• This topic is locked This topic is locked
234 replies to this topic

fairaghi

fairaghi

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
Thanks a lot for the details. I'll try this evening, now I'm at work...

Bearcat

Bearcat

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
Hello All, Thanks for the info.

I can confirm that my T40 now has wireless working with my TendNet 401PCPlus pcmcia card.

Using the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.4, I modified the broadcom plist to include 4320.

In addition to the previous instructions, I also had to delete:

/System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.kextcache
/System/Library/Extensions/Extensions.mkext

rebooted, and an Airport Wireless card was recognized.

Thanks All,
Happy Camper.

antic

antic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Cheesecake,
Thanks from me too. Followed your instruction and Iv'e got wireless using a Belikin F5d7000 PCI card using the broadcom chipset.j

fallingup

fallingup

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I bought the 1450 card working, only problem is, 10.4.3 doesnt support my onboard lan, so my airport is seen as a onboard lan, and i cant use the aiport config tool to connect to my router, it doesnt broadcast the ssid and it uses wpa (my room mate is a bit paranoid). I tried using istumbler to configure it, but i cant use wpa with it for some reason...weird.

ohpossum

ohpossum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

I bought the 1450 card working, only problem is, 10.4.3 doesnt support my onboard lan, so my airport is seen as a onboard lan, and i cant use the aiport config tool to connect to my router, it doesnt broadcast the ssid and it uses wpa (my room mate is a bit paranoid). I tried using istumbler to configure it, but i cant use wpa with it for some reason...weird.

http://forum.osx86pr...indpost&p=40054

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Cheesecake - You mentioned that the 10.4.4 kext supported the Truemobile 1300, though with the 4320 dev ID. I have a 1300 and have followed the instructions, airport extreme is now found, but I am unable to configure the airport or anything else. Any suggestions, do you think that it is because my 1300 wireless is based on the 4306 chipset? Thanks for any help.

keeshond

keeshond

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Download 10.4.4 extensions (search forum), extract and find IO80211Family.text/contents/plugins/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext/contents/info.plist

Edit from
<array>
<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
<string>pci14e4,4312</string>
<string>pci14e4,4324</string>
</array>

to

<array>
<string>pci14e4,4311</string>
<string>pci14e4,4320</string>
</array>

save and drag IO80211Family.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/

In Terminal,
sudo -s
chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions
chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions
kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions
reboot

Open Network in System Preference after reboot, you should get surprise, good luck.

I've got my 4318 card working with the same setting accept it is <string>pci14e4,4318</string> in stead of <string>pci14e4,4320</string>. OsX86 10.4.3.

Thanx for this great tip!

---------------------------------------
Tried to internet with the thing. It completely hangs. Gonna try some other things. It makes a connection though, so that's a good start.

Edited by keeshond, 17 January 2006 - 07:34 PM.

christophsky

christophsky

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Does anyone with a 4320 or 4318 experience problems when coming out of "sleep" mode (doesn't really sleep, just spins down the hdd and processor)? When I try to resume from sleep mode, the card cannot find any access points. I think this is probably due to only partial ACPI support.

Is there a way to turn off and then turn on the cardbus service? Something akin to the "cardctl eject/insert" command in unix would be excellent, and it might be a useful workaround to restore wireless connectivity upon coming back from sleep mode.

guilliamo

guilliamo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

I've got my 4318 card working with the same setting accept it is <string>pci14e4,4318</string> in stead of <string>pci14e4,4320</string>. OsX86 10.4.3.

Thanx for this great tip!

---------------------------------------
Tried to internet with the thing. It completely hangs. Gonna try some other things. It makes a connection though, so that's a good start.

Well, we ARE getting closer, but I'm probably having the same problem trying to actually USE Airport. After installing the IO80211Family.kext and rebooting, my PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 (Broadcom 4320) shows up in the PCI section of ASP. See attached. However, any attempt to access or configure (including just looking at the Airport section of ASP) starts a process labeled "576 configd" in Activity Monitor which takes 99.8% of CPU.

The only way I've found out of this is to do a hard restart and go in to safe mode and delete the patched IO80211Family.kext. Has anyone actually gotten Airport working ? If so, what am I missing ?

Thanks
:(
G

Native 10.4.3/ 8F1111a/g, Intel D915GAG, P4 630 (3 GHz), 2GB DDR Ram, PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 (Broadcom 4320)Attached File  Aiport_in_8F1111.png   111.65KB   773 downloads

antic

antic

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Well, we ARE getting closer, but I'm probably having the same problem trying to actually USE Airport. After installing the IO80211Family.kext and rebooting, my PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 (Broadcom 4320) shows up in the PCI section of ASP. See attached. However, any attempt to access or configure (including just looking at the Airport section of ASP) starts a process labeled "576 configd" in Activity Monitor which takes 99.8% of CPU.

The only way I've found out of this is to do a hard restart and go in to safe mode and delete the patched IO80211Family.kext. Has anyone actually gotten Airport working ? If so, what am I missing ?

Thanks
:D
G

Native 10.4.3/ 8F1111a/g, Intel D915GAG, P4 630 (3 GHz), 2GB DDR Ram, PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 (Broadcom 4320)Attached File  Aiport_in_8F1111.png   111.65KB   773 downloads

guilliamo,
Your profile is showing up exactly the same as mine.

This is how I configured mine.

1. Click on the Airport sign on the menubar
2. Select "Airport On"
3. Click on the Airport sign again. then select " Open Internet Connect" on the menu
4. Select the Network you want to connect to on the dropdown menu. Its possible that it may have already defaulted to whats available.
5. After selecting the network you want it may ask for a password Key. I had mine set to 128 bit WEP. after entering this I gained access to the network.

I dont know if this is of any use to you but it worked for me.

guilliamo

guilliamo

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

guilliamo,
Your profile is showing up exactly the same as mine.

This is how I configured mine.

1. Click on the Airport sign on the menubar
2. Select "Airport On"
3. Click on the Airport sign again. then select " Open Internet Connect" on the menu
4. Select the Network you want to connect to on the dropdown menu. Its possible that it may have already defaulted to whats available.
5. After selecting the network you want it may ask for a password Key. I had mine set to 128 bit WEP. after entering this I gained access to the network.
I dont know if this is of any use to you but it worked for me.

Antic: Thanks. I'll try it again tonite...will be my 4th try, but perhaps there is something peculiar in which sequence you do what. Is there anything special about your install that may be different ? I installed 10.4.3 (8F1111) from DVD with JAS's ppf patch, and then used Maxxus' installer to get to 8F1111a/g.

I DID boot back into 10.4.1 (8G1025) and the card does still work there fine (with patched AppleAirPort2 kext).

Thanks again & I'll post again after another try!

:weight_lift:

G

ZeeGee

ZeeGee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks
:sorcerer:
G

Did you try using the command line program "airport" to associate with some essid? That won't survive a reboot, but it is the only way that I can get my PCI Belkin F5D7000 v2 working in 10.4.1

prince2k

prince2k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi all!

I also got this working on my Dell Inspiron 9100 with the 1350 mini-PCI card. This is my first post here and this is the first thing I do with my brand new connection. I got 10.4.3 working just today - and I have never used it for more than 15 min at a time before - so i'm thrilled to have it up and running.

Thanks alot CheeseCake!

bobbywan

bobbywan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Cheesecake OMG! It works!

Complete NOOB here at my wits end and then i tried your instructs above. I even guessed at what Broadcom chip thing i have. Got it on my first guess. Wasn't hard to figure out in Windows (went to device manager and found my wireless card and read a string that had 4318 in it and figured thats what i have). Anyway, here are the facts:

-Gateway MX6030 Notebook
-Broadcom 4318
-used the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.4
-added an extra string like you mentioned above but instead I added 4318 instead of 4320.
-did all the Terminal stuff that i didn't understand (kept asking for some password that i ignored. ha!)
-rebooted and the card was discovered as Airport.
-i'm on my home WEP encryption. had to change it to WEP 40/128-bit hex (like i always do with powerbooks).

Now I'm on my way to making this my main OS (keyboard,screen resolution are next). I've been on Mac OS since 6.0 and I'm glad to welcome OSX to my home once again! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

QQFan

QQFan

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you guys

My Linksys WMP54G PCI wireless card is working with 10.4.4 IO80211Family.kext

Hardware Id under windows is
PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_4320&SUBSYS_00131737&REV_03

To be honest I don't which version is my WMP54G, how can I check?

tonyl

tonyl

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
That's great, my dell 1350 is working in 10.4.3 with 10.4.4 IO80211Family.kext, Thanks!

digitalkid

digitalkid

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Ok I been wrackin my brains for hours trying to get this to work. I KNOW I have a broadcom 1450 wireless card in my laptop, and I've downloaded the .kext's that were posted. As I continue to re-read the entire thread over and over.. I keep seeing people say, they've gotten their wireless cards to work without any kext modifications. And other posters that said they replaced certain kext's and got it to work. I have several questions.

First off, what is the proper way to install a .kext? I get an error message sayin I may have improperly installed the IO80211Family.kext, can you give me the exact string of text I need to enter into terminal?

And secondly, after you edit the plist, did you just reboot and get this wireless card to work? Can somebody please make a full step by step guide, or just explain very clearly the steps needed from a fresh install, to adding any .kext's, and modifying any text strings, down to the commands you type into terminal.

I think I'm doing something wrong, somewhere. I need help. Thanks ;)

Bos

Bos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
It works!!!

BCM4306 wireless card with 10.4.3 1111g using 10.4.4 extension.

Basically, I followed CheeseCake's instruction and instead of changing it to 4320, I changed it to 4306 and it magically works!!!

Thanks a million CheeseCake!!!

fugazzz

fugazzz

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
I can confirm this working for me:

Compaq NC6000 w/ Linksys WPC54GSv3
Running 10.4.3 and the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.4 Extensions - modded with pci14e4,4318

Been reading and working on getting wireless support all day - actually went and bought this card this morning (already had the WPC54Gv2) and was getting discouraged until I got to the last two pages of this thread!

Thanks again to everyone for thier hard work and patience!

Off to find the fix for the next issue :offtopic:

Allistah

Allistah

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
I am also running 10.4.3 8f1111 and I just got my Dell TrueMobile 1450 today. I popped it in, grabbed the IO80211Family.kext from the 10.4.4 Extensions and it detected it and I connected up to my network.

The only thing that I don't think is working is the signal strength meter. Anyone know how to get that working?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy