Confirmed: Apple 802.11n Enabler breaks Audio

ssimon

5 posts in this topic

Background: I'm using a ThinkPad T60 (2623-D8U) upgraded using Lenovo 802.11 a/b/g/n Atheros AR5008 card, running OSX 10.4.8 with Kernel 8.8.1 Card is recognized as an "Airport Extreme (0x168C, 0x33). Also using the modified AppleAzaliaAudio.kext to get 2 channel sound from the T60 ThinkPad. At this point 2 channel sound is fine.

Situation: After software upgrades to the new AR5008 card for full 802.11n I had no wireless whatsoever.

Fix #1: I 1st installed the Apple "AirPortExtremeUpdate2007002.dmg" update and after reboot 802.11n card was recognized as "Airport Extreme" and worked great connecting to 802.11g

Fix #2: In order to get the full potential of the card I then installed the $1.99 Apple "AirPort_Extreme_802.11n_Enabler.dmg" which simply adds a plug-in called "AirPortEnabler.kext" in the Plugins folder of the main "IO80211Family.kext"

PROBLEM: After reboot, 802.11n was working in "N" mode and the card showed up as 802.11 a/b/g/n in the networking utility, BUT my volume control and audio were GONE!!!

WORK: I have since restored my system multiple times and even tried to manually install the "plug-in" in case other changes were invisibly made by the official installer and same result: Placing the plugin inside "IO80211nFamily.kext" will break Audio!

HELP: Does anyone have a fix or idea on how to get audio back without breaking 802.11n?

Maybe a resource conflict between two drivers? Remember, just because support lies in the OS from when it was less proprietary (Apple labs, unlocked), they have no reason to keep that hardware supported, and don't care if it breaks compatibility.

I agree track, but there has to be a way to get them to coexist!

Or maybe there is a way to get audio to work on a ThinkPad T60/X60 using the AppleHDA kext instead of Azalia or something simmilar so there is no conflict...

Has anyone else used the 802.11n Enabler? Has anyone else experienced this?

• 6 months later...

audio broken,....

now you can spend the $2 for the enabler,

but still need macdotnub dist file

and the audio is toast, go figure,..

on an lenovo R60 with AD1981 HD audio

do want my audio back,... let me know,