The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

okay, im so darn confussed.

i have a 120gb hard drive. as of right now i have windows xp pro installed on one 55gb ntfs partition.

i have the rest of the hard drive just as unallocated space as of now.

i have jas 10.4.8 amd / intel sse sse2 sse3 iso.

i want to install mac os x on a small partition ( probably 10-15gb ).

then the rest of the space im gonna install vista on.

i have a gateway mt3418 laptop, with a nvidia go geforce 6100 gpu and a amd turion 64 mobile processor.

how would i go about installing mac after xp, but before vista ?

i have norton partition magic, but theres no option to pre-format the space as hfs. ( what is af by the way? )

can you guys give me some advice as to how to do this with simple instructions ? :hysterical:

But the guides have been written by those people who had success, especially to help newcomers. If there are so many guides, it's because there are so many different configurations/hardware/etc with their own problematics. But the basics are the same:

1. create a primary partition for osx (before any extended partition if any);
  2. boot on osx install dvd, and install on that new primary partition;
  3. edit the com.apple.boot.plist to see osx's bootloader's menu, if need be.

Apart from these basic steps, there are details to fill in, especially to install Vista.

Check dilnalomo's guide, or devilhood's in the GeniusBar, or other's.

Hay izlude

I get to this part in your guide

type: bcdedit /copy {current} /d "Mac OS X"

without the type:

and Vista comes back with

a discription for the new entry must be specified

run bcdedit /? for command line assicetance

Do I have to have the Vista drive in when I install osx

cause I pulled the vista drive when I installed OSX (didn't want to screw it up) been playin with it for about three days now upgraded it from 10.4.8 to 10.4.9 install a to bunch of software and got it just the way I want it, don't really want to reinstall it, but getting tired of switching the cables around fo what os I want.

If I can get dual booting, the onboard via vt6103 lan and a gforce4 mx440 w 128mg of memoy to work I'd be set

Thanks

Got it! :thumbsdown_anim: used a prg called easybcd from

http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1

worked great

Noe if I can get my other 2 problems work out

Thanks

Hello Dewman. I just logged in right now and saw your post. I was about to reply it too :) Until I saw you got easybcd. I would have replied this:

I unplugged my Vista drive just like you did. I always get that uneasy feeling that I'm going to format my drive by accident :rolleyes: But did you type the other bcdedit lines? I'd assume so, but maybe it was a typeo somewhere, possibly the long identifier string. It drove me nuts because I thought I was doing it right, but turns out I was typing in a few wrong numbers/letters. Dunno how that happened. :whistle:

Today I tried it again on my other system to make sure the guide was proper. It worked :)

As for the LAN and VGA, is it a driver problem? If so... in my guide it says do not select drivers. If in fact you feel you DO need to install those drivers, try to re-insert the OS X disk and do a touchup install of those left out drivers...

I must warn you that when it is complete, your screen may end up flashing and that will leave you having to reinstall OS X completely. I don't know why it does that, it happened for both my systems. Might be different for everyone, but the more ya know the better for us :dev:

Good luck!

I'm using the the S3 ProSavage on board video right now and the lan I put a realtek 8139 in for it but vista has a problem with the drivers so now when I boot vista I have to move the network cable.

Its a real pain in the butt.

Thanks

I have 2 IDE drives on my primary, 2 optical on my secondary and a SATA drive on that channel. Vista is on SATA , OS X is on IDE 1 and Dreamlinux is on IDE 2. My DFI Infinity MB has a boot device menu at start up, so all i have to do is push ESC to enter the menu, choose the drive to boot from and I am all set.Each OS runs as a native OS on it's own hard drive, 250GB SATA, 2ea 160GB IDE, each drive is partioned into 2 parts, one for OS and one for data i don't want to lose if I have to reinstall any of my OS. No VMware or any other loaders needed.

• 4 weeks later...

I do it just like enoree.

The "easy way":

1 Partition drives for data and OS

2 Install OS 1 on drive 1

3 Install OS 2 on drive 2

4 repeat as necessary

Use F8 ir esc in the BIOS to boot from whichever drive you like. Works like a charm & keeps each installation clean if something should go wrong with any of them. :)

i have one question ...

i install Acronis boot loader2 days ago..

and when a choose osx from menu, it load Darwin bootloader,where i can choose again between xp & x....it {censored} me off

is there any way skip darwin ?

edit: never mind,i removed acronis boot loader

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting. I think I might take the plunge, but I'd like any advice first. I have an interesting setup that I'd rather not mess around with too much, and I've been doing some searching, but I'm not sure I'm finding anything I can use yet. I'll do some more though.

It's a dell laptop, so it has that small 50mb parttition, then a 51gb partition for XP MCE, a 2gb partition I use for the page file, and a 10 gb partition I use for some data.

After that, are my Kubuntu partitions; Root, swap, usr and home.

I'm wondering if it might be entirely unrealisitic to add a partition (either between the two OS's, or after Kubuntu) and load OSX on it. It seems like getting the boot loader to work might be the difficult part. It's grub right now.

It is strongly suggested you install osx in a primary partition before the extended partition; create a fat32 (or of type 0xaf) partition with appropriate size.

(make sure that this primary partition is well ordered in the partition table, ie that not only it is physically before the extended, but also that it is so in the partition table; i think gparted can show you that)

grub can handle osx. check the wiki for examples of the menu.lst. The makeactive line is important.

===========

Note: for those who had same problem as Rzk with acronis os selector (aoss), make sure the osx choice in aoss makes osx active when booted. Right-click icon and go in the properties. Read manual if needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.

I have been trying to figure out, without success, how to install OS x on a computer that is running XP and Ubuntu with GRUB, as a boot loader, without loosing the control over GRUB so I can boot Linux, after installing OS x, and add the entry for OS X and obtain a triple-boot.

Any idea?.

Thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Step-By-Step Guide To Dual Booting Vista & Mac OS X On A Single Hard Drive

*There is an attachment at the bottom of the page of this guide as a Word Document.

Install Vista

1. Boot to your Windows Vista DVD.
  2. Select your Preferred Language, Time/Currency Format, & Keyboard Layout; then click "Next".
  3. Click "Install Now".
  4. Enter Your Product Key & Click "Next".
  5. Choose The Version of Vista You Want To Install if It does Not Choose it Automatically For You & Click "Next"
  6. Click the "I Accept The License Terms" check box & Click "Next".
  7. Click "Custom"
  8. Now you're at the Drive Partitioning Page. You are going to want to remove all partitions, so that all that remains is free space. Then click "New" and choose the size of the partition you want to create (For Vista I would recommend a MINIMUM of 10240 MB). Also make sure to leave adequate free space for your Mac OS X install.
  9. Now select the newly created Partition and click "Next".
  10. You will now get the Installing Windows screen where it shows the copying of files, extracting, installing, & completing setup. Your computer will probably restart a couple times during this process (this is normal).
  11. Once the Install is complete you will arrive at a screen asking you to choose your username and password, along with a photo to identify your account. Once you have chosen that information click "Next".
  12. The Select your computer name & background. Then click "Next"
  13. Choose the setting you prefer for automatic updates.
  14. Setup your Time & Date and click "Next".
  15. If it asks, choose your computers network location.
  16. Then Click "Start".
  17. Vista is Now Installed, so go ahead and login.

Setup Partition for Mac OS X

1. While logged into Vista, hit the "Windows Key + R". A Run box should popup.
  2. Type in "DISKPART" & hit "Enter".
  3. Press Continue when you get the UAC Security Screen. DISKPART should now launch in a CMD interface.
  4. Now type "list disk".
  5. Then type "select disk 1"
  6. Then type "create partition primary id=af" (This will create a new primary partition of the remaining free space in a format Mac will be able to understand).
  7. Then type "list partition".
  8. Then type "select partition 2".
  9. Then type "active".
  10. Then type "exit".
  11. Now you can insert your Mac OS X disk and restart your computer.

Install Mac OS X

1. After you reboot, Darwin (the Mac OS X boot loader) should start right up and take you right to the Mac OS X install Screen.
  2. Now you can select your preferred language and click the arrow at the bottom of the window.
  3. Now at the top of the screen you should see a white bar with menus (if you don't, just give it a min, can take a min to load), click the "Utilities" menu and the select "Disk Utility".
  4. A new window should popup and on the left hand side you should see your hard drive with two grayed out partitions. Click on the 2nd one down (the Mac OS X partition), then right click and choose "erase".
  5. A new window will popup now. Choose Mac OS X (Journaled), then click "Erase". This will create the Mac OS X partition we will be using.
  6. You can now exit Disk Utility and click the right arrow to go the next step of the installation.
  7. Now select the Mac OS X partition we created & click the right arrow.
  8. Now you will need to select the packages you need to install for your system and any additional features you would like (these will very from system to system).
  9. Now the Mac OS X installer should scan your installation DVD (which can be skipped, by clicking skip) and then will begin installing.
  10. Once done installing your system will restart and will either boot into Mac OS X or you will get a HFS+ Partition Error (if you get this error skip down to the HFS+ Partition Error section). If it boots right into Mac OS X, you're all set! If you want to load into Vista, just hit F8 on boot up before the grey apple screen shows up and select "Windows, NTFS" (If get an error saying that "\Windows\System32\winload" is corrupt skip down to step 16 in the HFS+ Partition Error Section).

HFS+ Partition Error

1. Insert your Mac OS X Installation Disc and reboot.
  2. When you get to the screen asking to hit "any key" or "F8", hit "F8" and type "-s" and hit enter.
  3. When you get to the prompt, type "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" and hit enter.
  4. Then type "flag 2" and hit enter.
  5. Then type "update" and hit enter.
  6. Then type "write" and hit enter.
  7. Then type "quit" and hit enter.
  8. Then type "reboot" and hit enter. Your computer should not reboot right into Mac OS X.
  9. Now go ahead and Insert your Mac OS X Installation Disc in and reboot to the disc and as before you are going to want to hit "F8" and type "-s" and hit enter.
  10. Then type "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" and hit enter.
  11. Then type "flag 1" and hit enter.
  12. Then type "update" and hit enter.
  13. Then type "write" and hit enter.
  14. Then type "quit" and hit enter.
  15. Then type "reboot" and hit enter. This will now tell your computer to boot to Vista.
  16. Here you will probably get an error saying "\Windows\System32\winload" is corrupt. You are going to want to insert your Windows Vista Installation DVD and reboot to the DVD.
  17. Your going to want to click "Next" and then choose "Repair Computer/System"
  18. Vista should automatically locate your C:\ Install and tell you it needs to be repaired. Click the "Repair & Reboot" button. Now your system should boot right into Vista with no problem.
  19. Insert your Mac OS X Installation Disc and reboot.
  20. When you get to the screen asking to hit "any key" or "F8", hit "F8" and type "-s" and hit enter.
  21. When you get to the prompt, type "fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0" and hit enter.
  22. Then type "flag 2" and hit enter.
  23. Then type "update" and hit enter.
  24. Then type "write" and hit enter.
  25. Then type "quit" and hit enter.
  26. Then type "reboot" and hit enter. Your computer should not reboot right into Mac OS X and everything should be working, now all you have to do is if you want to boot into Vista hit "F8" at your computers boot up at the Darwin loading screen and before it reaches the grey Apple screen and you will be able to select between:

• Windows, NTFS
  • Mac OS X

Congratulations, Your Dual Boot Installation of Vista and Mac OS X is now complete...Enjoy!

Here is a copy of this guide as a word document:

Step_By_Step_Guide_To_Dual_Booting_Vista___Mac_OS_X_On_A_Single_Hard_Drive.doc

This guide was made after my recent venture into creating a Dual boot system on my laptop with Vista Home Premium and Mac OS X. This guide was created with help from a post by DevilWood, I just wanted to create a more step-by-step guide for people just looking to fool around, but don't know a lot of how stuff works.

Thanks Again Everyone!

easybcd v1.6 worked for me no problem and it's freeeasybcd 1.6 worked for me using Vista after both wre installed. i have 2 drives sata with 3 partions (mac) and IDE 2 partions(Vista) I labeled all my partions which I made at install with MAC.

Hi all,

I am quite a newbe but I have dual booted win XP & OSX twice on my intel 3.0ghz, 915gav mobo on sata 80gb hdd, I used two acronis softs, Acronis disk director suite{DD suite} 10 & OS selecter 8

This SHOULD WORK FOR ALL !!

1. first have a working XP on any one partition say C

2. Install Acronis DD suite & not OS selector create a bootable media builder with DD suite

3.create a partition in Acronis DD suite for Mac OSX(that is create UNFORMATTED partition say 10GB for osx & create another unused partition of 5 GB for exchanging the data between osx & xp )

4.Convert the UNFORMATTED 10gb partition with ACRONIS DD suite to ''SHAG OS AF format'' make this a PRIMARY partition & set it active

5. format the 5gb partition with fat 32 format

6. now make bios to boot with MAC OSX install dvd any will do(I used JaS 10.4.7)

7. Mac will recognize that ShagOS formatted disk for installing

8. Install OSX on to that drive & boot to mac os

9.Now u wont be able to boot to XP

10. There are many ways to boot to XP

1. use ACronis bootable media created before and boot to acronis dd suite. now set the XP partition as active--reboot-- you should be able to boot to xp

2. use win xp intall CD. boot with it and go to xp recovery console. login as admin & type command "fixboot" this shold let u boot to xp, if it doesn't work try "bootcfg /rebuild" it will show the windows partition. select it as first option by giving the c:\windows folder You should be able to boot to xp

3. or else if u are starting from scratch REINSTALL XP!!!

11. now boot to xp & install Acronis OS Selector

12.On rebooting OS Selector will recognise OSX partition as Unknown OS

13.go to OS selector options and rename it as MAC OSX

14. Set Win XP as DEFAULT OS !!

15. Select OSselector menu to appear only on pressing ''ESC" key

16. set win xp as default & boot..

17. On rebooting you will get 5 seconds where OS selector wil ask u to press ''esc'' key to go to menu, if not it will boot to default OS(ie win XP)

18 press ''esc'' key & go to OS selector menu & boot to OSX as required !!!

19. Use th 5GB FAT32 partition to transfer files between XP & OSX as bot of the OSes can read and write Fat 32 Partitions

20 the same will work for VISTAA!!!

enjoy , thanks for reading

• 1 month later...

CHECK FOR SSE2/SSE3 CPU

INSTALL WINDOWS XP

FIND UPHUCK 10.4.9 1.3 DVD

RENAME .CDR TO .ISO

BURN TO DVD+R/-R NOT RW

CREATE FAT32 PARTITION

SET IT TO PRIMARY + ACTIVE

BOOT FROM DVD IN DVD DRIVE

UTILITIES -> DISK UTILITIES

SELECT FAT32 PARTITION

CLICK ON "ERASE" TAB

MAC OS EXTENDED JOURNALED

MACINTOSH HD

ERASE

DISK UTILITY -> QUIT DISK UTILITY

SELECT CORRECT CPU PACKAGE

SELECT ONE MATCHING KERNEL

SELECT APPROPRIATE DRIVERS

INSTALL + SKIP DVD CHECK

REBOOT INTO NEW MACINTOSH HD

INPUT CORRECT INFORMATION

OPTION+Q TO SKIP REGISTRATION

CREATE ACCOUNT

REBOOT

PRESS ANY KEY IN DARWIN BOOTLOADER

SELECT WINDOWS HD

IF YOU CANNOT BOOT:

FIND + BOOT INTO GPARTED LIVE CD

SET ACTIVE FLAG ON WINDOWS HD

REBOOT & ATTEMPT WINDOWS XP BOOT

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have mac os x 10.4.8. i have problem in dual booting. I tried to use chain0 method. I copy chain0 to c and add the entry in the boot.ini file. and set xp partition active. When i select mac os from the boot menu it comes back to the boot menu.

I tried changint the case of chain0 file. adding the entry disk1s2. adding the delays. but no success. my os x partition is disk1s2

Can somebody help me?

• 1 month later...

Hello, I'm having some sort of an issue. I'm using uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3, and it works fine, it's installed on a second hard disk, while win vista is installed on the first hdd. On the first hdd I have two partitions, one with win vista, 85 gb, and another 210gb partition that is PRIMARY and NTFS. Both partitions are mounted by mac os, nicely. BUT since I moved the 210gb partition with Acronis Disk Director Suite, mac os now only mounts the 85 gb partition. What could be the problem ?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone can help me here. I have managed to dual boot Windows Vista and Uphuck 10.4.9 Mac OSX on a Dell Latitude D505.

The problem is when i select the Mac OS X from Vista's bootloader it stars Darwin and if i don't press F8 it goes back to Vista's boot loader. Is the a command in Mac OSX that i can change so that is will boot stright to HD(0,2) (Which is the Mac OSX partition) so it doesn't pick HD(0,1) (THE VISTA PARTITION).

In other words when i Select Mac OSX from VIsta's bootloader it automatically boots Darwin and then Loads up the Mac Partition which is hd(0,2) with having to press F8 and then select Mac OSX again

Thanks in advance.

Hy!

I am using Darwin boot loader to boot into multiple OSs'. That's the most simple solution I was able to find :D

I am running Mac OS 10.4.10 and Windows Xp on a hp Pavilion dv6000 (mac btw. works like a charm).

I used this thread to get things working: Link

The steps needed:

1. Make sure Mac OSs' partition is the booting one. You can set this either from linux using cfdisk or from windows using diskpart (Here is a ql site which gives basic instructions of how to use diskpart - it's pretty simple and straightforward).

2. Boot into Mac OS and edit com.apple.Boot.plist. Open up Terminal and do following:

sudo -s
		   <password>
		   vim /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

*Note: Instead of <password> type your own password ;)

**Note: If you are not familiar with vim use emacs or any other text editor you want

Once the file is open you will notice it is actually a XML file. Add this to the end of <dict> node:

<key>Timeout</key>
		   <string>8</string>

*Note: <string> node's value holds number of seconds Darwin bootloader should wait, you can change it to whatever value you want.

Save the file and you are done!

If you'd like to test it right away just reboot and smile ;)

Here's my configuration of dual-booting Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.4.8 (Jas) on two different hard-disks:

1. First HDD (PATA Maxtor 40 GB 7200RPM) is set as master on primary ide (the slave drive on the same ide cable is a dvd-rw), and holds these partitions:

- WinXP (primary partition, active, NTFS) - obviusly, this is where win xp is installed :blink:

- Work (primary partition, NTFS)

2. Second HDD (PATA Maxtor 40 GB 7200RPM) is master on secondary ide (a cd-rw as slave). Partitions:

- OSX (primary partition, active, HFS) - the osx installation partition

- Multimedia (primary partition, NTFS)

I'm using the chain0 method: the chain0 file copied to the root of C drive (where win xp is installed), and the boot.ini file edited as follows:

"[boot loader]

timeout=15

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

C:\CHAIN0="Mac OS X"

"

Everything is running smoothly and without any problems.