Make Apple TV OS run on a regular PC?

Artistan

149 posts in this topic

Did apple use semthex's emulator in appletv?

no because the way it is shipped, appleTV has no programs needing sse3, hence not putting it in the kernel.

its a slimmed down custom install just tailored for that machine.

After reading through all these posts, I can't find anyone that has had/is having the same problem as I am. I got the image loaded and working on my MB, but I want to get aTV working on my hackintosh. I loaded everything into the correct location, but when I try to load the app, it looks like it loads, then immediately throws me back to the desktop in a different resolution than what I stated with. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

After reading through all these posts, I can't find anyone that has had/is having the same problem as I am. I got the image loaded and working on my MB, but I want to get aTV working on my hackintosh. I loaded everything into the correct location, but when I try to load the app, it looks like it loads, then immediately throws me back to the desktop in a different resolution than what I stated with. Any suggestions on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

A little more detail might be helpful. Perhaps a log of some sort?

I am trying to use aTV like a Front Row that I will hook up to my TV. I am using DsurioN's method, replacing the existing Front Row with the patched files. This method worked fine on my MB, but when I try to run the aTV on my hackintosh, the app looks like it's about to launch then quickly closes without any error messages or anything. Should I look at giving aTV it's own partition on my hackintosh and try booting it that way?

DeviantOne ... I had the same problem on my hackintosh, and repairing permissions fixed it for me. I can now get it to launch, and I get the main menu, I just have no control over the interface. I'm hoping that someone gets an AIR CLICK RF remote to work with this app.

Thanks for the info, I'll reinstall and repair permissions. As far as your problem with being able to control aTV, over at hackint0sh they've released a IR emulator. I haven't installed it myself, but everyone is saying it works well. The topic is under Apple TV and it's called Apple IR Emulator. Hopefully that will work for you.

EDIT: No luck on the repairing the permissions. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the info, I'll reinstall and repair permissions. As far as your problem with being able to control aTV, over at hackint0sh they've released a IR emulator. I haven't installed it myself, but everyone is saying it works well. The topic is under Apple TV and it's called Apple IR Emulator. Hopefully that will work for you.

EDIT: No luck on the repairing the permissions. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

I got to work yesterday, and I can confirm that WORKS, but only with keyboard for now.

I´ve been test both mira and remote buddy, doent work, CANT control anything.

regards,

Ok, so I made a little head-way. After reinstalling from scratch, I am able to see the into aTV movie, but then the app crashes. It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem; I've tried installing the IR emulator from Hackint0sh.org, but nothing has worked so far. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Ok, so I made a little head-way. After reinstalling from scratch, I am able to see the into aTV movie, but then the app crashes. It looks like I'm not the only one with this problem; I've tried installing the IR emulator from Hackint0sh.org, but nothing has worked so far. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks in advance.

Deviant0ne,

This is because ur media folder is looking for disk0s4... Apply media patch to change your media folder location.

regards,

Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue...

I was able to get aTV working, and I can control it with the IRKeyboardEmu.kext from hackint0sh.org, but the app doesn't always launch. Sometimes I have to launch it 5 or 6 times before it actually starts working. Most of the time, I will just get the intro movie, then the app crashes and I have to relaunch. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Also, I've applied the Media folder hack, but I've noticed my HD changes from disk0s1 to disk1s1 from time to time, anyone know what the deal is with that? Again, thanks in advance...

Just wondering if anyone else has the same issue...

I was able to get aTV working, and I can control it with the IRKeyboardEmu.kext from hackint0sh.org, but the app doesn't always launch. Sometimes I have to launch it 5 or 6 times before it actually starts working. Most of the time, I will just get the intro movie, then the app crashes and I have to relaunch. Any ideas on how to fix this? Thanks in advance for any advice...

Also, I've applied the Media folder hack, but I've noticed my HD changes from disk0s1 to disk1s1 from time to time, anyone know what the deal is with that? Again, thanks in advance...

Has anyone put together a how-to on hackintoshes? Besides the first post, do we need front row installed? How about the whole watchdog issue and 'sedation'? I'm just really looking forward to this, and i haven't been able to find a sure answer...

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone put together a how-to on hackintoshes? Besides the first post, do we need front row installed? How about the whole watchdog issue and 'sedation'? I'm just really looking forward to this, and i haven't been able to find a sure answer...

That's a good idea. :( I have Front Row installed on my hackintosh, but so many files to put in so many places....i don't even know where to find this Finder.app from the appletv and patch everyone's talking about.

I just thought of something....could Windows run on Apple TV?

Are you serious?!?! seriously...think about that for about 5 seconds. Could Windows run a OS X app. Just think...im sure it will come to you eventually.....but if I were you, I would edit that post and remove that question and keep your good name intact.

he means natively running on the apple tv hardware. not windows running the apple tv software.

he means natively running on the apple tv hardware. not windows running the apple tv software.

yes correct. lol check the date to the left. I've been here over a year :( I mean it should be able to since it does use Intel Pentinum. Of course NO ONE would ever consider such a thing, but it's a hypothetical "can it be done" question.

• 2 weeks later...

just FYI.. if you have trouble getting a hacked appletv to stream video which you think should be supported... install the latest perian beta :2cents:

worked for me. (ok, im a dumbass).

My progress is below;

I have installed 2 frameworks then I installed patched front row ( finder ) in to core services than it quitted just after show the fameous start up screen.

Next I front row app from crimson's dmg installed into coreservices, then I saw start ap screen than I saw I tunes code screen.

Since I did not have a remote controller I installed BHolland's IRkeyboardEMU but no luck to control there after to be able to quit I installed a mouse mapper.

So does anyone has something / Some instructions of how to control it ?

Best regards,

• 1 month later...

bump.

Still looking for a good method to control the interface via the Apple Remote. The IR Keyboard Emu seems a bit klugey--it controls every OS X app that is behind the AppleTV interface once ATV is started. Guess I need to play with that some more...

Also has anyone been able to get a full screen view of the ATV/backrow interface? I have an ATV screen that takes up about 2/3 of my 1366 x 768 HDTV monitor...