Introducing the newest additions to the InsanelyMac team...

Swad

110 posts in this topic

I've learned a lot over the past two years – I've discovered things about myself and the way life works. I've also learned that if a community like this is going to be run well, it has to be done by those who can commit the time and resources to seeing that through. I was able to fill that role for the past 2 years, but now the time has come to pass that to others who can carry the site forward.

I'm really excited to introduce you to the new owners of InsanelyMac: Brendan, Paul, Ed, and Jim. They started Fubra Limited - a small UK based web services group - a few years back to help people find (and use) good information. Ed and Jim also have their own design studio, do1. One of the reasons I chose to sell to them, out of the all other offers I received, was that they're passionate about helping people find the things and communities they're looking for.

They're all Mac fans, and Jim, one of the guys who'll be helping here, has been an InsanelyMac member (ColdFusion) since a month after this site was started. These guys are great because they're interested in the same things we are. Another reason I wanted to sell to them is that the only changes they want to make are improvements: better news, additional focus on new tweakable products like AppleTV, and other projects. And since their expertise is in content, expect things to get a lot easier to find. (A better search function! Yay!) Plus, since they had to buy the site, they'll be accountable to themselves and others, since the money they put forward acts as a contract of sincerity.

Although this will be their first Mac forum to run, these guys are no strangers to the Web (or Macs or OSx86), and their team has the technical skill to do the things I've only dreamed about. They'll be able to bring a more professional – but still lighthearted and fun – air to the site than I've been able to give. They're in their 20's like many of us, so that helps too.

In short, Ed and Jim and their friends will bring a fresh perspective to InsanelyMac that'll ensure it remains a place we're proud to call home. The contract we signed ensures that I'll be around for the next 3 years (at the very least!) so I won't be going anywhere. :unsure:

You'll get to know these guys better in the upcoming few days and weeks. We're planning some IRC Q&A sessions and we'll let you know more when we get the dates set. Welcome to InsanelyMac, guys!

Yay, I get to be the first to say welcome in the welcome thread!

WELCOME!

I know that if I paid 75 G's for a website, I'd work my tookus off to maintain it and keep it strong, and do my best to make it grow.

Heres to a new day! Thanks, Swad/Mash for all you've done and will continue to do!

We need a name for the new team... Suggestions?

Welcome to the forum, Brendan, Paul, Ed, and Jim. I'm sure you'll all be brilliant for this community - a breath of fresh air! I look forward to meeting you. :unsure:

- Tim.

Welcome guys, we look forward to seeing some good things coming to the site (hint better search functionality would be great!).

Swad, thanks again for all the hard work you have put into this site and good luck with everything in the future.

whatever happened to selling to one guy because teams just can't cut it (basically what you said the other day)

No offence meant by that at all, Welcome in guys, Lets hope to see some great site improvements and some more organized structure :unsure:

I can only hope that the new owners will do a good job of maintaining this forum/site as well as you did Mash. Maybe even better. This site has been a great focal point for all things Hackintosh and has helped me and thousands of other people get their Hackintoshes to work. I bid you well Mash, and hope you enjoy the 75000$. I for one believe you deserved it.

Thanks a lot Mash, I hope to see you around for the next three years and maybe even more.

whatever happened to selling to one guy because teams just can't cut it (basically what you said the other day)

Haha - I love it when people actually read what I say! Great question.

It's the difference between:

1. Handing over a forum that earns some money to a group of volunteers that have never met each other in person. No contracts, no enforcement, no personal contact, etc.

2. Selling the site to 4 guys who work at the same business. They are in constant contact with each other, some of them are higher on the hierarchy than others, there's protocol, canonized chain of command, etc.

In the first scenario, one person can push the others out if there's no leader (no place where the "buck stops"). In the second, there is a chain of command with a very specific protocol for who does what, what happens during conflict, etc.

Suzuka-

Yup, I think so. To be honest we haven't really talked about my "official title" but I've never been worried about things like that. As long as I can hang out here and help, I'll be happy. :)

Cheers - to the brilliant legacy and initiative of Swad and promising possibilities with our future admin! Congratulations to all!

Stephen

P.S. Haha, better search would be nice... but you still can't make people use it before posting. haha