ALPS Glidepad Driver (2 finger scroll etc...)

92 posts in this topic

Hey guys... alps trackpad will never work with two-finger scrolling...

this is mainly because hw doesn't seems to have multi-finger detection!

I hope the alps corp. will deny this fact by replying to my email...

Regards,

Domenico.

Hi,

this i kinda strange.

When i replace ApplePS2Trackpad.kext with your modified one, after reboot it sais as usual that it is not installed probertly.

(However) Prefs - Keyboard and Mouse. detects a Mouse and not at Trackpad. and actually the scrolling in right side of the trackpad works.

When i fix the permissions on ApplePS2Trackpad.kext, i get the "Trackpad" tap again in "Keyboard and Mouse", but the "2 finger scrolling" options is gone. so i cant enable it? :(

Anyone knows how to fix this?

• 3 weeks later...

i have a d600 as well... i tried installing using that package like it said... no go on that. now when i start it up i get an error saying the appleps2trackpad.kext is installed improperly can't be used... i tried to do what you said, with the repair permissions, and the delete extensions.mkext... then i tried using yours instead of mine... didn't do anything different... any ideas?

i forgot to make a backup of my original ps2 controller thing... is there any way to get one from the internet or something?

Trackpad now works for me. However vertical scrolling does not work. What I am noticing is that its trapping the vertical scroll when I try to use it (the mouse pointer does not move) but the windows doesn't scroll (testing using Safari). I know the driver is being used because I now get a Trackpad option in the Keyboard and Mouse preferences and also tapping now works too.

Just a quick update...

If I move the Scrolling Speed slider, it starts working. So the default values must be messed up. However even on the slowest scrolling speed its far too sensitive.

Some more findings.

If you sleep the system and wake it up, the settings are lost. Also reboot has issues remembering the settings too. Vertical scrolling is just plain weird. No other way to describe it, but its just not working well.

I've created a diff patch against ApplePSTrackpad-9 and have an automated process for applying this diff. I can do lot of source based tests very quickly now so if you need any assistance in fixing these problems I am happy to help. With a bit of tweaking I am sure you'll have all these issues fixed. Very much appreciate the work you put into this (after creating a concise diff file I had a good chance to look through the code and its more than just little tweaks).

The settings for tapping are lost after a reboot/hibernation. You have to set it back up every time and it is plain annoying.

The mouse sometimes disappears at a certain position, and then spawns from a different location.

Vertical scrolling 'works', but not in the way we would want it to. It scrolls way too fast even in the slowest settings, it doesn't scroll as soon as you try to scroll and so on.

Anybody found a fix for any of these? Maybe we need another, solid kext? *looks shamelessly at the developers around* :(

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry to report similar or worse results on my Inspiron 1525 (ALPS). You can play around with the options getting a semi-useful vertical scroll, but after hours of changing settings, my tapping fingers are worn out. Quite frankly, I'm happy with the tap-to-click function I had previously. Maybe smooth scrolling is better left to the real deal for now since there are so many touchpad models and configurations.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those who can't get the FFScroll Prefpane to load, try looking for the "com.apple.driver.ApplePS2Trackpad" plist under /Library/Preferences/. Then copy that file to ~/Library/Preferences (aka /Users/<your_username>/Library/Preferences/).

I got this from Ranova's thread here. Apparently, FFScroll won't load unless that plist file exists in both Library/Preferences directory on the root of the system and on the user's root.

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to come up with an easier way to open the FFScroll preference pane in Leopard...

1. Open Terminal

2. Type "FFScrollDaemon" without the quotes

There! You should be able to open FFScroll preference pane in Leopard without any problems.

Gd Luck :(

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hi to all.

i tryed to install this package, it worked all well

i also don't know i to see if 2 finger scroll works since i never heard about....

vertical scroll i had already before with only deleting some lines in info.plist and without installing this package..

i'm happy to help others but i'm just a noob, need also help sometimes :-)

i have a sinaptics touchpad

• 1 month later...
vertical scroll i had already before with only deleting some lines in info.plist and without installing this package..

i'm happy to help others but i'm just a noob, need also help sometimes :-)

i have a sinaptics touchpad

I also have a Synaptics touchpad here. May I ask you how did you enable vertical scrolling? I just installed iDeneb 10.5.5 in my Acer Aspire 5610 and this is one of the few issues I have to fix.

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to get two-finger scrolling to work, so I'm starting to think that my trackpad isn't capable of multitouch of any sort. If I tap on two different areas of the trackpad at two different times, the cursor will pretty much just jump around. The same thing will pretty much happen when I try to scroll with 2 fingers.