Photoshop CS3 performance (Osx86 VS XP)

kle500

17 posts in this topic

I believe there are many people along the forum, that are heavily into Photoshop.

So, i need your options on the following.

I am a graphics designer for many years, and i started using Photoshop on MAC.

I was using my G3 with Photoshop 5.5 and i also had a PC using the same version.

I always felt that the MAC was smoother than the PC on PS.

BUT,

the behavior of my Osx86 machine in Photoshop PS3, is not quite same as in XP on the same machine.

And what i mean:

If i grab a picture (small resolution or high doesn't matter) with the hand tool (after zooming a lot so i can move all the picture) and start to move it, slow or fast, i get some lag and jerky motion of the picture. Not much, but it's there.

On the other hand on XP on the same machine with the same specs, and with the same type of HDD, this effect doesn't exist.

On XP the panning of the pic using Hand tool, is smooth all across the screen (the picture remain as it is and moves without any tearing or anything else).

It's like you move a picture in front of your eyes, the picture moves naturally, that's how it supposed to be on Fast machines too.

I must say that i haven't seen a real G5 or MacPro to test this.

Also i upgrated to a 7600GS.

After further testing, it seems that this issue is Resolution dependent. So if i use 800X600 it works pretty good, but as soon as i climb up, things getting worst.

1024X768, 1280x1024, 1600x1200.

So it seems as Drivers are not work as they suppose to!

For anyone interested on this, i've made a Capture with my camera on both setups (XP & OSX) to see.

http://www.zshare.net/video/screen-capture-avi.html

Let me know what you think people!!!!

i must dissagree with you, i am running a hackintosh and i am more then pelased of how photoshop cs3 runs on it.

i had winxp, i was dissapointed of CS2, much slower.

Also if you looked at the launch of CS3 on adobe.com, you would saw that present Photoshop CS3 on a iMAC :withstupid:

i must dissagree with you, i am running a hackintosh and i am more then pelased of how photoshop cs3 runs on it.

i had winxp, i was dissapointed of CS2, much slower.

Also if you looked at the launch of CS3 on adobe.com, you would saw that present Photoshop CS3 on a iMAC :P

Either i have a problem with my setup, or .... i don't know what to say!

Did you downloaded my test capture?

Did you see any difference?

The capture is made on same machine, same specs, same resolution, same CS3, same type of Hard Drive.

Osx86 i am using 10.4.8 with semthex nd.21 kernel.

Can you tell us more for your setup?

Do you have graphics acceleration (QE/CI) working on your Hackintosh? If you don't, moving large bitmaps around on screen is bound to be slow.

I have a working 7600GS with QE/CI fully supported.

Same (little worst) was happening with the onboard GMA950.

It seems to me like a problem with the Driver (titan dual v0.2)!

It's like i am not getting the full preview (redraw) speed of my card.

Try this to improve performance, it helped here a bit...

To disable beamsync do: (in terminal)

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

To enable Quartz 2D Extreme do: (in terminal)

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled true

you have to reboot after this...

Then try again with photoshop :)

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled true

So i guess that you have the same issue as i do?

You feel that the performance is worst than on XP ?

Aren't the above mod's a little too much?

you have to reboot after this...

YES it did improved quite, but again not the same as XP, and now another question.....

Is it logical to make the Modification on a fast machine and with a good GPU card?

Is this mod also been applied to real macs too?

I am a little confused here!

This works on real macs too...

and no i dont have any problems running cs3 on my hack gf6800

i didnt test cs3 on XP btw...

On XP same excellent performance is with CS2 too!

Can you tell me your specs?

Is it possible that i see this difference cause of CRT monitor? Just a thought, as MAC work for quite some time now on LCD monitors.

If i plug my 2nd monitor on Osx86 i get worst results, but on PC with 2 monitors no problem.

Hey, I looked at your video and I will grant you are right what you see but to me, it is so small a worry that I really do not care at all. And it only matters on large files and resolutions, which I do work on as a photographer. And besides, who is going to edit on a moving image like that? One only scrolls to get to a spot to work on and it is really a small distraction. I mean, compare the perfomance of CS2 to CS3. I am more than pleased. I will so much settle with this ever so slight annoyance (if you did not mention it, I would not have noticed nor cared) than I would want to deal with the world of instability in Windows. I was only staying with WIndows because I nee4ded the speed I got from CS2. WHen the CS3 suite comes out, I will say bye to Bill Gates.

Hey, I looked at your video and I will grant you are right what you see but to me, it is so small a worry that I really do not care at all. And it only matters on large files and resolutions, which I do work on as a photographer. And besides, who is going to edit on a moving image like that? One only scrolls to get to a spot to work on and it is really a small distraction. I mean, compare the perfomance of CS2 to CS3. I am more than pleased. I will so much settle with this ever so slight annoyance (if you did not mention it, I would not have noticed nor cared) than I would want to deal with the world of instability in Windows. I was only staying with WIndows because I nee4ded the speed I got from CS2. WHen the CS3 suite comes out, I will say bye to Bill Gates.

Indeed i work with large files as i work on Print Brochures, artwork covers e.t.c.

As i said earlier, my post is not meant for scrolling or moving a picture like i do in the capture (that's not the case for artwork), but this symptom has impact on many cases, like:

If i use the PEN tool to mask a picture, so i remove the background (i use this very much), every time i click to create a point and then draw the next point (bezier curve line) there is a lag.

Also if i draw a curve with the PEN tool around of an object (really quickly), i also get this lag, delay. And if i go to 1600X1200, there is too much lag.

Same thing doesn't happen on CS3 on XP.

So as i am used to work really fast, i can't believe that the redraw performance on real Macs are like this.

I always believed that MAC'S are way better and faster on Photoshop, than on PC, that's why i am skeptical on this situation.

Of course there is no comparison between CS2 and CS3 on OSX, but i don't see that better performance on my Hack (according to some people).

Do i wait too much from a Hack ?

I really really like someone using a Real Mac, (iMac or MacPro), using Photoshop CS3 for his daily work and also have a PC with Photoshop CS3, to post his opinion!

Many thank's people for your time to download and see my test capture!

Any more comments on this are more than welcome!

Regards

EDIT:

For anyone interested in my topic, if you see on my capture video, on the first part (Osx), when i move around the hand tool, the picture is not following the speed of my Hand Tool.

Hand tool is faster than the actual movement of the picture.

You will see that the hand moves fast, but picture has a delay (hard time) following the movement of the tool.

The Hand tool is supposed to Grab the Picture and move it like it's locked in it's Hands (LOL), but that's not the case as you can see.

On the other hand on XP there is almost a LOCKED state in the Hand Tool movement with the picture.

BTW, anyone interested, the picture i used is on this page:

http://www.driverheaven.net/photoshop/

In the middle of the page where it says: Macintosh friendly ZIP version

i remember reading something recently about apple/adobe claiming there is a performance issue in OSX 10.4 (with photoshop) that will cause this and it will be fixed in Leopard, i think it had to do with paging.

I think this is another hackintosh problem. Because I run CS3 on my OS X install versus my XP install, and it flies on OS X in comparison, it's not even a competition, the loadup on Windows is like, 30 seconds, compared to five for OS X.

Definitely a hackintosh problem - and did I mention I'm only running a Macbook with 1 GB RAM and a GMA950? :blink:

I think this is another hackintosh problem. Because I run CS3 on my OS X install versus my XP install, and it flies on OS X in comparison, it's not even a competition, the loadup on Windows is like, 30 seconds, compared to five for OS X.

Definitely a hackintosh problem - and did I mention I'm only running a Macbook with 1 GB RAM and a GMA950? :censored2:

That's definitely a good reply, but... at what machine does the XP CS3 in installed?

Cause at my machine, both PS3 are loading under 5 seconds in both OSx and XP.

Also there is no problem with True Speed of PS3, cause as i tested with some benchmarks, the PS3 in OsX is indeed a little faster than on XP.

So, i too think that there is some problem with the Hack, and more precisely with GPU.

Thank's for your reply, and i wish some users with both Real Macs and Hacks to make some comparison and tell us their opinion!

Regards

• 5 months later...

I resurrect this topic, as i am very interested in this broblem.

Since the day i started this topic, i have bought a bigger 24" TFT monitor and everything is worst than it was with my 19" CRT.

Not only the feeling is slower, but i made another test in Illustrator CS3.

This time the results are way worst.

I opened a sample art from samples (Cheshire Cat.ai) and tried the same Hand Panning test. It was terrible.

I will try and make a video of the 2 tests again, so anyone can see.

One more thing that i saw was that, when i opened the open dialog box and scrolled to the samples directory in Illustrator (Cool extras -> Sample files -> Sample Art) and moving down with arrow key to choose a file, there was a big big delay on jumping from one file to another. Also the color wheel came up many times (as it was thinking), taking up too much time (without a reason) to preview a file.

The same thing doesn't happen in XP, where choosing a file in the same directory, is real time, with no delay at all.

All in all, i think either somethings wrong with my setup, or........... what i can say.

Oh, i have tested more than 6 different distro's, and now having XxX 10.4.10 install dvd, with Natit 0.2.

Also changed HDD (WD5000AAKS), to see if that was the cause, with no luck.

Anyone can confirm the above?