The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

I successfully dual boot my windows 7 and snow leopard. But there are some problem that i still dont know how to solve it. Currently i'm using empire EFI cd to boot the snow leopard. I tried to use chameleon boot loader but still having a problem with memory allocation error. But what i dont understand is empire EFI is based on chameleon R3, but when i install chameleon R3 on my boot, it still giving me error. i guess my plist is wrong somewhere.

For now i have to make do with the cd method. Its a small price to pay for the mac in my machine.

By the way, here is my spec:

Acer aspire 4740G

Intel Core i5 430M

Nvidia 310M (i have to modify the kext in order to make it run. For those who are having a problem, try to update your plist with the proper device id and etc)

Atheros wireless

Intel HD audio (still cant make it run, i'll update once i able to make it run)

For those who are still having a problem, keep on trying, maybe some solution is not applicable for you and you have to find another solution. I've been working on this for 2 weeks already and finally it paid off.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a snow leo (custom) and when I select a partition I made for OSX, erase the partition, and install to it.

Is there something special I have to do to the partition?

When it reboots, I get my windows bootloader, no darwin.

I went in with easybcd and added an entry for mac, but I throws me an error.

I have no idea what the problem is, but I have an unfortunate feeling that its something ridiculously simple.

anyone can teach me how to install mac OSX 10.5 into dv6-1220tx ?? dual boot wind and mac or triboot win,mac and linux.

intel P8700

ati 4650

current i'm using chamelean v1.1 for snow leopard 10.5

I really dnt hv idea how to install macOSX.

i try to install but end up with boot loader error.

boot0:

boot0:

boot1:error >.<

actually how to create hybrid MBR/GPT ?? no idea with it.

because win can not install in GPT format and need to create it own reserved partition.

HELP :unsure:

someone can help me ??

I'm installing Mac OSX 10.5.6

i used MBR method to create 4 partition, flag 1 for mac OSX, flag 4 for win7 x64

after i done those, i fail to access into mac OSX desktop. it appear a screen asking me to restart.

then i used fdisk to solve it, but still fail for me.

I used easy BCD tool to make mac osx Start up, but it still fail to access into mac OSX dekstop. (appear a grey wallpaper with restart note)

Alright, so here's my problem.

I initially had a wonderful boot setup with Chameleon Bootloader with a Snow Leopard + Windows 7 + Fedora setup.

Recently, I changed Fedora to Gentoo, but during that process, something went terribly wrong.

Now, whenever I set the Chameleon bootloader to the MBR and set the Snow Leopard partition as active, the Windows 7 partition breaks. When I run the Windows 7 Repair disk, use diskpart to set it to active, then fix it, it suddenly works again, but it will only boot into the Windows 7 bootloader (and thus only to Windows 7). Unfortunately, when I switch back to the Snow Leopard partition to active (or even just rewrite the MBR with boot0), Windows 7 no longer works.

So here's my question.

How the heck did I originally have all three systems working?

Is there any way around this?

Thanks in advance.

Any help again.

hi !

I just did an installation from MBP4,1 OEM disk on a mbr disk.(logical 3)

IDE MBR HDD:

Primary 1 - windows xp x86

primary 2 - windows 7 x64

primary 3 - leopard 10.5.6 retail

extened------

logical 1 - fedora 9 x86

logical 2 - blank/ntfs

logical 3 - LEOPARD 10.5.2 OEM

logical 4 - blank/ntfs

It works fine!

I'll update 10.5.8 later, but.....

two important conclusions can drawn:

1.leopard runs just fine on mbr as on gpt !

2.oem leo of mbp17(4,1) can also be used!

so, why go through gptsync of "EFI-GPT hdd" fuss ?

peace out !

Recently, I changed Fedora to Gentoo, but during that process, something went terribly wrong.

what went wrong ? you couldn't complete the installation or what ?

does chainloading work ?

i got the darwin bootloader working but when i select windows (foreign os) i get a screen saying windows failed to start because a required device is inaccessible. it wants me to then repair but i fear it will erase 10.4.8

how do i make it accesssible, thus solving my problem?

For me, some how i cant seems to install the bootloader to the hard disk. the workaround that i have is by using empire efi disk image, and load it using easy bcd. luckily the new version have load disk image from hdd option, last time i'm using cd everytime i want to boot into my hackintosh. For those who are having issue on bootloader, give it a try, there always another way to boot your osx.

Hi,

I have tried countless DVD's on my Quad-core intel

my problem is that it installs fine (occasionally need cpus=1 -v for some dvd installers) and dual boots using EasyBCD, what I need to know is why it throws a kernel panic every time I go to boot the installed system if the installer works fine.

can someone please help me to understand how the installer works because running on the logic that the installer runs a osx kernel that works and my installed system obviously does not (so my bad) I'd like to manually edit / hack whatever files from my ubuntu install rather than waste any more days, also I'm guessing a benefit of this would be a truely live system because drivers etc could be loaded like the live but from a usb hd, thanx in advance

clarification btw use ubuntu to edit the files not run mac apps, im not stupid

* just installed MacDrive8, registered it and changed the kernel to one from an earlier dvd, it looks promising as I'm not getting a divide by zero error on load. God cpus=1 is slow though on my Quad core ;), if it boots I'll post again

• 2 weeks later...

which kext did you modify to get your 310m to work?

the NVDANV5x?

or NVDARESMAN?

or the enabler?

which kext did you modify to get your 310m to work?

the NVDANV5x?

or NVDARESMAN?

or the enabler?

I bought a new Sony Vaio today when I thought my Macbook bit the dust (I've got it working again since, but am still wanting to hackintosh my new powerhouse). Specs are:

Intel i7 Q 740, 6GB RAM, GeForce 330m w/ 1GB dedicated video.

It came with Windows 7 preinstalled and I don't want to mess that up. There's also a recovery partition since they didn't give me any disks I'd like to retain.

I downloaded and burned Empire EFI 1.085 (the legacy one was the one that booted for me) and I can get into the setup, and I'm certain I set up the partition right (used diskmgmt.msc, shrunk my NTFS partition, used diskpart to make a new primary partition & set it to active) and no matter what I do it doesn't recognize it in the OS X 10.6 installer (using retail disk). It tells me I need to repartition using "GUID Partition Table".

I've been trying all day to do this, I'm pretty new to this although I've read about it since it was possible, is there anything I can do to keep my Windows install intact and get the Snow Leopard install working? I've read through countless guides and looked around on YouTube but I'm hitting a wall it seems.

• 1 month later...
I downloaded and burned Empire EFI 1.085 (the legacy one was the one that booted for me) and I can get into the setup, and I'm certain I set up the partition right (used diskmgmt.msc, shrunk my NTFS partition, used diskpart to make a new primary partition & set it to active) and no matter what I do it doesn't recognize it in the OS X 10.6 installer (using retail disk). It tells me I need to repartition using "GUID Partition Table".

I had the same problem because my laptop also came with Win7 installed. Go to the kexts website (www.kexts.com) and do a search for Boot MBR (or something like that) and follow the instructions given. I did and it works flawlessly. I now have dual boot win7 and SL vanilla on my HP G70 laptop.

[EDIT] Oh, I installed from 10.6.0 media and have just updated all available software updates without issue so I am now running 10.6.4. Sweeet!

[EDIT 2] I forgot to mention, the only problem I am having is that I do not know how to install Chameleon to the disk so it becomes the active bootloader. So at the moment I am still booting from the Empire EFI CD. If anyone has a solution please let me know. Thanks.

Hey everyone,

I'm in a bit of a special situation and don't know exactly where to start experimenting.

The situation is the following: I bought a new hard drive and mirrored my OS X partition from my old hard disk to (with another windows partition on it) I'm keeping both hard drives for now and want to try to update one OS X partition (10.5.4. to 10.5.8., maybe snow leopard). So, now, I've got two identical partitions, but I can only boot into one.

I have my boot.ini set up, so that I can choose between Win and Mac.

[boot loader]
timeout=15
default=C:\chain0
[operating systems]
C:\chain0="Mac OS X86"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Additionally I have the Windows partition made primary (so it loops between chain0 and boot prompt until I select).

How can I make chain0 see the new partition? I assume, I have to manipulate the master/slave setting? Or is it the com.apple.Boot.plist ? Hard for me to say.

I would appreciate any pointers,

many thanks ahead,

scornflakes

• 3 weeks later...

Dell XPS M1530

I'm dual booting Mac OSX 10.6.3 Snow Leopard and Windows 7 Home Edition.

1 have one HD partitionned as follow (GUID => Hybrid MBR)

BOOT : 1Gb (create than delete partition to have free unused space)

MacOSX : 30Gb (HFS+)

Win7 : 285Gb (FAT)

DellMedia : 4Gb (FAT)

Very fast tutorial :

- Ghost your Windows 7 and other partitions (using Macrium Reflect Free Edition)

- Boot MacOSX (EFI boot CD + OSX retail install CD) and partition disk with a GUID partition

- Install MacOSX (with myHackInstaller)

- Tranform the GUID to Hybrid MBR using "gptsync" utility

- Install new Windows 7 / Restore Windows 7 from Macrium

- Fix MBR with Macrium Windows PE Live CD ($30) or another similar tool

- Boot Windows and install EasyBCD

- Add the MacOSX partition in EasyBCD ("BOOT" disk, MBR)

- done !

Note: il will provide a tuto link later.

This is in response to luguduwebs technique, above:

It worked!! Thanks!! After some putzing about, I got Win 7 and 10.6.4 both goin. Installed SL using myHack (nawcoms 1.1.4 modified version) and fixed the MBR not with Macrium (30 bucks, yea right) but with a simple Win7 repair CD (the one from MS themselves.) Its not perfect yet, but that has more to do with absence of dsdt and stuff like that. Dual boot ahoy!

this is on an ASUS N61Vn for what its worth. 500 GB HD, 350 GB OSX partition 150 GB for Win

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I havent gone thru all 26 pages of this thread.

I am going to go straight to posting my question.

Dual booting Linux (OpenSuSE 11.3) and Snow Leopard.

What has worked for others? I have a functioning OSX install, but I am using the full hard drive.

Should I install Linux First or OSX first? Does anyone know weather Linux can resize a Mac partition? I normally use GRUB for my boot loader, should I plan on using that first or boot grub from Mac boot loader?

There should be a sticky HowTo on this topic.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I am just having a blast running my convertible tablet pc on a mac. My system is an Asus R1-E Tablet PC and 90% of major functions are working, including inking, and pen input except wireless of course (ordering USB wifi to replace Intel 4965AGN). Anyway, this thread is all about multibooting so I'll get to it.

Currently, I'm running Win7 and Mac OSX 10.6.5. Here are the steps I did:

Requirements:

• Windows (Whatever) CD/DVD (Preferably win7)
  • Mac OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD (of course)
  • Compatible Mac OSX bootloader CD & ISO versions ([url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and nawcom are few examples)
  • Grub4Dos (http://www.themudcrab.com/downloads/grub4dos-0.4.4-2009-03-31_(official_release).zip)
  • Grubinst gui (http://download.gna.org/grubutil/grubinst-1.1-bin-w32-2008-01-01.zip)
  • CD/DVD Burner
  • Blank/Reformatted Hard Drive
  • Mac OSX 10.6.5 update (optional-if you want to upgrade)
  • [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] CD with [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] (optional-only for upgrading to 10.6.5)

Before starting:

1. Find and burn a bootloader that FULLY boots to the Mac OSX Snow Leopard DVD. You will use this CD to boot into mac AND windows because the preinstalled bootloader may be older than the CD and may not boot successfully into Mac. (For my system, I used the nawCom bootloader available here: http://blog.nawcom.com/?p=446) If you can't find a compatible bootloader, try to "fix it up" using other advanced guides or wait for an update.

2. BACKUP ANY DATA YOU WANT TO KEEP on an external, then disconnect it.

Partitioning (assuming basic knowledge of Disk Utility):

1. After successfully booting to the Mac DVD, run disk utility

2. Select the hard-disk you want to dual boot. Erase the entire disk (don't do secure erase)

3. Split the disk to 2 or more partitions using the MBR PARTITION SCHEME (NOT GUID)

NOTES ON THIS STEP:

-Designate the
FIRST
partition to be the
windows
-based system (it will be the boot volume), so format the first partition as NTFS

-Format the succeeding partitions according to your desired OSes. In this case, Partition 2 (Mac OSX) will be formatted as Mac OSX (Journaled)

Install the systems:

1. After partitioning, install Mac OSX (de-select the additional fonts, printers, and other unnecessary stuff except the custom ones to quicken install)

NOTE: If the restart fails (hangs) AFTER successfully installing Mac OSX, you may need to force it to shutdown (hold power button)--just this one time

2. Using your working boot cd, attempt to boot to OSX. If you fail, try other bootloaders or options.

3. Install other systems accordingly (Each system should have its own partition)

4. As we all know, windows will ignore any other OS in its bootloader, so install that LAST. (If you don't, you'll have to repair the BCD store later)

Upgrading to 10.6.5 (Optional)

1. Insert the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd while in Mac OSX. Then just open [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and leave it open. (Reopen it if it closes any time)

2. If you want to update to 10.6.5, install the update package as usual but DON'T REBOOT.

3. After update is complete, don't close installer. Switch to [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] and use the Easy-beast method and let it do its magic :).

4. Remove the [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] cd and restart.

5. If all goes well, you should be able to boot into mac sucessfully, If not, the update is not compatible with your system yet (Or the bootloader isn't compatible with the update).

NOTE: Quirky stuff may happen after updating. In my case, the microphone seems to be connected to line-output producing audible feedback--easily corrected by muting the mic (however, upon every reboot).

Installing the bootloader to harddrive (assuming knowledge of grub):

1. Once you're in windows, use grubinst gui to install Grub to the WHOLE DISK (You will get an error if you chose GUID as your partition scheme during partitioning)

2. Copy grldr (from grub4dos) to the ROOT of your WINDOWS system

3. Copy the compatible mac bootloader's ISO to the same location as above

4. Configure your menu.lst to boot to that ISO using the --mem option (See below for my menu example)

NOTE: You can install the Grub bootloader any way you like. I just use the gui cause it's easier.

If all goes well, every time you reboot, Grub will redirect you to the custom bootloader which will allow you to boot to mac, windows, or any partition/system. Enjoy your Hackintosh!

Summary:

1. Erase and partition disk using MBR partition scheme from mac dvd

2. Install OSX on second partition (update is optional)

3. Install other systems on other partitions except the first (optional)

4. Install Windows on first partition

5. Install and configure grub to boot to the working ISO bootloader for Mac

Just to let you know, I'm not an advanced user. I just improvise or find whatever works and stick with it or improve it. No one method works for anyone. So, if you fail like I did initially, try again! Experiment! Google is your friend :)

My menu.lst (SAMPLE)

default 1
timeout 2

title Boot from Hard Drive - Windows Vista / 7 (BOOTMGR)\ncontinue booting to windows vista or 7
fallback 2
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /bootmgr
map () (hd0)
map (hd0) ()
map --rehook

title NawCom bootloader
map --mem (hd0,0)/NawCom031.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
boot

hello !!

I have an Asus Pro52Lseries with Intel CPU T1500 @ 1.86 Ghz, 2 Gb Ram, Intel GMA X3100 Gfx video, win7 and iAtkos s3 v2 Snow Leopard. I have 2 problem with chameleon and wireless ..

1. I have 4 partition... 1st win7 and 2nd Mac os x. Chameleon not working ... I attached 2 pics

2. My wifi card is Atheros AR5007EG.. I've tried with kismac, but nothin and airport is stopped it can not start.

Thank you.

post-703211-1292858867_thumb.jpg

post-703211-1292858889_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi. I´m new to dual Boot.

I have tried EasyBCD to boot into both Windows7 and Mac OS X, but i can only successfully boot Win7, i get KP on Mac OS X.

If i F8 boot from the Mac drive with Chameleon v2 RC4 i can load OS X SL 10.6.6 perfect but Windows 7 with random BSOD and no Sleep/insomnia issue.

The Mac OS X is retail installed on a separate disk with GUID table.

Can i use EasyBCD or is there another way to have dualboot?

• 2 months later...
I can't find too many topics on people using two separate hard drives to run OS X......

Okay, my Hackintosh is up and running. Now, I want to plug back in my other hard drive that has my Win7 installation so I can play games and stuff. However, I am having some trouble doing that....

So, I plug in my hard drive, and turn my computer and look at that, Chamelon recognizes my other OS great!

However, I see two Windows options: Windows NTFS, and System Reserved. So, I'll choose Windows NTFS just to see what happens, and well I get a black screen saying "bootmgr not found, press ctrl alt del to restart"

That doesn't look to good, okay, I'll try the other one. So when I click the System Reserved option, it actually looks like Windows 7 is booting up, however, that is quickly broken by a quick BSoD and then my system restarting.

So then, how would I go about fixing this? I know my installation isn't broken because, if I change my BIOS settings back to their defaults, I can boot into Windows (but obviously not OS X), and I don't want to risk tweaking my BIOS settings now because it might break my current stable Hackintosh....

Anyone have any ideas on how to get the dual booting working? I have OS X on one 1TB hard drive and Windows 7 on another 1TB hard drive.

Thanks!

I have osx and win 7 on seperate drives. I did some searching myself, and my solution was as simple as, select the "system reserve" partition instead of the one which actually is my main partition for the win7 os. Then a few cosmetic changes to /extra/com.apple.boot.plist to hide the main win7 partition, and rename the system reserved to windows. Reason it says bootmgr not found, is that main windows partition doesn't contain the boot files, it only contains the kernel/hal. The efi partition windows creates during the install is where it installs the boot file that tells the bootloader where to find the kernel.