Where do I buy the Mac OSX for intel?

22 posts in this topic

Ok so I decided that I need to get the Mac OS X (don't matter what version, as long as it's generic and runs on intel based macs)

Where do I buy it? I found the PPC version, but is it universal?

When does Leopard come out? Is it worth it?

PPC is PPC-only, Intel is Intel-only, Universal is self-explanatory. Leopard comes out within the year (next month or October, no one's sure), and with all the features (I just want Spaces), it's worth is relative to the "user".

As you have a MB, the real thing will work on your hardware. As for buying it, why not? I'd buy it if it worked natively on my hack, still far from the incredible pricing of Vista Ultimate (where Mac OS X is already "ultimate" from its first inception).

sorry bad wording. I found the PPC versions. I haven't found the universal ones. I need to buy it since I don't have a copy of Mac OSX. and My macbook only has (damn it I need to proofread) windows xp because i accidently wiped the hard drive, didn't read the warning and clicked ok.

I have disk utlity, enabling me to install xp, btw, you don't need boot camp to install xp if u have all the drivers. which i was lucky.

i don't have my mac os disks, i borrowed my friend's but they don't work, i'm assuming because the macbook id doesn't match the macbook restore dvd.

You should have got OS X with the disks that came with the macbook.

Exactly what I was thinking. Restore from the original disks that came with your MB and just wait for a stable release of Leopard. The leaked version of Leopard isn't that stable enough for regular users to do their everyday stuff anyway, you'll be spending more time troubleshooting than using your mac.

You should be able to just order them from apple's site: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebO...rnMore=MA453Z/A

You should call apple first (1-800-MY-APPLE) just to make sure that it will work on you macbook. At the very least they will tell you where you can get a legit copy. How many times does he have to say that he doesn't have the discs :D

ty!

i did look at the one on the Apple page, and I think the ones they are selling are the PPC based ones, G4, G5 and G3

I'll give them a call tomorrow though.

I heard you can trade your restore disks for a universal generic version for 20 bucks (The restore disks don't work on my macbook, they work with my friend's macbook, since it came with his macbook not mine)

ty!

i did look at the one on the Apple page, and I think the ones they are selling are the PPC based ones, G4, G5 and G3

I'll give them a call tomorrow though.

I heard you can trade your restore disks for a universal generic version for 20 bucks (The restore disks don't work on my macbook, they work with my friend's macbook, since it came with his macbook not mine)

Weird, macbook restore disks work on any macbook AFAIK.

no the restore disks are locked to their specific system. Apparently Apple has been doing this for a few years now.

I wish I knew how to recompile, I have plenty of OSX86 copies laying around at least 3 different versions. Pointless really since they don't run on my Macbook and my PC doesn't have SSE 2.

no the restore disks are locked to their specific system. Apparently Apple has been doing this for a few years now.

I wish I knew how to recompile, I have plenty of OSX86 copies laying around at least 3 different versions. Pointless really since they don't run on my Macbook and my PC doesn't have SSE 2.

I am in the same boat. i bought my macbook pro from ebay and now i tried to reinstall X with my friends restore disks and they dont work. He has a macbook and i have a macbook pro. Do yall have any other way of installing OS X besides buying the disk again or using restore disk?

Do you have one of the original MBPs? If so, I could send a copy of the discs on over. I have a first gen 15.4"

So I guess the restore disks are tied to their respectable Macs, making it impossible to install. Though, you maybe able to trade the Restore Disk for a Universal Generic version for 20 bucks... but I have no proof. If someone has or is willing to try this, let us know.

BTW, I ended up getting Mac OSX Mac Server 10.4.7

that worked... it was my friends... I mean my main use is Windows XP, but sometimes I want to watch movies on the 50inch plasma (can you truly blame me? I mean come on...) and the mini-dvi don't work in Windows. I gotta admit, that is one pointless thing on the Macbook, wish they came standard with VGA or something. And I was about to buy the mini-DVI to DVI... pointless, it's an older generation DVI, while the newer one has this minus thing between the for pins... the older one doesn't have the little bar. :-: except the dots are over the -... on the older ones the - don't exist. Newer graphic cards with DVI all have the - on it.

OSX restore discs will work for any computer of the same line (iMac, Powerbook, etc.) as long as the disc is newer than the computer. If the computer is newer, the disc will be rejected because the computer requires a minimum OS version number (10.4.1, or whatever)

I think the phrase is "Came off the back of a lorry" :wacko:

Even if it's not, it's still not always possible to prove it ownership.

Suggestions:

Install a hackintosh 10.4.8 DVD and then do a softwareupdate to 10.4.9

Since you own a real Mac, the Hackintosh will be updated to a real OS X and it should work perfectly.

Also try:

www.slackware.com

www.ubuntu.org

www.debian.org

www.openbsd.org

Anyone tried OpenSolaris on a Macbook? XD

hmmm well... i can't prove ownership, i bought it from a friend who got it from his bro... and yeah i don't really care where he got it from.

but i'm not in the position i don't tink to bring to the store...

anywho... the thing about restore disks is they do match up to their respectable macs. so it doesn't work on any mac but the mac it came with.

i looked it up, it's like the serial key for macs.

any who i'ma try to convince my friend who lent me his restore to trade in for a universal one... hopefully that might work cuz he can prove ownership.

the problem with hackintosh is the fact that it registers as Windows on the disk... but i did use disk utlity and varified a dvd from the green ppl... i haven't bothered to try yet... i have to go to my friends house and use his macbook since his has a dvd burner.. mine doesnt.

i'll tell u how that goes.

i will buy leopard when it comes out tho.