Favourite Linux/UNIX distro

linuxfan66

110 posts in this topic

mandrake 2008 is worth checking out.. a very solid build and everything worked out of the box for me on an asus f3e. however i use sabnzbd and found good support for installing this only on ubuntu. the gutsy gibbon release is very good build with compiz fusion is working just fine on my x3100 graphics.

• 2 weeks later...
webmonkey44, we use HP-UX at university on DEC Alphas and it utterly rocks :blink:

P.S. CDE the best =)

Old post, but this must be the most magical version of HP-UX ever. OSF/1 ran on the older Alphas (DEC), and Tru64 on the post-Compaq acquisition Alphas. Prior to that, it was Ultrix (VAX/MIPS).

HP-UX is m68k (support dropped a while ago) FOCUS (HP/9000, support dropped a while ago), PA-RISC (support is pretty much dropped, though maintenance releases of 11.11 should keep it up) and Itanium/Itanium2.

For me? Solaris Developer Express on a Sun Blade 1000 (2x900 Mhz UltraSPARC III, 8GB RAM, 2x146GB FC-AL drives, XVR-1000), Intellistation 6224-33U (dual opteron 254, 8GB RAM). OpenSUSE on my other systems (Athlon64 x2 4200+, Athlon64 x2 4000+, Inspiron 1520). Got sick of Ubuntu's breakage, terrible support of any hardware that's not enthusiast (Adaptec 29160 should not require me to fix the permissions with a LiveCD every time I boot, and yes, I submitted a bug. No, if I wanted to roll my own kernel, I'd still be on Gentoo, Slack, or Arch), and fanboy userbase.

openSuSE

Really? I don't like it myself, seems too bloated and big, over the top if you will...

Love Slackware, though trying to find GNOME for it is just plain annoying, and some ancient traditions prevent moving forward, but what do you expect when its that stable?

Ubuntu for the desktop and such, Gentoo for the programming and tech {censored}.

I started off with OpenSUSE, then I reformatted and tried Ubuntu Edgy, which was good, until I upgraded to 7.04 and lost half my previously-working peripherals and audio. So I went back to OpenSuSE, and had a problem with the video card. I liked them both, but OpenSuSE did feel a little warmer (and Beryl worked better). I don't think it's bloated, because I did go through and take the time to only selet the packages I really needed (knowing it was easy to add more later - that's what I love about good Linux distros). I'm still a novice, which informs my decisions. Ultimately, I hope to be using a straight Debian install or something, once I'm better at installing and understanding the whole Linux environment. One thing's for sure: It's time for a new compy! I'm tired of trying to shoe-horn OSX and Linux into the hardware I have. Better to work the other way, I think. Now, where did I put my money . . . ?

Really? I don't like it myself, seems too bloated and big, over the top if you will...

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3019

"openSUSE is bloated"

This couldn't be further away from truth. openSUSE 10.3 has actually the most lean footprint of all recent releases. All patterns have been reworked and packages more splitted, eg you can install a very small base system or basic X window. The desktop CD installations are coercively optimized for size. You can call a full DVD or CD+online repos installation bloated but then you opted for the wide range of applications option.

This couldn't be further away from truth. openSUSE 10.3 has actually the most lean footprint of all recent releases. All patterns have been reworked and packages more splitted, eg you can install a very small base system or basic X window. The desktop CD installations are coercively optimized for size. You can call a full DVD or CD+online repos installation bloated but then you opted for the wide range of applications option.

Checkmate! I gotta check out 10.3.