Input Remapper 1.0.03 Release

Beliyaal

27 posts in this topic

Input Remapper 1.0.03 has been released!

For full functionality please remove Boot Camp 1.1.x keyboard drivers or if you are using Boot Camp 1.2.

2007-03-24 - Version 1.0.03 Release

* Fixed: Drivers using paged code in wrong place BSODs.

* Fixed: Vista BSOD when logging out possibly resolved.

* Fixed: Input Remapper no longer steals input focus in login prompt.

* Fixed: Pipe deadlock when recording a new binding in "Configure".

* Fixed: Eject key detection.

* Fixed: Eject key stops working after pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete or changing desktop any other way.

* Note: Should not be used together with another tool that uses the SMC such as MacBook Tray Tools because of conflicts with accessing the SMC at the same time.

* Note: Automatic dimming is not perfect and needs some delays and tweaks in a future version.

* Note: Apple keyboard drivers should be uninstalled.

* Note: If screen brightness and keyboard backlight controls seems to not be working try holding the keys down longer.

Keys bound on MacBook Pro

* The default keypad like in OSX. This includes num-lock functionality

* fn+Left Click = Right Click

* fn+Backspace = Delete

* fn+Eject = PrintScreen

* fn+F1 = Decrease Brightness

* fn+F2 = Increase Brightness

* fn+F3 = Toggle Mute

* fn+F4 = Decrease Volume

* fn+F5 = Increase Volume

* fn+F6 = Toggle Num-Lock

* fn+F8 = Toggle Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F9 = Decrease Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F10 = Increase Keyboard Backlight

* fn+F11 = Media Play

* fn+F12 = Media Stop

* fn+Up = Page Up

* fn+Down = Page Down

* fn+Left = Home

* fn+Right = End

* fn+Ctrl+Alt+Backspace = Ctrl+Alt+Delete

* Eject = Eject all optical discs

* Enter = Right Click

Any questions, requests, or bug reports should be made in this thread. Thanks!

InputRemapper_1_0_03_Release.exe

This is a bug fix release that brings Input Remapper 1.0 out of beta.

This version is working well for me, too. No crashes and it is doing everything I want. The "Eject CD" functionality in the Wizard doesn't work, so I had to learn how to use the Configure... dialog. I'm glad I did...now I have the EXACT setup I want. Automatic keyboard backlight and screen dimming are working well for me.

Two suggestions for UI improvement:

1) Fix Eject CD in the wizard, it currently sets Print Screen instead. Also, it would be nice if the wizard showed the current settings instead of the defaults.

2) Add a virtual full-sized keyboard to allow mapping to a key that isn't available on the laptop keyboard. (Scroll lock, for example).

Neither of these is a big deal...the utility is in very good shape at this point.

Thanks so much!

This version is working well for me, too. No crashes and it is doing everything I want. The "Eject CD" functionality in the Wizard doesn't work, so I had to learn how to use the Configure... dialog. I'm glad I did...

See, I'm having that exact same problem. So now the darn Bootcamp CD is stuck in my drive, and I refuse to rightclick and select eject now that I've got such a purdy eject button (which used to work before my driver upgrade).

Could you tell me how you did this?

How do I set the eject key (F13, right?) to eject? I've tried everything that seemed logical but I've missed it so far :(

I'm curious. Is the source code for Input Remapper available for download anywhere? Why is it not already on SourceForge?

I have not released the source code, mainly because I use a proprietary library that I don't have the ability to release.

See, I'm having that exact same problem. So now the darn Bootcamp CD is stuck in my drive, and I refuse to rightclick and select eject now that I've got such a purdy eject button (which used to work before my driver upgrade).

How do I set the eject key (F13, right?) to eject? I've tried everything that seemed logical but I've missed it so far :)

The wizard for the eject key work. What doesn't work is the setting for the fn+F13. That is if I have understood the problem correctly.

:)

Great piece of work done here, installed yesterday, happy winmac/macwin user today on MacBook Core duo Black with fully updated win xp2, but,

- Wi-fi connection simply disapeaered and

- Microphone not functional,

both running ok on Macosx

Where could i find these drives again ?

The wizard for the eject key work. What doesn't work is the setting for the fn+F13. That is if I have understood the problem correctly.

I've never had the wizard correctly set the "Eject CD" functionality, even with the default settings in the wizard. I always have "Print Screen" in the confuration created by the wizard where "Eject CD" should be.

How do I set the eject key (F13, right?) to eject? I've tried everything that seemed logical but I've missed it so far :rolleyes:

OK...first things first...If you have the BootCamp CD in, I'm guessing you installed the apple drivers. Good move, but now your need to get rid of their keyboard drivers, which completely disable Input Remapper. Beliyaal has posted instructions for removing the Apple Keyboard drivers here.

Ok..once that is done, reboot, and then check to see if your problem has been solved.

If not, you need to set up the eject key functionality. Here are the steps:

Click the Input Remapper notification tray icon and choose "Configure..."

Find the heading "Remappings", subheading "MackBook Pro", subheading "40: Normal | Ignore all keys"

There is probably an entry in there that says "F13(1) | Mouse/Keyboard Generate (PrtSrn)", right click on that entry, and select "Delete Action".

Ok, now we can create the correct action...Right click on ""40: Normal | Ignore all keys" and select "Create new key binding"

A dialog pops up asking you to hit the key, press the eject button (F13).

Another dialog asks you "Remap to Type", select "CD Manipulation". Press OK.

Another dialog asks you the action...the default (and only choice) is "Eject CD". Press OK.

That's it...close the "Configure..." box.

Thanks for the walkthrough, but I found that it's already set to F13(1) | CD: Eject

But for some reason it's not doing anything. Mapping Enter to Del works, so I can get to the task manager now, but brightness controls, volume controls, none of those work.

MacBook, Win XP SP2, worked before, with both the apple keyboard manager on as well as input remapper, but now it doesn't work in ANY combination ;)

Th fn key doesn't work for me when I use this configuration for the left keys:

fn, Win, alt, ctrl

It works just fine when it's set like this:

Win, fn, alt, ctrl

I'm loving the two finger trackpad functions, THANK YOU for adding them. My only other request would be the ability to disable the trackpad when a mouse is present... the huge trackpads on these machines are really hard for me not to bump while typing.

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 on a 15" Macbook Pro.

Thanks!

dB

Th fn key doesn't work for me when I use this configuration for the left keys:

fn, Win, alt, ctrl

It works just fine when it's set like this:

Win, fn, alt, ctrl

I'm loving the two finger trackpad functions, THANK YOU for adding them. My only other request would be the ability to disable the trackpad when a mouse is present... the huge trackpads on these machines are really hard for me not to bump while typing.

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 on a 15" Macbook Pro.

Thanks!

dB

Same problem here, running MBP 15" Vista Ent. Swapped the Cltr and FN key and things worked. This app is sweet! lets keep it going.

If not, you need to set up the eject key functionality. Here are the steps:

Thanks for the instructions, finally my Eject key works again!

It would be great if this could be fixed in the Keyboard Wizard though.

Thanks for a great program!

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone else have a buggy trackpad with this release? I have been having intermittent problems for a couple weeks now. When I use the trackpad, sometimes it stops responding on one or both axes. Sometimes the cursor makes random jumps while I'm moving it around on the trackpad, and sometimes it jitters and moves all over the place when I'm not touching the trackpad at all, and the only way to make it stop is to play with the trackpad until I regain control.

At first I thought my trackpad was already going bad, but I never have these (or any other trackpad related) problems when I'm running OS X. Installing this version seems to coincide roughly with the time I started noticing the issue, and it's the only thing I can think of that I've changed on the Windows side that could be affecting the trackpad. Anyone else have similar experiences or any advice at all?

I'd still also love an option to disable the insanely large trackpad when a mouse is plugged in. I simply cannot seem to learn to keep my hands clear of it while typing, and my computer is hardly new at this point, so I don't think I'll ever get totally used to it.

Thanks for all your work Beliyaal, Windows on mac would be a huge pain in the ass without your software.

dB

Anyone else have a buggy trackpad with this release? I have been having intermittent problems for a couple weeks now. When I use the trackpad, sometimes it stops responding on one or both axes. Sometimes the cursor makes random jumps while I'm moving it around on the trackpad, and sometimes it jitters and moves all over the place when I'm not touching the trackpad at all, and the only way to make it stop is to play with the trackpad until I regain control.

At first I thought my trackpad was already going bad, but I never have these (or any other trackpad related) problems when I'm running OS X. Installing this version seems to coincide roughly with the time I started noticing the issue, and it's the only thing I can think of that I've changed on the Windows side that could be affecting the trackpad. Anyone else have similar experiences or any advice at all?

I'd still also love an option to disable the insanely large trackpad when a mouse is plugged in. I simply cannot seem to learn to keep my hands clear of it while typing, and my computer is hardly new at this point, so I don't think I'll ever get totally used to it.

Thanks for all your work Beliyaal, Windows on mac would be a huge pain in the ass without your software.

dB

I have not had any problems with the trackpad with the latest boot camp drivers. Are you running boot camp 1.2?

I can't remember what version my bootcamp drivers are, because I don't run bootcamp. I needed a separate FAT32 partition on my main drive that could be accessed from either OS, so I partitioned them using mac's diskutil, and then installed all the bootcamp hardware drivers from a CD I created with bootcamp assistant before I created the extra partition, just as if I had used bootcamp to handle the partition.

Is there a way to see which version my drivers are, and if so, is there a way to make a new driver CD even though bootcamp assistant won't burn a new one for me? If I try to make a new driver CD, bootcamp assistant tells me it can't be run on my drive, most likely because it has three partitions already.

Thanks for the fast response!

dB

I can't remember what version my bootcamp drivers are, because I don't run bootcamp. I needed a separate FAT32 partition on my main drive that could be accessed from either OS, so I partitioned them using mac's diskutil, and then installed all the bootcamp hardware drivers from a CD I created with bootcamp assistant before I created the extra partition, just as if I had used bootcamp to handle the partition.

Is there a way to see which version my drivers are, and if so, is there a way to make a new driver CD even though bootcamp assistant won't burn a new one for me? If I try to make a new driver CD, bootcamp assistant tells me it can't be run on my drive, most likely because it has three partitions already.

Thanks for the fast response!

dB

You can find the .dmg image by doing "Open folder contents" on the "Boot Camp Assistant". Just look for an image that is big enough to be the driver CD.

I found the dmg file but couldn't figure out what version it was from the file... perhaps if I were to burn it I suppose. I'm about 80% sure it's 1.2, because I recently reinstalled Windows and seem to remember something about updated drivers for the IR remote, etc.

Anyway, regardless of what version my Bootcamp drivers are, I seem to have solved my trackpad response problem, by changing the speed in Input Remapper. I had it set to 1.6 before, but now I have it set to 1.0 and I use the Windows mouse control panel to increase the speed. It's not exactly the same motion as in OS X, but it's close, and the bad response seems to have vanished.

dB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi

just upgraded to bootcamp 1.3 on my MBP and works fine i hawee the pretty vloume show on scren and brightnes eject shows on screen ..

-but i goth one problem and i hope it can be solved...befor With bootcamp1.2 and imputremaper 1.0.3 i had the function keys vorking just fine and i could ajust the scree til TURN of my BACKLIGHT with function keys...wich is good while im downloading at night ....( newer turn my mac off ) soo it was aa great function...now i cant do the animore :thumbsup_anim:

I m hopeing is a workaraund on this problem...couse i would like to be updated..but i would like to use it my imput remapper as i use to befor ....

if any idea..anibodei...i would really aprichhiate it...

sory for my bad english..

paceeeeeeee

rG :D