ac97audio kext in osx 10.4.3

tekno

72 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums but I've been trying to perfect my OS X x86 install for the last week or two. I've got everything set so far except for my sound. I have 10.4.5 (8G1454) installed on my Asus K8V SE Deluxe using the onboard sound. When I run DXDiag in windows, I get VENDOR ID as 1106 and DEV ID as 3059. I've followed all the proper steps and Tiger now recognizes that an audio device is installed, but heres the rub.. No sound comes out of the Line-out port but when I plug the speakers into the MIC input port, I get mono sound! I have no idea how this is happening and what I can do to resolve the issue. Has anyone else run into this? Any help/suggestions/comments on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

• 4 months later...

i have a firewire presonus firebox audio interface and as far as i can tell sound works great, but everytime i start up i get "Apple AC97Audio.kext & AppleAA97AudioIntelICH.kext" errors. is something not working properly that i just havent found yet or is it b/c my firebox is running the show? if so how do i get the error msg's to stop popping up everytime i start up. or if the msg is for something i need to worry about how do i fix it? i saw the fix posted by macgirl but im afraid if i do it, it will make my firebox stop working.Thanks in advance. By the way i am running 10.4.7 on a dell optiplex gx280 p4 2.8 ghz i gb ddr2 ram, gma 900 video etc...

This is my first post in the forums and its to thank macgirl :) and pucca...u guys rock....thanks

now to keep going on with the other issues

audio - check!

oh btw it work on my Dell gx620 soundmax intergrated audio 10.4.8 JaS update from the 10.4.7 JaS internal dvd

Hello EveryOne I have a Computer with a EliteGroup Motherboard P4VXAS V1.1 I think it has a VIA-3058 chipset.The problem is that when I start MAC Os 10.4.7 Jas Iso Repack It Loads everything Ok,but When I go to see if the OS detects It I find nothing I have Another post with this problem take a look:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=29384

Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...

I get an HP compaq nc4010, running 10.4.6. Never able to get audio work even after searching for a lot of forums.

Details of my built-in sound card:

SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio: PCI\VEN_10B9&DEV_5451&SUBSYS_005A0E11&REV_02\3&61AAA01&0&30

Anybody ever make this work?? Follow which one's procedure??

Thanks for any hints ...

• 1 month later...

Hello! I am becoming crazy yet with all i have read and have tested.

I have tried to change kext file, and has not worked for my sound card.

I have tried to change the vendor & Devie in kext file, but not work, and now i'm not sure if I have changed it well

I have two sound cards with the following characteristics:

Name:

Audio native Yamaha DS1x

ID: PCI\VEN_1073DEV_0010SUBSYS_00101073REV_02

Name: Audio SoundMax HD 0

ID:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01VEN_11D4DEV_1986SUBSYS_1043819FREV_1005

Somebody can help me?

Thank you very much

Alex.

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

I am running 10.4.6 (JaS load) on a Medion PC with a Microstar MS-6533-L motherboard. The chipset is a SiS 645DX. OS is loaded onto a separate 40 GB HD.

I have had a few problems with this:

1. The PS/2 keyboard is not recognized. I'm using a Logitech wireless/USB keyboard.

2. Sometimes when I boot, I get the gray 4-language reboot screen. If I shut the system down, sometimes it will boot normally, sometimes I can repeatedly press F8 and get the boot options screen. I have tried platform=x86pc and platform=acpi with generally good results. I can ususally tell if the boot will succeed because I can hear the HD heads clicking. If I don't hear them, I get the reboot screen.

3. Sometimes after booting (and it always seems to happen when I start up and then go away for a period of time) I will have the desktop, but no mouse pointer. All I can do at this point is press the power button & reboot.

4. About every third boot, when I fire up Safari, I get the message that I'm not connected to the internet. I go to preferences & click on network, select the PCI ethernet card, and then everything works.

All of these above are annoying, but liveable. However, the one that has me totally stumped is that I cannot get sound. I have the Realtek AC97 onboard sound. The vendor/device ID comes up as 0x70121039.

If I apply the kext mod as shown in a variety of places, I will get a volume indicator on the menu bar, and if I go into preferences, I will see the AC97 audio as an output device. However, if I actually try to USE the sound, whether trying the speaker setup test or running iTunes, the system locks up hard - will not respond to mouse clicks (although the mouse pointer can be moved) or keyboard. The only thing I can do is a push the power button & reboot, then edit out the string I added. I have tried adding the dev/vendor string to the ICH6, the ICH5, the ICH4 and the nVidia sections of the kext with the same result. I realize that this seems to be a common issue, and that everyone is busy with their own problems - but does anyone have anything else I can try?

Thanks much!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I running Jas 10.4.8, and tried all the audio tips I got here, but still no sound :)

Have a Toshiba Tecra M1 with a SoundMax AD1986A I think, the VendorID is 8086 and

the DevID = 24C5

Any help would be appreciated !!!!!

Thanks in advance and best regards

Thorsten

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

jslugger, I had it install on 10.5.2 by downloading macgirl's kext, then doing this:

make sure your AppleAC97Audio.kext is present in /System/Library/Extensions, then run the following in Terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

then clean your extensions cache:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Hope this helps!

jslugger, I had it install on 10.5.2 by downloading macgirl's kext, then doing this:

make sure your AppleAC97Audio.kext is present in /System/Library/Extensions, then run the following in Terminal:

cd /System/Library/Extensions

sudo chown -R /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext

kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

cd /System/Library/Extensions/AppleAC97Audio.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

kextload AppleAC97AudioIntelICH.kext

then clean your extensions cache:

rm /System/Library/Extensions.kextcache

kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions

Hope this helps!

These instructions work great until I get to the line "kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext" When I try to enter this I get the error: "you must be running as root to load modules into the kernel

" I have tried to run as sudo, but this didn't work. Any ideas?

• 1 month later...
These instructions work great until I get to the line "kextload AppleAC97Audio.kext" When I try to enter this I get the error: "you must be running as root to load modules into the kernel

" I have tried to run as sudo, but this didn't work. Any ideas?

Use "su root" to switch to root. If you do not have root enabled, open Directory Utility via Applications->Utilities->Directory Utilities. You may have to unlock this to make changes. Click Edit->Enable Root User. You will be prompted to create the root password.

Once you've done this go back to the terminal and retry "su root".

I hope this helps.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...
i know there's other methods of getting the ac97 kext installed, the one method listed previously in this thread did not work for me, so i used a different method...works for me

drag AppleAC97Audio.kext from the source to desktop

click Finder and navigate to System...Library...Extensions folder

drag AppleAC97Audio.kext from desktop to Extensions folder

Finder...Applications...Utilities....

open Terminal

type

sudo -s

<type your password> then press enter

chmod -R 755 (you can drag the ac97 kext here from the extensions folder) then press enter

chown -R root:wheel (you can drag the ac97 kext here from the extensions folder) then press enter

diskutil repairPermissions /

when complete...X out of terminal and terminate

reboot

upon reboot, you should have audio

Thanks if it wornt for you i would of gone back to Windows

i know there's other methods of getting the ac97 kext installed, the one method listed previously in this thread did not work for me, so i used a different method...works for me

open Terminal

type

sudo -s

chmod -R 755 (you can drag the ac97 kext here from the extensions folder) then press enter

chown -R root:wheel (you can drag the ac97 kext here from the extensions folder) then press enter

reboot

Thanks

open Terminal

type

sudo -s

reboot

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...