The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

I formatted my drive with mac into 3 partitions the first thing I did then was install lion.

Then I installed win7 and let it get the mbr. I now have a left over fat drive to share data.

I boot into osx with a dvd, I dont want boot menus because wife uses this lappy too.

Is there a way to make a bootable usb pen to take the place of my dvd boot.

I can use a 8 gig stick to burn the iso to it from mac but I am not sure the pc bios will see it when I select boot from usb.

Any Ideas. Comments.

Glad to tell how I did it.

• 6 months later...

I have an Asus X53S Notebook. Mac and Windows set to dualboot :)

Here's how I installed it:

• Installed Windows 7
  • Install Lion on top of it under a partition.
  • Boot broke and I got boot0 errors so I had to manually install Chameleon. (I have one of those 4kb harddrives)
  • So it all works now. When I turn it on boot0 flashes and Chameleon loads.

Had issues with Windows Hibernation which I solved in this thread of mine:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=277733&hl=&fromsearch=1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I also have a dual boot, but after installing a bootloader via ###### (otherwise, it would always boot into windows without an option to choose OSX), my windows doesn't boot anymore... All I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. after a couple of seconds, the screens goes black and the blinking cursor re-appears... anyone an idea what to do?

• 5 months later...

Please, help me.

My situation: ASROCK Z77 Pro4, i5 3450 iVY bridge, first disk SSD OCZ Vertex3 60 GB with installed Windows 8 UEFI, second disk WD Blue is splitted to two partitions, first is NTFS, second is HFS+ Journaled, where is installed ML. When i select booting from first disk, Windows boots. When i select boot from second disk, ML boots. How can i add boot ML to Windows 8 boot menu? I try adding entry to boot OSX with EasyBCD, but no luck. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Triple O/S boot with Chameleon, on GPT (GUID Partition Table) without UEFI.

Warning: This Tutorial at own your risk.

GNU/Linux & OSX can boot on GPT/MBR partition without problem.

win7 just can boot on GPT partition if we have UEFI. source: http://msdn.microsof...e/gg463525.aspx

that's why we must use GPT with Hybrid (GPT+MBR), Hybrid mode max 3 partition recognize, like normal MBR just 3 primary partition.

- source: http://www.rodsbooks...isk/hybrid.html

MBR :

Disk signature is 440Kb first of sector HDD

Boot Loader is 446Kb first of sector HDD

Boot record is 512Kb first of sector HDD

source: http://mbrwizard.com/thembr.php

reconstruction your partition with gptfdisk - http://sourceforge.n...jects/gptfdisk/

-> dd - http://en.wikipedia...../wiki/Dd_(Unix)

like this (just sample):

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size	 Code Name
1		 40	 409639 200.0 MiB EF02 EFI System Partition
2	 411648		 104857600 49.8 GiB	 AF00 Apple HFS/HFS+
3	 105121792	 109316095 2.0 GiB 8200 swap
4	 109578240	 172492799 30.0 GiB	 0700 GNU-linux
5	 172754944	 382468095 100.0 GiB 0700 win
6	 382730240	 913596415 253.1 GiB 0700 data
7	 913858560	 976510983 29.9 GiB	 AF00 backup

and make hybrid (MBR) like this:

Number Boot Start	 Sector End	 Sector Status	 Code
1	 1 	 411647 primary	 0xEE
2	 411648	 104857600	 primary	 0xAF -> osx
3	 172754944 382468095	 primary	 0x07 -> win
4	 382730240 913596415	 primary	 0x07 -> data

without boot flag partition. After that,

1. Install osx with Chameleon better use boot0md instead boot0,

Save disk signature 440Kb (this is 440Kb from 512Kb of boot0 or boot0md chameleon) with dd, #dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/image/name count=1 bs=440

-> can booted with Chameleon

2. Install GNU/Linux, but install Grub2 on your partition GNU/Linux (sdXY = Y number partition) not on HDD (sdX = X is number of HDD)

-> still can booted with Chameleon and automatic recognize GNU/Linux partition if partion code 0700, can't recognize with partion code 8300 (cause this new code on gptfdisk and may be later chameleon can). If booted goes to grub2, you wrong installe grub2, but no matter, run to next step..

3. Install win7,

Save win7 boot record (512Kb) for backup, #dd if=/dev/sdx of=/path/to/image/name count=1 bs=512

-> booted just win7, Chameleon gone.

source: http://www.debianhel...k/ddcommand.htm

with live GNU/Linux or win7 with gptfdisk installed, restore disk signature 440Kb from Chameleon we save

#dd if=/path/to/image/name of=/dev/sdX

and

with gptfdisk, edit hybrid (MBR) boot flag, from win to osx, like this:

Number Boot		 Start Sector		 End Sector	 Status	 Code
1				 1		 411647	 primary	 0xEE
2	 *		 411648			 104857600	 primary	 0xAF
3			 172754944		 382468095	 primary	 0x07
4			 382730240		 913596415	 primary	 0x07

summary: win7 need from 441 - 512Kb of first sector HDD to run.

Sorry guys, i have dual boot with Iatkos ML2 (updated to 10.8.3) and Windows 8, on same disk (GPT partition). Dual boot works, but i have problems.

- Windows update don't works, i can't install any update

- Safe mode and advance reboot menu there isn't,

- If i reboot from windows 8, at the boot i get error (boot0 not found)

Can you help me? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys !

I installed ML 10.8.3 fully working with full hardware acceleration, I got only one problem i cant boot from hard disk i have to use usb everytime for getting to chameleon bootloader menu, and if i install windows 8 after OSX installation then without usb it says "boot0: done" and it loads windows 8 and if i install OSX before windows 8 it says "boot0: error" i tried each and every guide for manually installing chameleon "boot1h" from OSX installer but its doesnt work, plz i need help.

My Notebook specs are....

dell inspiron 15r 5520

cpu = Intel core i5 3210m

ram = 4gb ddr3 1600mhz

gpu = intel hd 4000 & ati hd 7670m

500gb Seagate 5400rpm hdd "Hybird GPT/MBR partition scheme"

1st partition is efi 200mb

2nd partition is OSX

3rd partition is Windows 8

4th partition is Backup storage

• 3 weeks later...

I have a custom-built computer. Here are my specs:

MB: Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3

Processor: AMD FX-8320 @3.5 Ghz (8-core)

Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 650 2 GB DDR5

Optical: Pioneer BD-RW 207D

Hard Drive: ST1000DM 003-1CH162 SATA

RAM: 16 GB DDR3

I have tried all sorts of Methods I have tried the OS86 Projects Mod/Boot CD for AMD processors. I have booted the computer successfully with the mod cd in the drive, then after it comes up to swap the disc with the mac OS X 10.6.7 DVD, I put it in the drive and then I push F5 to refresh. Then I press "Enter" for it to progress on to the installation screen that everyone else gets to, not me though, :0(.

Currently I am using half of the space as a NTFS partition (500 GB) with Windows 7 Professional (x64) and the other half is a HFS+ partition, which was prepped by Gparted which i would like to put my mac install here in the HFS+ partition of course.

I have followed the instructions to a T, and what happens every time, is that I get a instant restart every time after it says "Press any key to continue." What am I doing wrong. could someone help. Thank you.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi insanelymac... 

i'm having some trouble with my dual-boot and posted to /r/hackintosh but it doesn't get as much visability as i would like.

http://goo.gl/kVJUhi

Greetings,

I'm a little stuck here...

1) I installed Windows 8.1 (EFI) to my first SSD. Booted up and installed drivers, It is fully working.

2) Unplugged SSD1 plugged in SSD2 and installed OSX Mavericks 10.9.3 (recently upgraded to 10.9.4) using CLOVER and i installed the audio driver and everything else seems fine (still missing the clock fix and i get that rainbow snow using maps)

3) When i boot into the clover bootloader i am able to successfully boot into mac osx. and this works everytime. however none of the windows options allows me to boot into windows. please see the linked youtube video to see what options i have. (http://youtu.be/KORQc_nFtmQ) and the attached imgur for the partition setup i have... http://imgur.com/UGNvkGa

i feel like i'm really close to figuring this out but all the stuff i've read online don't really get into this.

at somepoint i know i can clear up all the drives by editing the file but now i'm not even able to successfully boot into windows using the bootloader.

thanks folks!

@vinnychase,

I think the problem for Clover is the partition layout of your Windows drive....

UGNvkGa.png

Usually the EFI System partition is the first partition on the drive so Clover maybe getting confused with it being the second. 

Another user had a similar problem booting Windows with Clover when the EFI partition was not the first partition on the drive - see post by @cool_recep

Below is the partition layout I use with Windows X64_UEFI installed on the same drive as Mavericks.  Clover on this drive can still boot UEFI Windows Server 2012 installed on a separate external USB HD (whose EFI is the first partition).

post-846696-0-55063300-1388230773_thumb.

I would use GDisk to remove the Windows Recovery Partition (backup everything first, also read man page for GDisk) and then try booting into Windows with Clover....

You should see something like "Boot Microsoft EFI menu from EFI"

---->"Run bootmgfw.efi"

post-846696-0-18343000-1398036900_thumb.

A few tips for anyone dual booting Windows/OSX

An annoying quirk for dual booters is that Windows and OSX use different clocks:  OSX and Linux use GMT time while Windows uses local time for the clock.  To get around this and keep time in synch between the OS's, I set the key RealTimeIsUniversal=1 in the Windows registry - instructions here from Prasys's blog.

You can install Apple's bootcamp HFS drivers in Windows by following the instructions in this guide.  They enable you to access your OSX partition in read only mode (so you can copy over important files to the Windows partition as backup for example).

I keep a FAT32 "Shared Data" partition that contains my documents, pictures, music etc that can be accessed by both OSX and Windows.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am using a 5 boot configuration on 2 separate HDDs within my laptop:

HDD 1 : 128Gb SSD (NTFS GUID) used only for windows 8.1 pro

HDD 2 : 1 TB 5400 RPM (GUID) with a total of 5 partitions:

• Partition 1 : 200 MB FAT32 EFI partition that includes boot files for all my OSes and tools : Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04, MacOSX 10.9.4, Acronis Boot Manager and Yosemite 10.10.
  • Partition 2:  300GB Extended HFS for Mac OSX 10.9.4
  • Partition 3:  50GB EXT4 for Ubuntu
  • Partition 4:  50GB Extended HFS for Yosemite 10.10 (for testing purposes)
  • Partition 5:  600GB NTFS as a Data/Acronis backup partition for both OSX and Windows (using Paragon NTFS on OSX, and Macdrive on Windows)

I'm using TimeIsUniversal Trick to get rid of time difference between Windows and Mac.

The only headache that i am having now is that usually after rebooting from mac then switching to Windows (always from clover, no shutdown), it takes much longer to get windows to load (i see the spinning circle from windows but there is no disk activity showing that it is loading until ~5min has passed). Whereas with a cold boot i get into windows within ~5sec.  If anyone encountered similar issue and solved it please let me know how.

I did not see any difference in installation order (Windows, Mac, Linux), i had to format and reinstall each of them separately at a certain time (while keeping the other OSes intact) and without any problems.

I'm trying to move windows 8 to the same HDD with OSX 10 already installed, using clover as.uefi bootloader...but I'm not sure what am I doing wrong.

To summarize :

- booting fine OSX using clover

- booting fine win8 installed on a second disk.

- if I boot to win installer and format de partition to ntfs and proceed with the installation, after the first reboot I do not see the windows 8 boot drive, hence not able to complete the installation.

- if I format the partition from OSX to ntfs and when installing windows 8 I continue the process without reformatting the partition... I am able to see the boot drive in clover, but cannot boot. (getting boot0 error)

So, I'm stuck at this point.

• 7 months later...

Just an update for this old thread...

@avin7000 has posted an excellent guide to Install Windows 8 UEFI on Legacy BIOS machines with Clover (and Dual boot with Yosemite) in the tutorials section.  This is the best way to dual/multi boot when using Clover as your bootloader, even on old machines with legacy BIOS instead of UEFI firmware.

Also see post #29 for how to install Linux Mint 17.1 in UEFI mode alongside Windows and OSX on a single hard drive (and create a multi-boot Clover/WindowsX64/Linux/OSX installer USB :)).

For those who have legacy Windows installed on an MBR drive and OSX on a separate GPT hard disk, I have created a guide using EasyBCD/Grub4DOS to chainload Clover/Chameleon from the Windows bootloader, leaving the Windows installation native and "untouched".

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Hello,

I have an HP z800 with Legacy bios only.  Two 120gb SSD's . One for OS-X El Capitan and the other for Windows-10

I have the operating systems installed and setup correctly on both SSD's and they work fine.

My problem is with the Clover boot loader. I am trying to use the clover boot loader to Dual boot however I get this error 

when trying to boot into Windows-10

---------------------

The Windows-10 message reads : 
File missing or damaged File:\windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code : 0x0000225

The file is there and I ran repair commands. However this did not fix the problem.
My windows-10 installation is fine and loads correctly via system bios boot options.

---------------------

How can I fix this so that I can use the Clover boot loader to boot into Windows-10 ?

I am using legacy clover boot loader ( Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg )

I think the problem could be the Microsoft folder boot options in the clover EFI
Or maybe I just need to use a different version of clover boot loader ?

You can download my EFI folder from link as it was to big to upload.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wbjz25t0n9am5u/z800_EFI_001.zip?dl=0

Hello,
I have a legacy xeon build with a legacy bios.
I am running dual boot El Capitan and MS-Win-10
I am using legacy clover boot loader ( Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg ) from post tools package.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/el-capitan-post-install-tools.294/

I have followed tonymac guide for installation.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

I have everything working fine except for dual boot via clover boot loader.
My OS installations are fine and I can boot into them via the system bios boot options.

My problem is when I select to boot into the Window-10 disk via clover boot loader I receive this error message.

The file is there and I ran repair commands. However this did not fix the problem.
My windows-10 installation is fine and loads correctly via system bios boot options.

I can boot into OS-X just fine. It is when I select to boot into the Windows-10 disk that I receive this error message.
There is nothing wrong with my Windows-10 installation. It works just fine.
I think the problem lies with my Clover boot loader. Dual boot works fine in all my other builds.
However in those builds I am using the UEFI bios and UEFI Clover boot loader.

I followed these instructions on how to configure dual boot 

Fix Dual Booting
At this point, the machine will be booting only to Windows. Insert your El Capitan install USB drive and restart. Use F12 if needed to boot to the USB.
You should see a Clover menu. Select Boot Mac OS X from YourDriveName.
Once in OS X, mount your EFI partition with EFI Mounter v3
Go to the EFI partition
Go to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi
Copy EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi
Eject the El Capitan install USB drive
Reboot
You should get a Clover menu, with the usual settings to boot to OS X and also new Windows options. To start Windows, select Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI.
After future Windows updates, Windows may reset the EFI partition to boot only to Windows again. You'll need to repeat the steps in this section.
You should now be able to boot to both Windows and OS X!

I think the problem could be the Microsoft folder boot options in the clover EFI

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Quick inquiry guys.  Ive been toying with this idea and absorbing information here or there for awhile.   With the release of pascal drivers, its finally time.  I run a very convoluted system (sli/multimonitor/raid) but my question is simple.

Will it be possible to dual boot with windows (pre-existing) on my ssd raid 0 array and mac on its own seperate Hard disk?  I know if both were on the same disk (aka the raid array) it would/could be problematic but I want to make sure before I set plans in motion/get the ball rolling.

• 1 month later...

I'd like to take the plunge into dual booting. I have a custom built machine with an SSD on which I tried partially successfully to install MacOS Sierra. It functions, but I'm struggling to get the USB to work correctly. To have something I could work with more consistently for now, I had a friend help me install Ubuntu 16.04 on a separate SSD. I'd like to set it up as a dual boot system, so I can continue to try to get the MacOS working properly.

Most of the tutorials I've read deal with installing the boot manager while installing an OS. Will I be able to successfully install a boot manager with both OSes already installed on their own disks? On which disk would it be better to install the boot manager? Any suggestions?

• 5 months later...

Hello,

I have an HP z800 with Legacy bios only.  Two 120gb SSD's . One for OS-X El Capitan and the other for Windows-10

I have the operating systems installed and setup correctly on both SSD's and they work fine.

My problem is with the Clover boot loader. I am trying to use the clover boot loader to Dual boot however I get this error 

when trying to boot into Windows-10

---------------------

---------------------

How can I fix this so that I can use the Clover boot loader to boot into Windows-10 ?

I am using legacy clover boot loader ( Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg )

You can download my EFI folder from link as it was to big to upload.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7wbjz25t0n9am5u/z800_EFI_001.zip?dl=0

Hello,

I have a legacy xeon build with a legacy bios.

I am running dual boot El Capitan and MS-Win-10

I am using legacy clover boot loader ( Clover_v2.3k_r3320-Legacy.pkg ) from post tools package.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/el-capitan-post-install-tools.294/

I have followed tonymac guide for installation.

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...pitan-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.172672/

I have everything working fine except for dual boot via clover boot loader.

My OS installations are fine and I can boot into them via the system bios boot options.

My problem is when I select to boot into the Window-10 disk via clover boot loader I receive this error message.

I can boot into OS-X just fine. It is when I select to boot into the Windows-10 disk that I receive this error message.

There is nothing wrong with my Windows-10 installation. It works just fine.

I think the problem lies with my Clover boot loader. Dual boot works fine in all my other builds.

However in those builds I am using the UEFI bios and UEFI Clover boot loader.

I followed these instructions on how to configure dual boot 

Fix Dual Booting

At this point, the machine will be booting only to Windows. Insert your El Capitan install USB drive and restart. Use F12 if needed to boot to the USB.

You should see a Clover menu. Select Boot Mac OS X from YourDriveName.

Once in OS X, mount your EFI partition with EFI Mounter v3

Go to the EFI partition

Go to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/ and rename bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi

Copy EFI/CLOVER/CLOVERX64.efi to EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

Eject the El Capitan install USB drive

Reboot

You should get a Clover menu, with the usual settings to boot to OS X and also new Windows options. To start Windows, select Boot Microsoft EFI boot menu from EFI.

After future Windows updates, Windows may reset the EFI partition to boot only to Windows again. You'll need to repeat the steps in this section.

You should now be able to boot to both Windows and OS X!

Work like a charm. Thank so much!! Love u guy!! <3

• 7 months later...

Whats up guys,

New to the forum, i ran a quick search in here but couldn't find anything related and after googling the only guides where for installing macos first then windows. Right now i have a corsair MP500 240gb m.2 ssd with windows installed on it.

The motherboard is a Asus z370-i. It has two m.2 sockets. The other will be for a WD Blue 1TB SATA m.2 for storage. My aim is to have the 120gb for each OS on the MP500 and have a dual boot setup.

1) Is it too late to do so?

2) If so is it possible to; Create a Win10 disk image backup - wipe drive - partition it in half some how - install macos on one half - recover the Win10 disk image on the other?

or is there a more optimal way of doing this? I understand that the effective way of dual booting is to have each OS installed on dedicated drives but I don't really want to add another drive (keep everything in its current m.2 no wires form factor) unless its an absolute must ill look to change my current storage configuration.

Cheers, TIA