The Official Dual Booting Thread

Swad

549 posts in this topic

If you're dual booting or triple booting OS X with Windows and/or Linux, let us know in this thread how you did it! Once the Intel Macs come out, a lot of people will be wanting to know how to dual boot OS X. For more Dual Boot guides, check out our wiki.

Share your experience here.

• Like 1

If you're dual booting or triple booting OS X with Windows and/or Linux, let us know in this thread how you did it! Once the Intel Macs come out, a lot of people will be wanting to know how to dual boot OS X. For more Dual Boot guides, check out our wiki.

Here's how I made a tri-boot (I will add Free BSD 6 later, it's released now)

http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=3853

It's exactly the same like before (Linux, Unix & M$ as multiboot) now I just have to begin with OSX86, that's the only difference.

Here's a rough outline:

Dual-or Multi-booting divides neatly into 3 stages:

1) setting up the partitions.

2) installing the os(es).

3) setting up a bootloader.

(There is often a fourth stage, called fiddling, which comes at the end to get it all working right :))

1) To set up the partitions you need a partitioning tool. This might be diskpart on windows, fdisk on linux, partitonmagic, disk tools on osx86 or any number of similar tools.

For osx you need a hfs+ partition (type af) to install on.. minimum 6gb seems to be the rule of thumb

2) Installing the os'es goes as usual, sometimes windows or linux is already on the disk, which can make things easier.

3) For a bootloader you can use the windows bootloader by copying chain0 to c: & editing boot.ini, or you can use the darwin bootloader, pressing f8 at startup to chose os, you can use a linux (e.g. lilo or grub) bootloader & add your osx86 install to the config file, or finally, a 3rd party bootloader of your choice.

As you can see, the different permutations of partition setups, tools, os'es & bootloaders are numerous, but they all fall into the same structure; partition, install, boot.

Example 1:

a user has windows on a whole disk & wants to dual-boot osx86:

1) First, use partitionmagic to shrink the ntfs partition to leave at least 6gb free space. Then boot knoppix & use fdisk to create a new primary partition type af in the free space.

2) Run the osx86 install dvd, patched according to your system requirements, and install on the partition which should now be available to you.

3) On rebooting, if windows boots, simply copy chain0 to c: & edit boot.ini to give you the option of booting osx86. If osx86 boots, hit f8 to see that your windows install is available.

Example 2:

a user has linux on a whole disk & wants to dual-boot osx86:

1) First, use qtparted, gparted or similar to shrink your linux partition to create at least 6gb of free space, then create a new primary partition type af in the free space.

2) Same as above

3) Add your osx86 install to your bootloader.

Useful tools:

Boot cd/dvd for all your relevant os'es, also it may be useful to have a linux live cd &/or a rescue boot cd like hiren's or ultimate. Partitioning tools, and bootloaders, if you use something not included in the OS

Perhaps people could post which tools have worked for them in the different stages? or which to avoid? I'm sure some people have tips & techniques in general or for specific setup which might be useful?

(& as usual, I have probably posted something mistaken or inaccurate.)

I installed OS X on a separate hard drive. I used the bootloader built into Windows.

Copied the chain0 file from

/usr/standalone/i386/chain0

to

C:\chain0

Then added

C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

To my Windows bootloader. It works flawlessly. When I turn the computer on, I get a menu for

Windows

Mac OS X

I can choose either, and once I select and press enter, it automatically boots into the desired OS. No other settings required.

I installed OS X on a separate hard drive. I used the bootloader built into Windows.

Copied the chain0 file from

/usr/standalone/i386/chain0

to

C:\chain0

Then added

C:\chain0="Mac OS X"

To my Windows bootloader. It works flawlessly. When I turn the computer on, I get a menu for

Windows

Mac OS X

I can choose either, and once I select and press enter, it automatically boots into the desired OS. No other settings required.

That is awesome. I just don't understand how the chain0 links to the other drive. Was there anything else you had to do?

Which bootloader did you use, boot.ini?

I did it backwards. Partitioned my 160GB into 2 and installed OS X first then WinXP SP2. Does the instructions mentioned above work with my setup? Sorry for the newb question but it's my first time to extensively use Windows for so long.

For me adding chain0 doesn't work since 10.4.3 but if you install in this order when your PC starts showing the brand just press F8 several times (to be sure) and the OSX boot loader offers you the choice for the partition OS to load but ... warning ! : with the DVD install use the DiskUtility for fix the OSX partition to be the STARTUP DISK!!

That is awesome. I just don't understand how the chain0 links to the other drive. Was there anything else you had to do?

Which bootloader did you use, boot.ini?

I used the built-in Windows XP Bootloader (Control Panels -> System -> Startup [i think]) and just entered the above.

I had copied the chain0 file from my 10.4.1 install, and I've now upgraded my install to 10.4.3. But... I haven't tried recopying the chain0 file. Maybe it's broken now with 10.4.3, I don't know.

For me adding chain0 doesn't work since 10.4.3 but if you install in this order when your PC starts showing the brand just press F8 several times (to be sure) and the OSX boot loader offers you the choice for the partition OS to load but ... warning ! : with the DVD install use the DiskUtility for fix the OSX partition to b0e the STARTUP DISK!!

Thanks for the reply! I did as suggested (F8) and the screen presented me to boot from my Combo drive or my Hard Disk Drive. Sad to say my OS X install was placed in a partition within my Hard Disk Drive.

I shall endevour to try the Disk Utility or Start Up Disk app.

I'd stop using Windows if only OS X had better drivers for my audio & video.

Thanks for the reply! I did as suggested (F8) and the screen presented me to boot from my Combo drive or my Hard Disk Drive. Sad to say my OS X install was placed in a partition within my Hard Disk Drive.

I shall endevour to try the Disk Utility or Start Up Disk app.

I'd stop using Windows if only OS X had better drivers for my audio & video.

Switched Start Up Disk via DVD install and now the OS X's bootloader works.

Now to hunt for the torrent for a 10.4.3 installer.

I installed OS X first, using the disk utility to make one big free space partition and one OS X partition. Once installation was finished I installed XP, then I installed Fedora Core 4. I used grub during the Fedora Core installation to create the bootloader. OS X actually picks up the installation of XP and set XP as the default choice in its bootloader, something I need to fix. The only real issue I have is in Windows I didn't do the formatting correct (run the install, create the partiton, exit install, restart computer and start install again) so my default drive in Windows is E:.

Hi,

I have a patitioned disk, OS X and Win XP.

1st problem:

At the moment when booting I get OS X straightaway, and I can see my XP partition on the desktop. I've located my chain0 files but can add it to the XP partition as I have no write access, and when getting info all permission settings are not available.

So how to I copy the chain0 to my XP partition? Do I do it as root?

2nd Problem:

I dont get chance to press F8 at startup OS X jsut boots how can I make the F8 option appear?

Thanks

If you read the manual of mount_ntfs it says:

man mount_ntfs
CAVEATS
 This utility is primarily used for read access to an NTFS volume.  See
 the WRITING section for details about writing to an NTFS volume.
WRITING
 There is limited writing ability.  Limitations: file must be nonresident
 and must not contain any sparces (uninitialized areas); compressed files
 are also not supported.

I tried to mount in readwrite without success

i still have big trouble to dual boot them.

i had first winxp on C:. than, made a 10 gb primary partition id=if with diskpart in xp right behind the winxp partition. than, i installed osx86 8f1099 with the dvd + maxxuss dvd/iso patcher. after that, i am only able to boot to osx86. no chance to press f8 whatever while the booting progress.

can not use the oxx86 internal startup disk app, because afterwards, xp won't boot, neither osx86. so i have to reinstall osx86.

i tried to set the winxp partition to active and do fixmbr and fixboot on the winxp install cd. i got the error somehow like: "disk reading error, press ctrl+alt+del to reboot". the winxp cd autorepair doesn't funktion. same error. Reinstall only funktions, after i deleted the osx86 partition and the winxp partition and merged them.

someone can suggest something?

p.s. one harddisk

hmm, i finally got it.

used the boot cd generated by "Acronis Disk Director Suite"

my harddisk:

10gb xp partition

10gb osx86 (af) partition

1. i first had win xp installed

2. install osx86

3. i deleted the old xp installtion here

4. install xp

5. install Acronis Boot Manager or what it is called using the boot cd.

6. in the acronis boot manager menu, you can choose between xp or unkown os=osx86

the step 3 was the confusing one. i didn't actually now, what i have done between step 2 and step 4,

seems i had deleted the xp partition several times and recopied a acronis trueimage xp backup, which

doesn't boot correctly, just until blue login screen + win xp logo, then stucks.

Im having some troubles with my installation. Odd thing is I used to have a fully functional duel-boot before the patched DVD installer came out (using dd). I had updated Quicktime but that completely corrupted my old OS X install, so I decided to run the patched DVD installer and see what I can do. I successfully installed it by erasing the partition and installing over it. Bootup worked fine. But alas, once I removed the DVD from the drive and rebooted, I get the error "HFS+ Partition Failure".

Any idea as to what could have gone wrong? I cannot boot into XP at all, none of the boot loaders load, and the only way to get back into OSX is to insert the DVD again and let it run, which somehow allows the computer to boot into OSX.

I have a feeling the partition table is looking for the DVD when booting, and so if its not in there it fails... But regardless, I want to get back to my Windows XP side.. How can I do this? Any help would be appreciated. Im rather afraid of reinstalling OSX because I dont see how it would help if it didnt create the partition table correctly the first time.

Oh and putting in a Windows XP bootable disk allows me to boot to the disk, but it loads very very very very very slowly. It takes about 5-10 minutes to get to the first screen (after loading all the components) and all operations take forever. This made me worry that something is wrong with either my CD drive or my HDD.

What makes it worse is that I cannot even try working with Boot.ini in Windows because OSX cannot write to NTFS drives. My old bootloader info is still there, therefore chain0 is STILL there and should technically run...

Please help :angry:

it works for me, but i need to and press F8 immediately after selecting OSX86 in the OS list, and then choose the partition manually

The above is the only way I can boot OSX from my XP boot menu using chain0 in the boot.ini. I have both XP and OS X in my boot.ini. I can select OSX from the menu and *jump* on F8 and it will then give me the OSX boot loader and let me pick from my XP install and my OSX install.

If I select OSX from the XP boot menu and don't press F8, it just takes me back to the XP boot menu. Funny thing is, I didn't have to press F8 until today - I could just select OSX from the XP boot menu and it started OSX...

-kat

chain0 doesn't work for me.

I have three partitions. The first and last is formatted to ntfs and the middle is for OS X 10.4.3 8f1099 (maxxuss-patched).

1. OSX installed and run fine on disk0s2

2. I copied chain0 to C:\ and edited boot.ini as described earlier.

3. Next time I rebooted I see "MacOSx86" in XP boot menu. After selecting it screen clears nothing happen for about 2 seconds then XP boot menu returns. It means chain0 cannot recognize or find HFS+ partition. No error message but silently fail and return to XP boot.

I tried fixing it by doing Startup Disk stuff: same result.

chain0 doesn't work for me.

I have three partitions. The first and last is formatted to ntfs and the middle is for OS X 10.4.3 8f1099 (maxxuss-patched).

1. OSX installed and run fine on disk0s2

2. I copied chain0 to C:\ and edited boot.ini as described earlier.

3. Next time I rebooted I see "MacOSx86" in XP boot menu. After selecting it screen clears nothing happen for about 2 seconds then XP boot menu returns. It means chain0 cannot recognize or find HFS+ partition. No error message but silently fail and return to XP boot.

I tried fixing it by doing Startup Disk stuff: same result.

Did you read the post above yours ?

I'm also having trouble getting a 10.4.3 1099 dual boot system running. I did the following:

Partitioned a Windows NTFS volume, and a HFS+ (Type AF) volume. Then I ran the Mac OS X DVD Install, which after rebooting with the DVD In the drive booted up the hard-disk version of OSX fine. After the second reboot, nothing would load at all. So I reinstalled XP on its drive, which allowed the system to boot to XP. I then tried the chain0 trick, but that resulted in going back to the BOOT.INI bootup menu. I tried dd'ing the first 512 bytes of the OSX partition and running that from BOOT.INI - this resulted in the dreaded "HFS+ Partition Error" problem. Presently that partition is set to type AF, and the XP partition is bootable. They're both primary volumes.

Here's the fun thing - If I boot from the DVD, and make the installed OSX partition the Startup Disk, the partition boots fine, however then I can't boot to XP unless I fdisk the XP partition back to the bootable partition.

Any advice on where to go from here?

Thanks,

-Hippy