remove drm from itunes movies

6 posts in this topic

At the moment, there does not appear to be a way to do so in an efficient manner.

However, I have been looking at a possible method using the build of iTunes and Quicktime from 9a303 (if I remember correctly) as it had the ability to play back the VIDEO from purchased video files without being pre-authorized. Audio was missing at all times though. If that build number is incorrect, it should be pretty easy to track down as it was when we had Quicktime 7.2 and were still stuck in iTunes 6 land.

This would seem to imply that either Apple's Video DRM protects solely the Audio and not the Video; however all of this is conjecture based on very limited evidence and NO real research.

This was reproducable on a Powerbook G4 17" (Final Generation), and I have seen it happen 3 times after clean installations.

I have not had enough time to investigate this, however I believe that there may be something there.

I do not currently have the old 303 build sitting around anywhere, and it has already been dumped from ADC (Earliest listed now is 321).

That's really interesting, Adrian. It would make sense for them to protect the audio only - they have experience with that sort of DRM, and a video isn't too great without the sound.

at one time you could use imovie to import a video and then export it, but apple figured that one out and disabled it. now, the only option is to use a screen capture utility like snapz pro x or screen mimic or something similar. ahh well.