Has anybody tested SlingPlayer or LocationFree ?

frman

4 posts in this topic

Hi,

Since VLC seems to run, wouldn't it be fun to try to run SlingPlayer ?

This nice little App let's you watch all the tv channels and video sources connected to Your Slingbox.

That way, we would have a wireless tv tuner, tivo player, etc...

If anybody succeeds, please let me know since I haven't got my Apple TV yet.

Regards,

Elie

• 1 month later...

After hours of fidgeting with this, the answer is : SORT OF.

Slingplayer will load, but it freezes up when you try to connect to any slingboxes. In fact, the moment you open up the slingbox Directory, things don't show up right. If you try to connect to any slingboxes, it just freezes and you have to kill the ps through ssh.

HOWEVER, the reason I said sort of is that if you go into the slingbox directory, edit a slingbox, click on configuration, and click "Change audio/video setup, enter your admin password, the small "preview" box shows actual slingbox video feed (smoothly at that!) plus sound.

So it does work, if you want a crippled tiny view of your slingbox. Looking at the specs, you need at least 512mb ram so I am thinking that might be one of the reasons it works only partially. Perhaps the lack of SSE3 emulation is another reason.

I've looked everywhere for references to this but found nothing. No one has ran slingplayer on full osx installed on the ATV (currently moot because there is no sound for OSX on aTV yet).

If we can get slingplayer working on the ATV I'll be........in heaven!

Slingplayer runs on Appletv!

Here's what you gotta do:

Copy your slingplayer applicaton from your mac to your Appletv (Fugu it to /Applications or frontrow dir)

Copy all the default fonts on your mac from /system/library/fonts to the same directory on your appletv. I'm not sure which font is ESSENTIAL, but I know LucidaGrande is for sure essential)

--Second thought, put the fonts in your /Users/frontrow/library/fonts directory. More space there --

Terminate your finder (using ps ax | grep Finder) and (kill PID)

run slingplayer.app by entering open slingplayer.app

And viola! It works! I can actually connect to a sling and watch with full sound. I use VNC to control it, but i'm sure you can use the keyboard / mouse usb hack to control it as well.

The key to this hack is the FONTS. Apparently, without the right fonts the slingplayer.app would hang.

• 6 months later...

I still have not gotten mine to work :) I copied over fonts from my 10.4.9 system to both locations you specified. I open up SlingPlayer and enter my SlingBox ID and then when I click to watch or go any further I am greeted with the pinwheel of death. Then I have to kill the SlingPlayer process. Each time nothing is saved and I have to enter the SlingBox ID again. Any suggestions for me?

BTW I have tried with ATV 1.1 and 1.0 (with manual safe update to 1.1). I am using SlingPlayer version 1.0.4.209. I would have to think you are using an earlier version because this post is fairly old.