Hardware Compatability Lists (HCLs)

sHARD>>

43 posts in this topic

As our users transition from 10.4.1 to 10.4.3 builds, we would like to take the time to differenciate between the two of them, including on our Hardware Compatability Lists (HCLs). At this stage of the game, the old HCL wiki links will continue to offer you the latest information on 10.4.1 builds, as most users still consider this relevant. However, this older list will eventually be phased out if required, and the 10.4.3 HCL will take its place. In the mean time, find our HCLs below:

10.4.1: HCL

10.4.1: HCL for Parts

10.4.3: HCL

10.4.3: HCL for Parts

I just take a look at the HCL for 10.4.3. Someone has post success with a celeron M (no PAE), the same in the section for notebooks.

This means:

- it's possible to install 10.4.3 with a old PentiumM (no PAE)

or

- this guy is posting {censored}.

BTW, I just was on Maxxus homepage, nothing has changed.

Any ideas?

What would be really cool.... and I am not sure if I could do this because I lack any iNet bandwidth or time.... (yeah, life in russia sucks)... It would be nice to have a robust searchable list of hardware. This would be standard packages as bought from the bigger ODMs/OEMs (i.e. notebooks & desktops) as well as individual pieces of hardware (i.e. Video cards, NICs, ect.).

Then some one could just basically use some sort of check-off list/form for compatibility. The form would collect the values from every entry. Then, a user could simply reference the db and see what different user experiences where encountered with any particular piece of equipment... all within one location (no hunting).

I think this would give the HCLs a huge amount of muscle and usability with the user base.

But again... I think I lack the time and iNet that is needed. :-(

-Michael

There seems to be another guy (Technobob) who posted success with a Pentium M 1.6GHz SSE2 (no PAE)... (here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=4806)...

so chances might be getting higher to install 10.4.3 with older Pentium M's... or this guy is also posting {censored}... I'll give the new test kernel (url removed by mod.) from maxxus a try since I own a IBM T42 myself... :)

I just take a look at the HCL for 10.4.3. Someone has post success with a celeron M (no PAE), the same in the section for notebooks.

This means:

- it's possible to install 10.4.3 with a old PentiumM (no PAE)

or

- this guy is posting {censored}.

BTW, I just was on Maxxus homepage, nothing has changed.

Any ideas?

There seems to be another guy (Technobob) who posted success with a Pentium M 1.6GHz SSE2 (no PAE)... (here: http://forum.osx86project.org/index.php?showtopic=4806)...

so chances might be getting higher to install 10.4.3 with older Pentium M's... or this guy is also posting {censored}... I'll give the new test kernel (url removed by mod.) from maxxus a try since I own a IBM T42 myself... :D

No Bull Here

post-9016-1132985481_thumb.png

post-9016-1132985496_thumb.png

I don't know what it is, I just know it's not a Dothan CPU.

T40 is Banias just like T41 CPU has 1024kB L2 cache and 400MHz bus. T42 is Dothan with 2048kB L2 cache and 400MHz bus. T43 is Sonoma 2048kB L2 cache and faster 533MHz bus.

I think that OS X 10.4.3 should work fine on all those IBMs.

As per PM I sent to Maxxuss:

Re: Anomalies regarding PAE/10.4.3

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilditup1

I expect you get a lot of these PMs, and someone else has already pointed this out to you but:

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/in.../HCL/Portables

Over there we have three people claiming that 10.4.3

works without PAE, and I've seen a couple more testimonials scattered around win2osx.net and forum.osx86project.org.

I know you are probably knee-deep in hacking the latest build, but this is important because it seems that not all early Dothans are created equal. Either that or their just full of it.

-eli b.

Maxxuss' reply:

I don't think so. PAE is used and the PAE data structures for 64 bit page table entries are not working w/o PAE. Ask them to boot windows with /PAE boot.ini switch and show their system info panel; which should have "Physical Address Extension" in it...

----

So everyone with a Banias/early Dothan, please try this and report back whether XP detects PAE or not.

Hi

Everyone this is my 1st post.

i'm running native Mac os 10.4.3 + Maxxuss patch 1.0 + addon on

Asus M3np with pentium mobile 1.4 (banias)

Everest tells me :

no nx support

no pae support :]

So i'm very happy but i don't know how it was possible :]

i was only able to install with addon from maxxuss (standart 1.0 patch doesn't work)

screenshots

picture13oa.th.jpg

picture21ta.th.jpg

picture32gx.th.jpg

Now i switch back to the windows xp becouse i don't have internet connection working on my 2nd machine (powermac g5) and i instaled windows xp to have my usb adsl modem working.

I will be installing 4.3 build on monday evening when i get another adsl modem :]

sorry for my bad english :]

I was looking in my system log and noticed this.

Nov 27 14:01:22 localhost kernel[0]: PAE enabled

Coulld it be that Mac is able to use a function that Intel says is broken in Pentium M's a problem that Intel says that there is no fix for. The strange thing is farther down in the log when it reports my CPU features it does not show I have PAE support.

Nov 27 14:01:22 localhost kernel[0]: CPU features: FPU VME DE PSE TSC MSR MCE CX8 SEP MTRR PGE MCA CMOV PAT CLFSH DS ACPI MMX FXSR SSE SSE2 TM EST TM2

so chances might be getting higher to install 10.4.3 with older Pentium M's... or this guy is also posting {censored}... I'll give the new test kernel (url removed by mod) from maxxus a try since I own a IBM T42 myself... :(

I was trying to ask a couple of questions, screwed up so I don't know if they went out or got lost! Just in case what I wanted to know was: Has anyone tried to get a system running on an AMD chip, and if so which one? Can someone advise as to how to find a complete dl for installation? Could someone give me the URL for Maxxus' home page?

Thank you

If it says in System Profiler that there is PAE in my CPU features, I would assume that 10.4.3 should be able to install. I only ask because my system is running 10.4.1 with the 10.4.3 Update they made a while ago and I wondered if that would make any difference?

Please PM me if you have a response or experience running the same hardware I am.

Edited by Polybius

I want to report a broken dothan... I'll post it in the wiki right now.

Pentium M 710: Dothan 90nm, 1.4 Ghz, 400 MHz FSB, 2048 kbytes L2 (not the first ones then, but the 2MB caché). Booting XP SP2 with /PAE does not show Physical Address Extension in system properties.

In cpu-z: stepping 6, revision B1, instructions MMX, SSE, SSE2, and mobo is shown as i855GM/GME rev A2.

Laptop is Amilo M1420 with bios 1.26 from Fujitsu-siemens, 1GB PC2700 RAM installed.

I guess I'll never get os-x x86 to boot (damn!), at least not in a short time...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm just wondering: On the HCL parts page, someone listed an AMD Winchester 3200+ as having SSE3, and working normally. I believe this to be a misprint of some sort; the Winchesters don't have SSE3, only Venice and up. Either that, or the person used magic.

• 3 weeks later...