OS X)

Installed Vista on 2nd drive

Disabled UAC (User Account Control) before installing Mac OS X.
To do so, press WIN+R to open the Run prompt, type in MSCONFIG to open the System Configuration Utility, click on the Tools tab, scroll down and select 'Disable UAC' then press Launch.

Make sure you're on the desktop of your Windows installation.
Press WIN+R to open the Run prompt, then type DISKPART and press Enter.
Now we're going to use DISKPART to create a HFS+ compatible Mac partition that we can boot off.

Follow these next set of commands:

DISKPART> list disk
Will show you a list of selectable disks

DISKPART> select disk n
[where n = the disk number]
This will specify which disk to create a new partition on, assuming you have already used the XP Install Disc, Partition Magic or Windows Disk Management to set aside some unformatted space. If not, and the drive you want to install Mac OS X on is empty, just follow the instructions immediately below for creating a partition.

DISKPART> create partition primary size=n id=af
[where n = the size in MB of the partition, however if no size is specified then the remaining space of that drive is used]
[where af = hfs+ compatible]
Will proceed to create a bootable primary partition for the Mac

For example: create partition primary size=100000 id=af
This will create a 100GB partition for Mac OS X.

DISKPART> list partition
This will show you the partitions on your selected disk

DISKPART> select partition n
[where n = the newly created OSX partition]
This will specify the partition

DISKPART> active
Will make your OS X partition the first-boot active partition

DISKPART> Exit
Leaves DiskPart...

Put your bootable Mac OS X Tiger or Leopard Installation Disc into the DVD drive and restart your computer.

Make sure you press any key to boot off the DVD when it asks; the Darwin prompt should then appear and proceed to load the Mac OS X installation process.

Once it has finished loading and displays the first prompt after language select, click to the menu bar at the very top and load Disk Utility.

A list of disks should appear on the Left, using your Mouse, right click on the newly created Mac partition, click on Erase, this will allow the Mac to prepare the File System for OS X installation.
Quit Disk Utility and continue installing Mac OS X; remember to select 'customize' and specify which components you require for your system.
Once installed, load up Disk Utility again and repair permissions.

If you experience an HFS+ error after restarting, this is because of Vista. It can be fixed by:

Vista's Boot Loader changes a few things which leaves the Mac's MBR (Master Boot Record) crippled.
Before reading on, you might want to check the PID (Partition Identifier) of your Mac partition first, so scroll down to the bottom section for fixing re-occuring HFS+ errors.

Firstly, you'll have to boot off your OS X Installation Disc in single user mode. This can be done by pressing F8 at the disc's Darwin Prompt and typing -s.
At the single user prompt, type these commands exactly:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
Specifies the disc that you have Vista and OS X installed to
The specified location rdisk0 may of course be different if Vista or OS X was installed on a different drive, e.g. rdisk1, rdisk2

flag 2
Marks OS X as the active partition (or if you installed OS X 1st and Vista 2nd, change the flag to 1)

update
Update machine code in loaded MBR

write
Write loaded MBR to disk

quit
This will quit fdisk and take you back to the normal single user prompt

reboot
Your machine will restart and boot OS X as normal

Once you're happy that OS X has booted normally, restart back into single user prompt using the OS X Installation Disc.
Type these commands exactly:

fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0
Specifies the disc that you have Vista and OS X installed to

flag 1
Marks Vista as the active partition (or if you installed OS X 1st and Vista 2nd, change the flag to 2)

quit
This will quit fdisk and take you back to the normal single user prompt

reboot
Your machine will restart and boot Vista

Vista will say "\Windows\System32\winload" corrupted, don't panic! this is normal, however, to fix this problem you must now restart and boot from your Vista Installation Disc. If you only have the Vista Recovery Disc, then you must obtain an actual bootable installation disc.

Select your language then click 'Repair your computer' and if required, select the Vista installation you wish to repair.
Once the System Recovery Options prompt appears, click 'Repair and restart'.
This entire process has to be completed, otherwise Darwin will fail to see Vista as as bootable OS.
Check to see if everything is fine by letting it boot back into your Vista installation, or if this is not done automatically, restart the machine.
You can now proceed to add Mac OS X with EasyBCD or via the command line method, or for whatever reason, you can use DISKPART to mark Partition 2 as active again so that you can boot directly into the Mac.

If the Vista Boot Loader does not work at all with your Mac OS X partition, you can just simply mark Partition 2 as active and use the F8 method to select which OS to boot from.
No fancy graphics like Vista's method, but hell, it works perfectly :D

You should now be able to either boot into Vista or OSX by pressing f8 at the boot screen.

Good Luck

Lizg

akadis

akadis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there... I succesfully made a dual Kalyway 10.5.1/Windows 7 RTM on an Intel q9300/Asus p5e as follows - no hacking required, start from scratch thought:

1. Start Kalyway installation and make two partitions, the first journaled-extended and the second NOT free but MSDOS fat - also I use GUID scheme

2. Start Wwindows 7 installation on the second partition

3. Start Kalyway installation on the first

that;s all

HTH

edit: You may want to check this as well since it will otherwise finally create 3 startup options, a blank one, the MAC and the foreign .....

http://www.mydigital...ling-windows-7/

roblin1971

roblin1971

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, here is mine!

Already had an install of XP and 10.5.6 on the same drive, obviously two separate partitions. Using chamelon to dual boot, easy no problem at all.

I then installed Windows 7 into a new 60gig drive that was in my PS3 :)

When I rebooted only the option to boot xp or 7 was there.

I also noticed that 7 didn't or couldn't see my drive with xp and os x on it when in explorer!

So I downloaded EasyBCD which allows you to modify Vista and 7 boot loaders. I then went into windows drive management via my computer, and gave my xp drive a letter. Then via EBCD I added a mac boot option.

Rebooted and the option for mac was there, it then leads you to the original boot selection screen of XP or Mac.

All OS are working 100%..

karchis

karchis

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
hye...i have 2 hard disk..1 hd with windows 7..and the other 1 is iatkosv7..

i can boot both of it..but i have to press f12 to change boot order..

i already try by copy chain0 into C..but i think it is possible if both os in same hard disk..

any idea..how i want to boot without pressing f12?try using easybcd 2.0 beta..but failed..
is master or slave have a reason for this error?

thx..

Kari_Juhani

Kari_Juhani

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Donators
  • 83 posts
  • Interests:Messing around, annoying other people, fixing things that are not broken, and - of course - put...
i dont know if this is knowledge, but to me it was a new thing:

My set up is like this :

d0 = Snow
d1 = BlackHole (just a store for HFS+)
d2 = a dvd
d5= Win7

I did install OSX first, and before i did that i made it first bootdisk from bios.

when everything work, i made d5 as first disk and installed Win7 on it. After upgrading and so on i made d0 as first again and Chameleon is now booting and showing all bootable partition.

BUT :

there are 4 of them, in this order

MacIntosh HD (OSX) / System Reserved / DasBoot (Win7) / MaXtor (USB HD)

If i want to boot Win7, i choose System Reserved, not DasBoot !

Multiboot works !

- i have tried before to boot directly with DasBoot (Win7) and always get error that "boot .... missing". JUst stupid of me not to try this before.

Kari

UnderOath777

UnderOath777

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
How I did dual boot with 2 different HDD drive (HDD 0- Windows XP, HDD 1 - Leo Retail 10.5):

1. Install Acronis OS selector on HHD0 when I installed Windows.
2. Install Chameleon RC3 on HDD1 When i Installed Leo Retail
3. In BIOS Boot from HDD0
4. In Acronis Settings Default OS Leo, and choose 0 second wait for default OS...

When I boot, first off all boot Acronis and after (after approximately 2 seconds) automatic default boot chameleon, when working 2 system leo and xp

sorry for my english.... Hope it will help someone

Bladerunner23

Bladerunner23

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
I have a Dell Vostro 1500 with Hackintosh.

I want to have Windows on it but I don't want to reinstall OSX...is there any way I can do this?

Preferably Windows 7 but will settle for Vista.

Any idea?

lordofthedread

lordofthedread

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Here how i did :

Installed windows 7 ultimate 64 on my first HD using my bios preferences to match the Mac OSX install.

Unplugged the disk and installed OSX 6.0 on another disk then upgraded to 6.2 and made the disk bootable.

Plugged back my Win 7 disk.

Press f12 at boot to choose wich drive u want.

works great so far i'm on read only on my NTFS drive but no big deal i also can access other computers on my network wich are win7.

Here is my config :

Gigabyte EP43 D3SL
Q8200 Core 2 QUAD
GeForce 8500GS 512mb (planning on ATI 4850 soon)
4 GB DDR2 800
IDE DVD Rom (not recognized on OSX)
HD SATA Seagate 250go as windows main
HD SATA Samsung 160go as OSX main
Regular USB keyboard
2.4Ghz Wireless mouse USB (works great)
Bluetooth dongle noname (paid 4$ for it) wich is working great with any bluetooth device (tried even Mac keyboards)

i used method from lifehacker with EP45 UD3P package.

mikewill57

mikewill57

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Here's how I dual boot Windows 7 & OSX Leo4All 10.5.4:

Have 7 installed first off (if you want to start clean I suggest googling how to install 7 without hidden 100mb partition as it shows up in OSX and is not necessary)
If you googled that step you don't need to the next couple, but if you are working straight from 7 you do.
Go to partition manager and shrink your partition by desired amount.
DO NOT FORMAT OR DO ANYTHING AT ALL TO NEW PARTITION!!!
Now go to cmd
"diskpart"
"select disk 0"
"create partition primary id=af"
"list partition"
"select partition 2"
"active"
"exit"
"exit"

What that did was make an HFS+ partition using the entirety of the free space you created earlier. You can specify a size by putting "size=amount in mb's" after the word primary above.

Install OSX and bootloader of choice (I suggest Chameleon RC3 package by dadaz)
Once OSX is installed restart, you'll see both OS' listed but 7 won't boot.
Boot 7 from the install dvd
Select language and hit next
Repair computer
Command Prompt
diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 1
active
exit
exit

Then choose startup repair and restart when prompted. If still won't boot go to install dvd again and startup repair restart, should be good.

In 7 cmd
diskpart
select disk 0
select partition 2
active
exit
exit

Should be able to boot into 7 or OSX from Chameleon from there. If you get com.apple.boot.plist error I set a power password that I have to enter at power-up and it solved that. You'll find that in your BIOS. You may not be disk 0 and partition 1&2 so sub your numbers for what they are. To access files on either OS from the other put NTFS-3G on OSX and Macdrive on 7. Good luck!

Gbrandan

Gbrandan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
well I am pretty new to this so this is what I did.
My Laptop:
Acer Aspire 6920 Gemstone Blue
Chipset & Processor:
Intel Core Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz
Mobile Intel PM9765 Express chipset
Itel wireless WiFi link 4965AGN
3 gig RAM, DDR2 667 MGHz
320gig HDD
NVIDIA Geoforce 9500 GS graphics

Well I use a copy of iDenib v. 1.7 10.5.7, I already have Windows 7 Ultimate on my machine, made the partition and all that. Install went good till it rebooted, then it did a Kernel Panic. Rebooted again and it went through only my touchpad & keyboard will not work. I can attach a usb mouse and that will work well. But still no luck on getting the keyboard to work. Also I keep getting these Kernel Panics, about every other reboot. ??? Windows 7 boots fine and OSX seems to be a little buggy to boot. I am going to try iAtkos 7 and see if anything will change for me. If any one can help it would be great. Buyt thus far it seems like a half way sucsessful dual boot of a GEMSTONE BLUE. If anyone can help lease email gbrandan@yahoo.com, i check it all day. Thanks guys.

luke.m

luke.m

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
i am really having trouble with dual booting and i have been following lots of different threads.

i am running Win7 64bit on my acer 4920 (320gb HDD)

i would like to install Iaktos v7 on a separate partition , i went into my computer-manage - drive, and then created a partition to install Iaktos on, i then rebooted the laptop with Iaktos disc and went to format partition, but it couldnt see the drive or partition, i tried to create a partition in disk utility option, but when trying i get "I/O error"

pls pls help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy