I am a new Mac convert. I have switched my laptop to a Macbook and my desktop to an Intel iMac. Now that I've seen the Apple TV in a local Apple store, I want to get a Mac running in the living room for my 50" widescreen HDTV.
I like the Apple TV, but I believe a Mac Mini would be a better choice. In fact, the Mini would do everything for me that the Apple TV would do, except for the following:
- HDTV resolutions
- Component and HDMI connections
- Apple TV menu (which I like WAAAY better than the Front Row interface on my other Macs)
- Non-integrated graphics without shared memory.
Therefore, I'd like to know the following...
- Can I get a Mac Mini to display the Apple TV interface instead of Front Row yet still keep all other OS X functionality intact?
- Can I add a DVD menu item (like Front Row has) to the Apple TV menu? I see that someone has added their own menu item using a hack.
- Since my HDTV uses DVI instead of HDMI, the missing HDMI / Component connections shouldn't be a problem. However, I don't know if the Mac Mini can natively display 720P resolution. Anyone know the answer?
- Since the Mini can be configured with a large hard drive or can have a large HD attached externally, streaming isn't an issue; therefore, would there be any benefit to modding a Mini with the newly available 802.11n AirPort card?