Is Leapord Turning into Vista

MacVertigo

29 posts in this topic

It seems to me like Leapord is becoming as much hype as Vista was. Promised features, that don't seem to be in builds. More bugs then improvements in new builds.

I'm a huge apple supporter, but it needs to start showing some huge improvement.. and some progress if I'm going to believe that leapord is the next "big thing" in computing.

Well, these "top secret" features that Jobs wont tell us about must exist, since he's mentioned them in that conference that I can't remember the name of... <_>

Otherwise he's just been stringing us along. Which I doubt.

Vista was delayed for years, longhorn starting again from scratch (Win2k3) after a few. 10.5 has been delayed a few months. I'm only interested in a single feature, ZFS. QuartzGL (QE2D) will be nice however. From what I know of 10.5, it'll need secret features; most people don't know enough about ZFS to consider that a feature, let alone a colossal upgrade.

Oh yea, that's right, Apple does everything perfect. Get over it, maybe Apple's messing up a little, but the fanboys gotta spew that it's ok if apple does it, and that Apple must have something better, but when they don't thats ok too.

You sound like an idiot saying that Leopard will make Vista the past. Reality check, with closed to the hardware, Leopard will never come close to Vista, and you know it.

Apple has maintained that Leopard is shipping in the Spring. Spring "just" started this week so claims of them being late or Vista'like are a bit premature.

I don't know if we'll see anything HUGE with the Top Secret features. Honestly I'm beginning to think Steve has fallen into the trap of overhype again (Way beyond the rumor sites).

I'm liking the direction the Tiger. I want to see Resolution Independence work without much trouble, I want to see Quicktime have enough changes to warrant being called QT8. I want Spotlight and Automator to be more robust. I want iChat Theatre to totally rock. I want iCal, Addressbook and Mail to function in harmony like a trio.

Then everything else is just gravvy.

Oh yea, that's right, Apple does everything perfect. Get over it, maybe Apple's messing up a little, but the fanboys gotta spew that it's ok if apple does it, and that Apple must have something better, but when they don't thats ok too.

You sound like an idiot saying that Leopard will make Vista the past. Reality check, with closed to the hardware, Leopard will never come close to Vista, and you know it.

it seems like you are a bill gates fun...go to kiss his ass!! we know that Vista is something "new" but I think that all we waited for something more efficient and with less resources consumption but everything what we received is a thirsty beast of memory and CPU(babel fish traduction...im from argentina sorry :( ) why I would have to spend my resources in the operating system if what I need they are the applications? if only the operating system consumes 1gb of ram how much is for the rest of the applications?

I understand that Apple is not perfect but I believe that Apple worries more about the quality and its clients more than Microsoft.

I think that you are right when you say that leopard will never come close to Vista because something that has quality from its core never can get to be as bad as Vista!!!

I have proven Windows Vista and MacOS X Tiger(10.4.8) and between these two I stay with Tiger(in my celeron d 2.26ghz, 512mb ram and fx5200 qith qe/ci)

This thread is awesome.

All because Apple said Spring as apposed to everyone else's 1st Quarter, 2nd Quarter, 1st Half, 3rd Quarter, 4th Quarter, 4th Half projections that they use when releasing a product they are instantly LATE because we are 1 week into that 3 month period and don't have a final product sitting on our doorsteps.

Remember, Apple has 15 weeks where they CAN deliver 10.5 and still be inside of their projection.

They could have said 2nd Quarter if it would have made you feel better, but then it sounds like all they care about is their finances.

Apple WILL announce an official release date, it WILL be on shelves by June 11th (WWDC), and you WILL most likely just grab it from Oink 2-3 weeks before you can actually get it in stores.

Sure, it sucks that there are not weekly builds available for your consumption, but hell, Microsoft doesn't offer that either. BOTH companies offered Monthly releases.

So, calm down, take a hit of acid and sit back and watch your iTunes Visualizer for a while.

either were all going to be really disappointed or steve is gonna blow us all away. in the past, apple has, more often than not, completely surprised everyone by announcing some fantastic new feature that no one saw coming, and only on very few occasions have they managed to build up hype, only to fail to live up to it. the only thing i can think of that would truly be worthy of being a "top secret" feature AND satisfy all the hype leading up to leopards release would be windows exe files running natively (along the lines of darwine and crossover). that would explain the delays (just apple smoothing out the bugs in the internal builds), but knowing apple, it could be something completely different.

For now it don't look that they have any top secret feature, but apple show us on last keynote that development evolve into new stage "wow factor" "you must to amaze your users"

Function

Easy of use

Wow factor like in Time machine

I think that Apple go through they mission. And that is exciting

post-18084-1175273714_thumb.jpg

post-18084-1175273722_thumb.jpg

post-18084-1175273732_thumb.jpg

The only "delays" we have seen has been with the Monthly Seeds loosing their normal release cycle.

Some people call not having it at MacWorld a delay, but I knew not to expect it given the kinds of things I was seeing in the Monthly Seeds.

As far as whether not having Leopard on the first day of Spring, did anyone obviously believe that it would be the beginning of spring?

When is the last time you saw a company release something at the beginning of their release window?

I'm pretty sure I won't have to wait until the last week of spring before Leopard hits. Apple lately has been beatting their estimates for delivery. So I'm honestly thinking May 15th as a rough estimate. Apples policy has often been to eschew announcing a product unless it is ready for launch.

If I had my druthers I'd love to see Apple announce the "Top Secret" features at the event prior to NAB or very shortly afterwards. I'd like this followed by an immediate seed to the developers with the proper documentation and support on how to support the ,hopefully, "minor" changes to their apps to support the TS features.

That way Apple can target a mid May release for Leopard. Wishful thinking I know but rumor has it that Apple is delaying many applications for Leopard (iLife, iwork, Logic Pro 8)

Perhaps they should seed developers within the next week and get to announcing the TS features within a week here so that they can preview the Pro Apps running on a special build of Leopard on April 15th. They're running out of time.

So what that it's a few months delayed. At least we have a 18 month release cycle rather than a 4 year.... :P

It is not late, is it? Apple said that it's coming "this spring", and so it will be late only if it does not ship before June 21st. So, they still have almost three months to do it.

As for not releasing any seeds for a while, it just seems like the quiet before the storm. We'll probably get one soon as we haven't had one in a while, but I doubt it will have any "special features" or anything like that in it. If they only have to put out the bare minimum of leo for devs to work on, and keep the wow factor secret until their big day, then thats probably what their gonna do, makes sense to me. And when the world is totally amazed (hopefully) when it comes out it will just work to their advantage, having people excited about it, instead of everybody saying "we saw that coming ages ago, its nothing special" (*cough cough* vista *cough*)

As for being late releasing it, they still have plenty of time left, but releasing it later in spring is just getting us all hyped up even more about it possibly being late and not knowing anything about the special features and hearing all the rumors etc.

Hyped up excited customers spend more money..... marketing strategy or just mere coincidence? Apple have a marketing department too, even if people in marketing are the purest of pure evil.

C.

*Everyone* wants to be the one guy who wins the debate on a forum; it's pathetic!. Apple are doing what they do best; keeping things a secret, because they have market experience and sales techniques that make the Apple-buying public, DROOL. If you guys are so much better than Apple, at their own game, then I suggest you apply for Jobs' position... ROFL!!.

Wait til it comes out - stop trying to pre-empt everything guys. It is tedious and pathetic. Leopard will blow us all away, because it is an Apple product, and they rarely disappoint!!.

Mugs - all of you.

Windows Upgrades are single monolithic packages that drop every few years,

OSX upgrades are procedural updates that drop every 18 months or so.

Windows Upgrades focus on shifting the PC market to a new platform. New hardware is needed, new drivers are needed. New power requirements. That large amazing monitor you just bought? Worthless now.

OSX upgrades focus on a segue in compatibility ( something they learned from the 68K to PPC change in the first place. ) Offering new and impressive features and innovating designs while making sure all of your old stuff works (at least until the next upgrade).

I'm not biased, I use (and enjoy using) both. All I can say is that Steve Jobs said, back in February, that 2007 is going to be a completely different year for apple, and that the iPhone / apple TV / corporate name change were just the tip of the iceberg.

Apple works on a lot more than just their OS and macs. And Microsoft works on more than just Windows and Office. The difference is that the latter leaks information and the former doesn't.

No matter what, I think this year is going to be awesome for consumers. Welcome to 2007.