Apple TV OS is up for download!

Prawker

37 posts in this topic

Thus, why an installer package would be helpful. And who knows...maybe it'll even be in a JaS DVD one day. :thumbsup_anim:

(And I think this thread might be better served in the AppleTV subforum, despite the fact it is technically reader news).

Reposting this:

I'll be the first to ask this question

Why would you want to install AppleTV on a PC when you can just have OSX installed?

Genuine question.

Also if you really want to use the AppleTV OS for what it was created for, does that not mean having it connected to your TV (as the real AppleTV is)? I don't see me taking my computer and connecting it to my TV.

I agree with you for the most part, AcePlayer. It is rather redundant to try running it on your PC, when you already have alternatives availalble like standard FrontRow, or mythTV.

For me, really, I thought the novelty of being able to run the aTV "OS" on my PC would be pretty cool, not to mention having the chance to poke around it's customized OS X install.

But to each his/her own, really.

There are three reasons you would want it:

1. Novelty. I mean seriously, who wouldn't want AppleTV on your mini/macbook/whatever? It's cool, Mac's are cool, thats just cool squared my friend!

2. Save $300. If you have a mini, it is painfully easy to connect it to your TV. Sure you can open stuff with a mouse and junk, but why the hassle? Now, it looks cool, is easy to control, and can connect all your iTunes computers into one library (thats 3 for me). Plus the satisfaction of saying "look my Mini is soooo cool that it is TWO devices!" :P

3. Pure fun of hacking. Everyone likes/wants to get there hands dirty in stuff, and nothing calls your name more if you're a geek then hacking. Lets get it out right now, hacking can be fun, it's fun doing what you aren't supposed to do. Like shining the laser pointer in your friends eye, running WoW on your aTV makes you happy (for some reason :thumbsup_anim: ) Also, getting your name known is also pretty cool. I'm pretty sure thats what drove this so quickly, the pure fame of being the first to hack an aTV!

I use it for 2 :P

Mr. Bond, tweaking AppleTV does sound like a great thing to do but I was assuming that would be better done on the AppleTV hardware itself.

I'm just wondering why someone would install AppleTV on a entire PC and leave the pc next to the TV simply and only to use it as an AppleTV.

What more I see less use on having the AppleTV PC connected to a ordinary monitor. What's the point on having AppleTV on a 19", 20", 24" monitor?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Mr. Bond, tweaking AppleTV does sound like a great thing to do but I was assuming that would be better done on the AppleTV hardware itself.

I'm just wondering why someone would install AppleTV on a entire PC and leave the pc next to the TV simply and only to use it as an AppleTV.

What more I see less use on having the AppleTV PC connected to a ordinary monitor. What's the point on having AppleTV on a 19", 20", 24" monitor?

Anyone have any thoughts?

if you have more than one pc and dont care about the size of it and have hdmi/dvi capable monitors/tv's id think your set. (if you video card is capable that is)

but ATM we can get any input control over the aTV on pc, but we are workin on it...

Found a torrent on demo yesterday (in this moment I'm writing it's gone...)which is a 118,4 MB in dimension and it is a .dmg

It was claimed to be the AppleTv os jst patched.

When I mount it , starts asking the password , maybe is intended the keyboard combiantion or something like that ??

And Im not able to open the image (I mean no show the packages..)

..any suggestion...

EDIT: OK , the right one is on pirate and is the one 137MB large.

I'll agree Aceplayer, putting this on a pc is sorta wasteful. The only thing that could be gained is a better understanding of how they used SSE2 and completely removed SSE3. Personally, although I have several old laptops capable of running osx86 I'd rather just pony up the $300 on an appleTV and put osx on those laptops. but that's me and i'm just one person...

I'll agree Aceplayer, putting this on a pc is sorta wasteful. The only thing that could be gained is a better understanding of how they used SSE2 and completely removed SSE3. Personally, although I have several old laptops capable of running osx86 I'd rather just pony up the $300 on an appleTV and put osx on those laptops. but that's me and i'm just one person...

Exactly.

It would only make sense to put AppleTV on maybe a 5 year old system that you have absolutely no need for what soever. But then again if that can support AppleTV then it can support OSX. So in my opinion OSX wins every time.

The only benefit I see in exploring AppleTv's capabilities is to tweak the OS on the actual AppleTV hardware.