Run AppleTV on your intel mac - uses local media or acts as a standalone appleTV, can QUIT

DsurioN

223 posts in this topic

yeah i just thought about checking the activity monitor and saw that... rats!

is there any way i can finangle someone here with the programming skittles to come up with or add onto the recent exit.frappliance plugin to automatically kill the loginwindow process?

have i mentioned how much you guys rock!

DsurioN, could you update your first post to include links to the advancements, or actual write-ups if you want.

I think that would at least centralize all the info in this thread... a whole bunch of stuff has popped up, and I'm sure newbies would appreciate that!

Just a suggestion!

-Urby

PS Thanks for all the work everyone is putting into this! This community ROCKS!

I deleted original front row app and now i can change volume WITH REMOTE on aptv on a macbook pro.

Can anyone verify this works.

Also any one know how to revert screen resolution after exit.frappliance. Maybe combine Close AppleTV.app With The exit.Frapp

...now if i could only figure out why my sleep, restart, shut down, log out options dont work after i exit the app? any thoughts?

also with fast user switching active, when i click on the other user the mouse starts pinwheeling/locks up in the entire right side of the menu bar...

would anyone out there be willing to create a simple/easy script or something to tell finder to basically relaunch after you exit ATV? I think that would effectivly fix every issue i just described.

please? :thumbsup_anim:

i have the exact same problem on my mbp.......that's probably the last main thing keeping me from installing this permanently....i keep going back and forth between installing it and not

i'm just afraid.........are there any side effects for installing the 2 frameworks? i just don't want to f up my whole install

okay......another issue i'm running into.......This is on a 15" MBP with a 22" external Dell LCD

when i set the mbp monitor as the main monitor (has menubar and dock), and run AppleTV (not replaced the original front row btw) it seems off center and the right side is cut off......is this because the interface can't output the 1440x900?

and also, anyone know how to get the exit.frappliance to switch back the resolution?

Thanks to everyone, you guys are really great. Everything works here, except when I Cmd + Tab, I'm not able to see the frontmost app. It runs behind aTV. Am I supposed to have 2 displays?

Edit: nevermind, got it working, hadn't noticed the tip on the original post.

i use a hackmac, it launches shows the intro video but then quits :(

Does anybody know how to fix it? Or what it is about the BRXHardwareUtility.m:145 ?

Last login: Sat Mar 31 13:32:30 on console

/Users/icy/Desktop/Front\ Row.app/Contents/MacOS/Front\ Row; exit

Welcome to Darwin!

icy:~ icy$ /Users/icy/Desktop/Front\ Row.app/Contents/MacOS/Front\ Row; exit

libosp.c:547:OSPGetState: kOSPBootCount: kRTCMethodReadBytes failed: 0xe00002c2

libosp.c:547:OSPGetState: kOSPBootCount: kRTCMethodReadBytes failed: 0xe00002c2

/SourceCache/Riptide/Riptide-175/BackRow/Utilities/BRXHardwareUtility.m:145: failed assertion `NO'

Abort trap

logout

[Process completed]

Ok heres the working dameon (Failed again... seems the AppleTV doesnt behave nicely, tested using a normal finder but fails in using the AppleTV version):

download : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.zip

source : http://files.semaja2.net/AppleTV.source.zip

(I hope even know it failed i hope it sparks a idea in someones head)

Now place it into your applications folder (you can change this but you need to change the below commands)

Now open the terminal and enter (replace the appletv user with the short name of your appleTV user): sudo /Applications/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon -user appletv

It will ask you for your password enter it and it launches, now fast user switch to your appleTV account and enjoy, when finished hold down "menu" until it returns you to the login screen

PS. i take no blame for any damage caused for using this daemon and will not be accountable for anything that may come of it

PSS. sorry if theres bugs or whatnot but im coding this very late at night and in a rush

PSSS. this can also be used to log out of your own user quickly :)

Doesn't work for me, as soon as I enter the code in terminal (sudo /Applications/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple\ TV\ Quit\ Daemon -user appletv) it gives me a message regarding it can't load the AppleRemote.framework library as it is referenced to your own library:

"dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/jamesas/Library/Frameworks/AppleRemote.framework/Versions/A/AppleRemote

Referenced from: /Applications/Apple TV Quit Daemon.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple TV Quit Daemon

Reason: image not found

Trace/BPT trap"

How can I fix that?

just added it. that is so slick! :)

...now if i could only figure out why my sleep, restart, shut down, log out options dont work after i exit the app? any thoughts?

also with fast user switching active, when i click on the other user the mouse starts pinwheeling/locks up in the entire right side of the menu bar...

would anyone out there be willing to create a simple/easy script or something to tell finder to basically relaunch after you exit ATV? I think that would effectivly fix every issue i just described.

please? :)

i have the exact same problem on my mbp.......that's probably the last main thing keeping me from installing this permanently....i keep going back and forth between installing it and not

ok i think i solved this issue with the loginwindow process freezing up... :)

previously on 24... just kidding. previously i was just using the new front row app as a standalone on the desktop, and whenever i wanted to run it i would just double click and away i went. however this resulted in the loginwindow freezing after i exited the app (by either using the steermouse method or the frappliance method, which i think is very slick)

so i kept rereading some of these posts and decided to just try to replaced the original front row app in system/library/core services (first backing up the original by the way!) dropped in the modified one and lo and behold, now all i have to do is hit the menu button on the apple remote whenever i want to use ATV and it will go right into ATV! to get out just go through the menus and select exit apple tv (frappliance method). Boom, youre out of ATV with no adverse effects to your system NOR! the loginwindow process! it no longer freezes, i am able to login logout, restart, etc etc without force quiting the process.

still havnt got the volume on the remote to adjust the volume in ATV however, as well as waiting for someone here to come up with a way for ATV that is running in another user to see ALL my media, not just the stuff in iTunes. i would like to be able to see/play my movies in the Movies folder etc.?

ok i think i solved this issue with the loginwindow process freezing up... :)

previously on 24... just kidding. previously i was just using the new front row app as a standalone on the desktop, and whenever i wanted to run it i would just double click and away i went. however this resulted in the loginwindow freezing after i exited the app (by either using the steermouse method or the frappliance method, which i think is very slick)

so i kept rereading some of these posts and decided to just try to replaced the original front row app in system/library/core services (first backing up the original by the way!) dropped in the modified one and lo and behold, now all i have to do is hit the menu button on the apple remote whenever i want to use ATV and it will go right into ATV! to get out just go through the menus and select exit apple tv (frappliance method). Boom, youre out of ATV with no adverse effects to your system NOR! the loginwindow process! it no longer freezes, i am able to login logout, restart, etc etc without force quiting the process.

still havnt got the volume on the remote to adjust the volume in ATV however, as well as waiting for someone here to come up with a way for ATV that is running in another user to see ALL my media, not just the stuff in iTunes. i would like to be able to see/play my movies in the Movies folder etc.?

I was able to get the apple remote to change volume on a macbook pro

I deleted The original front row app and now it works

I can only use it as a standalone app though

frcootbeer: what if i don't want to use this as a replacement and i just want to keep it as a regular app?

yes to conflicts...

i may actually change mine back. when i tried to view movie trailers from itunes on my main user account, as soon as i hit play ATV quit.

i dont really use the regular front row as much as others, so it didnt really matter to me to have ATV take its place, but since it doesnt play well with the other users for some reason, i may change it back to a standalone...

hi!

i tried everything like describe, but Front Row.app always crashes for me on a 20" intel iMac. here is hwat i get:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x000007f0

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 0x1000 + 201158

1 -[bRMediaHost addMediaProvider:] + 138

2 0x1000 + 33227

3 0x1000 + 27006

4 0x1000 + 21589

5 0x1000 + 21043

6 0x1000 + 18932

7 0x1000 + 1512278

8 0x1000 + 1512061

console.log:

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: Message Handler Installation Failed: bootstrap_check_in(): 0x44c: Bootstrap not privileged\n

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: No matching IR micro server found.

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: VERS: failed to get ImageVersion for display

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: VERS: failed to get BootImageVersion for display

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Resources/SettingsHelper: Failed to setuid

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: Settings helper failed: status 100

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Resources/SettingsHelper: Failed to setuid

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: Settings helper failed: status 100

Mar 31 12:33:34 iMac FrontRow[393]: VERS: failed to get ImageValid for display

Mar 31 12:33:35 iMac FrontRow[393]: Message Handler Installation Failed: service port is NULL\n

Mar 31 12:33:36 iMac crashdump[397]: Front Row crashed

Mar 31 12:33:36 iMac crashdump[397]: crash report written to: /Users/rl/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Front Row.crash.log

anyone has any thoughst on why this might be? sounds like many folks here have run this on 20" iMac without trouble?

thanks!

thanks Dsurion guide i'm able to see the introduction of atv , then I need to force a shut down like others.

My problem is that if I change with hexeditor Front Row and save it with the renderer modified( fullscreen-window) the application doesn't start anymore, and seen the message says

Malformed Mach-o file

What does it mean?

I need that working for going to the next step, activate the atv in iTunes.

Please help , I wanna try that. :whistle: