Run AppleTV on your intel mac - uses local media or acts as a standalone appleTV, can QUIT

DsurioN

223 posts in this topic

thats incredible!!

ur right!

I am NOT able to sostitue that stuff in correct mode!

I mean I write one thing and appears another..f..k , I tried severals tmes..I don't know the use of hexeditor... :whistle: :angry2:

EDIT: I'm doing better but the number at the left are not the same as the guide......!!!

Works beautifully in Tiger 10.4.7. Unfornutanely, I don't use tiger at all. In Leopard build 9a283, there is only a black/dark purple screen. Does anyone else have this problem?

any S/N midwest...

is there anyone who can add a DVD menu to launch some dvds?

is there anyone post the complete back row?

I know that's a great gift but please I want a clean application

thx guys

Well this is kind of interesting, not sure if its been discussed..

I hooked out video out to my tv opened up AppleTV and it works fine on the main tv.. and (unlike in frontrow) I still have full access to my secondary display. However it seems that AppleTV doesn't open the Remote in exclusive mode when I use two displays, so when I press up on the Remote, it does volume up + it moves up on the AppleTV menu, same thing for down, left, right..

Menu opens front row, and goes back in AppleTV, and Play starts playing iTunes and selects a menu..

I did everything except the hex editing. AppleTV works well, but I have to do the hex-editing to get it working with iTunes. Anyway, when I edit the lines with 0xED I cannot save the file because it complains about missing permissions to edit the file. I set the write mode in 0xED to Overwrite but this doesn't help. Does anybody know how to save the file?

If I can circumvent the hex-editing by using SwitchResX or another method, I would prefer this. Even better would be to have another program like SwtichResX which does the same for FREE.

NOTE: Apple remote and intel mac required.

UPDATE:

Use this tip to use the media on your local computer!

Found at http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?p=3654

Personally, after I got the streaming working I switched back to the FullscreenRenderer to avoid the hassle of setting the resolution manually every time ( you have to set it to 1280 x 800 before launching it with this trick).

Bugs/Missing Features:

-When I go to the wireless preferences in appleTV settings, the whole system locks up (but you don't really need those anyway)

-With the apple + tab trick, you now have to set your resolution manually to 1280 x 800 before launching it (or whatever appleTV normally uses on your system), or else it will not display properly.

ANOTHER UPDATE!

There's an app that will prevent Front Row from changing you resolution in the first place. Unfortunately it's only a trial, but you can use it for now (or uh.... "borrow" it...)

http://www.madrau.com/html/SRX/indexSRX.shtml

Just setup a profile for the front row.app and don't let it change the resolution.

Actually I don't really get what the quoted part is doing. When I start appleTV it seems to behave like before. Is it the possibility to make use of Apple+tab which makes the difference?

Then, when I lower the resolution of my MBP C2D 15" to 1280x800 before launching appleTV doesn't change anything, either. Do I have to switch to 800x600 or something like this to be able to switch between my iTunes and my appleTV window? I don't see how this should work.

Lastly, if I make use of either SwitchResX or DisplayConfigX, what are these aps supposed to do with appleTV? I am really sorry if I don't get it, but actually all the changes I made (followed all the necessary steps (skipping these which are not) including the hex editing which finally worked) didn't seem to change anything.

I still can't play local media because I can't setup iTunes for appleTV. I also installed the different available plugins - normally this should allow me to play all sorts of file types, right?

And then I still need to know how to get the TV function to work, as I hooked up a DVI-HDMI connection from my MBP to an HD-TV set-top box. Normally this should work, shouldn't it?

EDIT:

OK, I figured out how to get it done - unfortunately the Hackint0sh forum was offline for a while.

So here's what I missed and what I think is very important and should have been mentioned in the tutorial quoted on the first page of this thread (found here):

Dual Display (extended desktop) will let you see and control other apps, but you must move the launched apps in the second screen before launching Front Row.

--------------------

If you don't use the Dual display >>

Before starting Back Row, you must set your screen resolution to 640x480 or 800x600 and then start it, it will start and change the screen resolution to 1280x800 (or something like that) but will remain in 640x480 or 800x600 so you will be able to see the finder behind and select itunes.

--------------------

And you will be able to access your local itunes and let Back Row play its shared files... !

Hmmm.....

When it's on WindowRenderer.... , it works fine. But after changing it back to FullscreenRenderer, the application will not even boot. Its process will not even show up in Activity Monitor. What's going on?

Remember you changed BRFullscreenRenderer.... to BrWindowRenderer........

full = 4 dots, windowed = 8 dots

should i be able to control AppleTV on my Macbook with my keyboard?

also (i've read a lot and i guess i just dont quite understand how this works yet), i did the hex edit, and it created the Media folder on my drive, but i'm not sure how to use the iTunes media from my computer inside appleTV.

should i be able to control AppleTV on my Macbook with my keyboard?

Never worked for me.

However, the remote, while scrolling up and down, also changes the volume. It is quite humorous for about a minute until you realize you have to reset the volume every time you select some Media. :thumbsup_anim:

hey this is the coolest ever.

i think front row kinda sucks because it doesn't allow plugins.

thus, it lacks:

- ac3 passthrough over optical out (i need that for dvds and xvid.ac3 files)

- live tv integration with external tuners with pvr function

if this would become possible now on a hackintosh with back row, that would be the coolest!!!!

(it would even be cooler if it worked with cheap pci tv tuners, like hauppauge pvr-150)

simon

alright, i have completely working AppleTV replaced Frontrow. the only problem now is that i don't have volume control with remote. other than that, it works with no problems as far as i can tell.

next step--figuring out how to use local folders for AppleTV media, rather than streaming? and volume control with the remote...

EDIT: - experiencing random AppleTV crash when navigating the menus. {resolved itself}

- random crashing during sync

what i'm doing is syncing my iTunes with AppleTV and setting my AppleTV media folder to my external harddrive (where i had a backup of my iTunes anyhow) so now i can use AppleTV when i don't have an internet connection.

alright, i have completely working AppleTV replaced Frontrow. the only problem now is that i don't have volume control with remote. other than that, it works with no problems as far as i can tell.

next step--figuring out how to use local folders for AppleTV media, rather than streaming? and volume control with the remote...

EDIT: - experiencing random AppleTV crash when navigating the menus. {resolved itself}

- random crashing during sync

what i'm doing is syncing my iTunes with AppleTV and setting my AppleTV media folder to my external harddrive (where i had a backup of my iTunes anyhow) so now i can use AppleTV when i don't have an internet connection.

What do you mean by completly working?

The problem seems to be the DVD support.

A plugin that starts tghe DVD Player like frontrow does? Anyone?

i got it working fine. i have it syncing to an external harddrive. it works great. my only complaints are that there's no volume control with the remote, no DVD menu, and i think it'd be pretty sweet to get the intro clip to play when opening AppleTV.

Internet Problems with AppleTV:

For some reason i can't get it to sync with iTunes through my router on Wireless but when i hook up to any other wireless or if i go Ethernet to my router, it works fine. Unfortunately, it gives me a really terrible IP address with those other than my regular wireless SSID, and then i can't actually access the web... it removes all connectivity to the actual web from my computer and basically only works with iTunes (but can't sync my protected files because there is no connectivity to the www.) any suggestions or reasons why it would do that?

i got it working fine. i have it syncing to an external harddrive. it works great. my only complaints are that there's no volume control with the remote, no DVD menu, and i think it'd be pretty sweet to get the intro clip to play when opening AppleTV.

But i think after a couple weeks of regular usage, you would get tired of waiting for the intro video to complete. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Are you guys saying that I can access iTunes from the same computer I'm running Backrow from?

I have an iMac with a working AppleTV installation. I am not networked with any other mac. Would I be able to use my iTunes library? I can't at the moment no matter what I try. iTunes won't find my AppleTV. Thanks.

Joshua.

EDIT: Never mind. I'm an ass.

• 3 weeks later...

I got it all running fine on my intel mac mini. I only have two problems that still need to be solved before I can use it as a perfect HTPC.

When the mac enters sleep mode while Apple TV is running, and I wake it back up my Airport does not work anymore. It does not find any networks. Even if I exit Apple TV it still does not work. Only a restart of the mac makes the airport work again, very frustrating.

Also I do not have any volume control when I'm inside Apple TV. Is there a fix already to make this work?

Hope someone can help me!