Favourite Linux/UNIX distro

linuxfan66

110 posts in this topic

My favorite distros are:

Slackware and Gentoo

Why? Well see, now most distros that people have are automated for n00bz and you basically have to go with the preinstaled settings or the small variety of settings in the GUI. In Slackware and Gentoo, the system is very moddable (Modules, Drivers, Kernels, X......) and not n00bified. I have done great things with these distros when I was not able to do this with Mandrake or Linspire or (you get the idea).

Actually KDE (and almost everything else) allows plenty of customization in virtually every distro.

And besides even very experienced users don't always fancy doing everything manually. I know even experienced developers who go for a distro with good defaults. Else we should assume that the people who develop a distro don't use it.

OS X, obviously...

But really, it'd be some variant of Ubuntu. I've got both Ubuntu and Kubuntu in VMware VMs, and I'm trying to decide which I like better. Leaning towards Kubuntu, though. KDE is nice.

Although I hate how everything begins with "K" - Konqueror, Konsole, Kaffeine... I could go on. :D

Actually KDE (and almost everything else) allows plenty of customization in virtually every distro.

And besides even very experienced users don't always fancy doing everything manually. I know even experienced developers who go for a distro with good defaults. Else we should assume that the people who develop a distro don't use it.

Well, you are right.

Mandriva Powerpack (it has it all)

Ubuntu (very nice but the.. bugs...)

Solaris 10 (sweet-fast-great but complicated at times)

Gentoo and SuSE are also nice

Mandrivia powerpack costs :D $$$ ;) by itself. Use Debian or SUSE instead!

Why does everyone love Ubuntu? It is based on Debian, what does it have that debian doesn't? <-- Legit Question

Thanks

Self configures the X server, unified install, better "home" packages natively installed, great access to it's own respositories, great community, and now, some closed software makes it in, as they realize a little closed code makes an open OS Great. These Opensource only radicals are who leave Linux in the back, as the software world will never include it if it doesn't support the technology closed code has to offer, and that's why FOSS only distros never made it.

LOL, FOSS ditros have never made it.. not

Look at Gentoo and Debian, after all Debian is still the oldest surviving GNU/linux distro.

REAL linux distros don't put in closed source programs because of license restrictions and the GNU manifesto and beliefs it sets forth.

If the community of Linux didn't believe in this policy then we would have had zfs in the kernel a long time ago.

After all, you can always install them after.

Ubuntu Feisty

PCLinuxOS

Sidux

DesktopBSD

PCBSD

VLOS

Sabayon

done!

LOL, FOSS ditros have never made it.. not

Look at Gentoo and Debian, after all Debian is still the oldest surviving GNU/linux distro.

Yes, because they have such wide desktop market penetration...not.

REAL linux distros don't put in closed source programs because of license restrictions and the GNU manifesto and beliefs it sets forth.

Yes, and this prevents people from getting proprietary hardware support, thus not switching to linux. If there's a closed source device, there's no reason they need to make the drivers OSS to satisfy the OSS community. But support IS essential. Exactly the hypocritical Linux additude.

If the community of Linux didn't believe in this policy then we would have had zfs in the kernel a long time ago.

Yes, not a good policy.

After all, you can always install them after

Oh, because recompiling a kernel to include ZFS support is SOOO easy for avg. joe, NOT.

Here we go with "vi/ssh is so easy my dead grandmother can do it"

• 2 weeks later...

Debian Etch

MEPIS 3.3(NOT later versions)

OSX(I don't have a mac and I am NOT going to try OSX86 as it is too legally dubious for me in oz.)