errors!

Guest Anonymous

9 posts in this topic

Guest Anonymous

after finishing with the mactel process and upon booting i got two errors in yellow:

"Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform"

&

"Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleI386PCI"

the first one i remedied by passing a boot parameter which is "platform=X86PC" and the first error was ok. for the second one are there any boot parameters to bypass Failed.......com....AppleI386PCI?

after that i get "still waiting for root device, i've also tried to specify "rd=disk0s1" which is supposedly gonna work but it didn't for me.

Test system: P4 2gh Northwood, Intel845chipset, GeForce 4MX, 512ram

My graphics card seems to work but i wouldn't really know for sure if i don't get to bypass the two errors above.

backing them up isn't anything complicated. In my case after installing Darwin and updating to Darwin 8.1 I simply created a new directory in /System/Library called Extensions backup using the mkdir command (ie mkdir Extensionsbackup). This directory really can be anywhere that you want. After creating the directory you simply copy over the contents of the existing extensions directory using the cp command (ie cp -RLv /System/Library/Extensions /System/Library/Extensionsbackup) At this point you can go ahead and extract the mactelbase archive over the driver (tar -xpvf mactelbase.tar -C /) Since the mactelbase writes over the contents of the Extensions folder that allows you to boot properly, you want to copy your "backup" back over the extensions folder (ie cp -RLv /System/Library/Extensionsbackup /System/Library) You should be good to reboot now.

In my case I have been copying over the contents of the whole /System directory in addition to /etc to other locations that aren't written over by the mactel archive in order to test different things out without reinstalling constantly. If for some reason you make a change that prevents the system from booting you can always boot to the original Darwin cd and type in "shell" when asked which drive you want to install to. Once at the prompt you can mount your hard drive (ie mount -t hfs /dev/disk0s1 /mnt) then modify the files that you messed up.

hope that helps