How to speed up OS X in VMware?

8 posts in this topic

Hi all,

i'v just finished installation of 10.4.8 under VMware 6 beta, but it is really slow. But it is not problem of my PC (2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM,...). Once i have downloaded one compleate vmware machine and it was running really well. What i must set up to speed up my machine?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

There are a few things you should do:

Disable debugging mode in VMware (as others have said).

Remove unneeded hardware in the VM config (floppy, usb, sound, whatever)

Go into the VM's BIOS and disable the floppy and serial ports

You can play with the VM guest OS type too.. Common choices are WinNT, Linux, or FreeBSD. I have the best results with FreeBSD.

Always boot in safe mode in VMware. This prevents loading all manner of extensions that you won't be using anyhow.

It still isn't going to be blazingly fast, mind you.. maybe it will be good enough for what you want.

If you want a really fast MacOSX to demo to your friends in VMware, use the deadmoo image. It is an older MacOSX that is essentially useless now, but it screams in VMware.

Some people have had success using the "platform=X86PC" flag when booting up in VMWare.

Yes, this won't speed anything up though, as I understand it.. platform=X86PC just turns off the ACPI support in the Darwin kernel. However, having experimented with this.. I've yet to find it to actually work. My AppleACPIPlatform.kext is loaded no matter what.

YMMV.

-gnubeard