Favourite Linux/UNIX distro

linuxfan66

110 posts in this topic

Sabayon deffinately. It has every usefull app under the sun fresh off instalation, very easy to use very stable the GUI is to drool for and it owns anything out on any other distro. Also my 7900 go gs and intel abg wifi were fresh out the box supported and detected. Im running it x64 with no problems I actually use it over my OSX and XP installations. Being me sucks tho. :blink: I mean sabayon doesnt support my bluetooth and my logitech z10 speakers stopped working 4 no reason. XP doesnt support my card reader or bluetooth and wifi works but it wont connect to the internet alltho their is a connection to my router, OSX works fine with audio & video but wireless doesnt work nor bluetooth or usb. I have to juggle all 3 to get diff functionality. I use OSX for video because retarded xp cant render my video colors correcty, I use sabayon for web and everything else when i dont need to listen 2 music -.- and xp for videogames. :wacko:

Why does everyone love Ubuntu? It is based on Debian, what does it have that debian doesn't? <-- Legit Question

Thanks

Well, Ubuntu is just soooo easy!

Esp the new graphics drivers thing.

I don't really now if that is on any other distros (I haven't tried Mandriva or Suse)

Why does everyone love Ubuntu? It is based on Debian, what does it have that debian doesn't?

Thanks

Very legitimate :)

Debian: a community project with high ideals.

Ubuntu: a project backed by the millions of Mr Shuttleworth, with very clever policies, like sending free CDs (I don't know if they still do these days)

Ubuntu: a project backed by the millions of Mr Shuttleworth, with very clever policies, like sending free CDs (I don't know if they still do these days)

I love the idea of the free CDs, it makes Linux open to nearly everyone.

Also, having a CD with artwork and a case looks better than a Tesco CD-R with 'Ubuntu' scribbled on it

I love the idea of the free CDs, it makes Linux open to nearly everyone.

Also, having a CD with artwork and a case looks better than a Tesco CD-R with 'Ubuntu' scribbled on it

I agree.

My favourite Linux distro is Debian.

I work for a Webhosting company and all our servers are running Debian.

I think desktop shouldn't run Linux, but OSX86 instead :)

But if you'll need to run Linux on the Desktop: Ubuntu and Gentoo are the best in my vision.

My favourite Linux distro is Debian.

But if you'll need to run Linux on the Desktop: Ubuntu and Gentoo are the best in my vision.

And what is wrong with Debian as a desktop distro?

I think desktop shouldn't run Linux, but OSX86 instead :rolleyes:

I agree with that one.

sidux team released the final version of sidux 2007.02.

Here's the Full Story:

After 3 months of development we are proud to announce the immediate availability of the sidux-2007-02 "Τάρταρος" release for amd64 and i686 systems, shipping in a ≈425 MB lite KDE and a ≈ 690 MB full KDE flavor. sidux is a full featured Debian sid based live CD with a special focus on hard disk installations, a clean upgrade path within sid and additional hard- and software support.

Our second official sidux release has concentrated on overhauling the early boot sequence and adapting to a wider variety of desktop environments and window managers, further efforts regarding the second boot stage, localisations, toolkit abstraction/ harmonisation and refactoring the installer are ongoing. While this release only ships in two KDE flavors (lite and full) again, we're looking for interested maintainers contributing to special purpose releases or tweaking support for other desktop environments and window managers. The ISO is completely based on Debian Sid, enriched and stabilized with sidux' own packages and scripts. It comes with kernel 2.6.21.3, which is based on the most recent vanilla kernel together with several patches for improved hardware support, especially for wireless LAN devices (mac80211).

Now to the interesting topics, like what's on the menu for now:

* amd64 (AMD64, Intel Core2, newer 64 bit capable Pentium 4 CPUs (watch for the "lm" flag in /proc/cpuinfo or use infobash -v3) and i686 (pentium pro/ pentium II or newer).

* debian sid, up to date as of 2007-05-28 14:30 UTC.

* kernel 2.6.21.3 (smp, hard preemption, mac80211).

* KDE 3.5.7 (en + de).

* completely overhauled early boot sequence.

* largely adapted installer and graphical installer frontend.

* enhanced installer for meta tasks.

* new artwork created by cathbard and the sidux art team.

* offline manual for en + de directly on the disc, online manuals for more languages online at
and available via apt; a big thank you goes to the documentation and translation teams!

* A number of fixes and enhancements for the installer and the meta-installer.

* installer fixes for fromiso boots.

* changes regarding the access concentrator probing for PPPoE links.

* fixed xawtv configuration frontend.

* minor artwork tweaking.

* lots of changes for the manual

* iwlwifi 0.21.

* ndiswrapper updates.

* support for ATi SB700 chipsets.

* MPC52xx support.

* performance boost for Intel ICH7 based IDE controllers.

* kvm ABI 19

* improved support for SCSI devices.

Info and Download HERE.

Sidux:

1) I wouldn't recommend a distro based on Debian unstable to anybody. Wait... Ubuntu is also based on Debian unstable.

2) Sidux came into existence when the vast majority of Kanotix developers left. Trouble is, the mind, life and soul of Kanotix was/is Kano. A "Kanotix derivative" can never be the same without him.

Having said that, use any truly community driven distro you like. Don't use a distro with a "corporate" soul.

Ubuntu....no doubt it is the best

Ubuntu (the best)

Haven't I seen that somewhere before? :P

Fortunately some people are beginning to prove that the millions of Mr Shuttleworth aren't everything.

i agree.

i agree too

ubuntu is too simplified

i cant even update from xfce 4.4.0 to 4.4.1 on it

oh and i agree with this too "Boycott Xtorrent. It is {censored}. And why pay for a BitTorrent client? That is crazy."

transmission FTW

my favorite distrro is fedora right now but looking at alessandro's avatar im downloading openSUSE to try on my P3 right now

I dont like to discourage linux use, despite what distro i might no approve of, but I personally dont use Ubuntu(Gentoo), but I would much rather new users have an easy distro to transition, including Ubuntu, Suse*, and Fedora. We dont need newbies going straight to advanced distros, getting frustrated and then returning to windows.

I dont like to discourage linux use, despite what distro i might no approve of, but I personally dont use Ubuntu(Gentoo), but I would much rather new users have an easy distro to transition, including Ubuntu, Suse*, and Fedora. We dont need newbies going straight to advanced distros, getting frustrated and then returning to windows.

Sorry, but I have to disagree about Ubuntu being easy for new users: far too buggy.

A random, quick example:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=285446&page=28

Only 24.79% didn't have problems when upgrading to Edgy?

That is very bad. I have never had problems upgrading SUSE from one version to the next (or Debian, for that matter).

Personally I have found every new Ubuntu release buggier than the previous. And I am not a new user.

FreeBSD!

I love it, it's so configurable :rolleyes:

And it's really quick, ports is a nice way to install things and it's really stable :whistle:

All of the linux apps work on it, except maybe cedega and stuff that NEEDS linux API's such as drivers and Crossover :whistle:

FreeBSD is great :rolleyes:

i hate all that 'new fancy' distro`s like ubuntu,kubuntu,pc linux ....

maybe they are good for new amateur users,but don`t have the spirit of linux.

it`s like mutation of windows....

:pirate2: :pirate2: :pirate2:

R

I have rated your profile 5 stars and I have added you to my friends' list.

A person who can stand up against the Ubuntu brainwashing is good enough to be my friend.

i prefer opensuse (no im not sucking up hahahah thatd be funny, but i dont like ubuntu.... and suse was my first linux distro =D )

although i do like the free ubuntu disks, theyre good.... if they work hahah