Run AppleTV on your intel mac - uses local media or acts as a standalone appleTV, can QUIT

DsurioN

223 posts in this topic

i'm still waiting for volume control and then this would be perfect. until i have volume contol with the apple remote, i can't bother with AppleTV as a substitute for FrontRow

• 3 weeks later...

My keyboard works with IRKeyboardEmu.kext by b.holland but for some reason if i press Up on my keyboard, the kext thinks it has been pressed 5 or 6 times. So it is impossible to actually navigate the menus, anyone else have this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is running fine. I use RemoteBuddy with Keyspan RF remote for Frontrow.

Volume works just fine (if u want to disable the fact that it changes with the up/down keys, remove RCD.app from /system/library/coreservices)

And set the REMOTE BUDDY to respond to UP(or Donw) key held to Volume UP/DOwn

• 4 weeks later...

Hay,

I have Apple TV installed on my External Harddrive....On startup I entered the OSX and when I pushed my remote to startup the Apple TV I worked fine...

But heres the problem...when i wanted to play music Apple TV asked to connect whit ITunes.

So I quited ATV and opend Itunes, putted in my right screen. opend ATV again on my left screen.

In Itunes,ATV connected but I had to give in a code in Itunes.

But i couldnt switch to Itunes to put in the number...

Any help?

Thanx in advance!

hi!

i tried everything like describe, but Front Row.app always crashes for me on a 20" intel iMac. here is hwat i get:

EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)

KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x000007f0

Thread 0 Crashed:

0 0x1000 + 201158

1 -[bRMediaHost addMediaProvider:] + 138

2 0x1000 + 33227

3 0x1000 + 27006

4 0x1000 + 21589

5 0x1000 + 21043

6 0x1000 + 18932

7 0x1000 + 1512278

8 0x1000 + 1512061

console.log:

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: Message Handler Installation Failed: bootstrap_check_in(): 0x44c: Bootstrap not privileged\n

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: No matching IR micro server found.

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: VERS: failed to get ImageVersion for display

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: VERS: failed to get BootImageVersion for display

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Resources/SettingsHelper: Failed to setuid

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: Settings helper failed: status 100

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/BackRow.framework/Resources/SettingsHelper: Failed to setuid

Mar 31 12:33:33 iMac FrontRow[393]: Settings helper failed: status 100

Mar 31 12:33:34 iMac FrontRow[393]: VERS: failed to get ImageValid for display

Mar 31 12:33:35 iMac FrontRow[393]: Message Handler Installation Failed: service port is NULL\n

Mar 31 12:33:36 iMac crashdump[397]: Front Row crashed

Mar 31 12:33:36 iMac crashdump[397]: crash report written to: /Users/rl/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Front Row.crash.log

anyone has any thoughst on why this might be? sounds like many folks here have run this on 20" iMac without trouble?

thanks!

Im getting exactly the same on a 1.83Ghz CD MacBook running 10.4.10. Strangely it works fine on my Hackintosh, but as I have no IR I can't control it....

My keyboard works with IRKeyboardEmu.kext by b.holland but for some reason if i press Up on my keyboard, the kext thinks it has been pressed 5 or 6 times. So it is impossible to actually navigate the menus, anyone else have this problem?

I get this as well as the volume changing, but I presume bootsee's suggestion would fix this.

Updating to 1.1 question:

I grabbed the Apple TV 1.1 installer from the interwebs. Do I just run it on my mac mini (currently running aTV 1.0) or are there some steps I must take? ;)

Thank you :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I have a question on installing the original Front Row app again

I've tried to put the backup of the original back into the /System/Library/CoreServices/ directory

and there I have to click Authenticate, Replace, and give my password. But then i get an error messages that tells me that it can't complete the operation because I don't have enough rights...

Wo now i don't have any front row when i press my menu button on the remote...

what can I do about it?

thanx!!!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just found this. It looks like it is only running on Tiger. But what is so intriguing about it is that this might somehow allow us to use Nvidia GPU decoding of h264 which is what the @tv uses. I will look into it further, but I hope this re-ignites the initiative.

• 10 months later...

Need some help, hopefully this thread still gets checked

I've tried for the last 2 days to get AppleTV to work on my Mac Mini running Leopard 10.5

I get as far as the sceen going black right after I push the menu button on my remote or double click the Front Row Icon in Applications. It stays black for a few seconds before bringing me back to the dashboard.

Any ideas???

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
Need some help, hopefully this thread still gets checked

I've tried for the last 2 days to get AppleTV to work on my Mac Mini running Leopard 10.5

I get as far as the sceen going black right after I push the menu button on my remote or double click the Front Row Icon in Applications. It stays black for a few seconds before bringing me back to the dashboard.

Any ideas???

Thanks

It doesn't work on leopard... only on tiger.

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Does anyone still happen to have that patched Finder executable, ATV4mac or the BackRow Installer?
It's nowhere to be found on the internet.

I'm trying to patch together a virtual AppleTV to act as an iTunes Server, actually syncing the physical audio files.
To my knowledge, the 1st gen AppleTV was the only device that ever did this without user interaction.

Why hasn't anyone tried this?

Any help is appreciated!

• 1 year later...