[HIRE] Install+Configure OSx86 on Laptop - South Michigan

3nigma

23 posts in this topic

Hey all,

Is there anyone who has or is interested in hiring out their service to install and configure a laptop to be a fully functioning OSx86 box?

Preferably an expert who knows what their doing, and won't turn the hardware into a paperweight 0=).

I am not ready immediately to accept offers, I don't have the laptop yet, but I am collecting data if this is a service that I could possibly utilize.

I am just south of Lansing, Michigan, and preferably would like to meet up with the person doing it, as well. I would be willing to drive up to many hours to meet up, if there's any local experts.

Thanks a bunch!

-3nigma

EDIT: Added my location to the subject line

I don't think anyone wants to meet with a stranger to do something that is technically illegal. This is also kind of disgusting because it cheapens this forum. People are here to learn about OS X, not help people steal it. If you're not willing to learn about the inner workings of the OS, go buy a Mac.

Conroe,

Thank you for that constructive insight, but it's a legitimate question. I am extremely interested in learning the inner-workings and tweaking it myself, but I know that I am not a professional, so I seek the guiding hand of someone with experience. We all know that it is technically illegaly, but that doesn't stop anyone on this forum from doing anything related to OSx86, including yourself. Everyone using OSx86 is stealing it, the entire forum is *centered* around it. People are here to learn about OS X, yes, but people here also inadvertently help people steal it. It's the nature of the beast. It's a moot point- the entire project is illegal.

By the way, I already own an iBook and a MacBook. This OSx86 project is on the side for fun.

I still am interested if there is anyone that would be able to help, though. This is just a natural step in the evolution of the project, that there is a demand for consumer-end interest in addition to just the hackers who started the project. I am proficient with computers, but I'm certainly no hacker (in the good sense of the word).

Thanks,

-3nigma

EDIT: One note to add... The founder of the forum, Swad, formerly known as Mash, has a sticky-thread in this "Marketplace" forum called "Important! How to buy/sell/trade" etc. In that post, he explicitly indicates the "[HIRE]" tag as one of the options of this forum. It is not out of line or "disgusting," or "cheapening" the forum to request this service. That was part of the original, outlined intent of the forum, as indicated by the founder. You should tread more lightly before trying to stomp on someone, it will save future embarrassments with putting your foot in your mouth.

Here are the specs on the laptop, for people interested in helping on this project. I have already received one PM of someone interested, so continue to let me know for those interested!

The hardware specs are currently hard to pin down, because the laptop that I am buying isn't coming out until the "end of next month," as I am told. I won't know the EXACT hardware specs until that time comes. However, here are the current model specs of the current model laptop. I am getting this same laptop, just with a 14" widescreen display. It may or may not have these exact specs, but here is some tentative data. I will update this as I receive more information on the true specs:

Lenovo (IBM) ThinkPad T60p

Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2.0 GHz 4MB L2, 667MHz FSB

2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)

100 GB 7200 HDD

ATI FireGL 5250 Graphics chipset, 256MB dedicated video RAM (based on the ATI x1700 card)*

Lenovo/IBM a/b/g/N WiFI (current OSx86 reports say this reads like a native Airport card, rather than the Intel wifi)

*This video card can also utilize up to an additional 256MB of the total system RAM and allocate it to video processing, thus reducing the overall system RAM to 1.7GB when used.

There are a handful of features that I would definitely want to be operational with this laptop, mostly the basic everyday usage things:

Stable, for everyday use.

Sleep/hibernate/wakeup

Speakers and audio output jack working

Microphone and audio input jack working

QE/CI working

Full resolution capabilities

As much video memory support as possible, including the 256MB capacity, and possibly the additional 256MB shared capabilities, although I understand that this probably would be difficult

iLife working fully, no crashing or bugginess

Possibly iSight/webcam support, if possible (has anyone done this yet?)

Networking with other computers/network is important

Everyday things: ripping music, editing home movies, surfing web, typing papers, watching DVDs, etc.

There has already been a crapload of work done by community members to make this all work, so I wouldn't need someone to do the project from scratch. It would just be faster if someone who knew what they were doing did it for me, rather than me n00bing it and taking weeks to get it right.

See link: http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=28200

Thanks again to those interested in helping! If possible, I would also like to collaborate with the person who could help. I want to learn as well, rather than have it all done for me. I am sure I will need to be resourceful in the future and learn how to fix things if they break, update and upgrade the software versions, etc. It would be cool to even meet up with someone and stay for a weekend or something to work on and learn it. Think of it as bringing the community even closer, than a distanced forum-only community, hehe =D.

I am located 20 minutes south of Lansing, Michigan, which is only about 1.5 hours above the Indiana / Ohio border. I am also only about 3.5 hours from the Chicago area, as well.

Thanks again, and let me know if interested! I will also post updates on the hardware specs as I get new information, and if the widescreen models change anything. There are rumors that this model may have the new Intel Santa Rosa chipset, and I also think I remember reading somewhere a while ago that Santa Rosa uses SSE4 instructions rather than SSE3, which may be a dealbreaker on that model. Do we have any other information on that, as well?

Thanks again,

-3nigma

Mash's description of the [Hire] tag is ambiguous at best. I agree with you that all people that build hackintoshes are stealing (well technically committing copyright infringement.) Yet, the idea of commisioning someone to do the work for you is something that I disagree with in principal (especially since the gain here is purely for personal monetary gain (savings?) rather than educational purposes.) Of course that doesn't mean that you cannot do it, but I also have the freedom to voice my opinion that I think it is detestable. I'm sure someone will help you, just as someone would help a horny man for the right price, but that doesn't change the principal. I would not put my foot in my mouth over any principal I hold.

Mash's description of the [Hire] tag is ambiguous at best.

You're right, Mash probably intended the [HIRE] tag to refer to other services, such as hiring someone for lawn care, or plumbing and such. Or dog grooming. That's right, we're supposed to go to the "Marketplace" on an OSx86 forum to post wanted ads for auto-repair. Right...

I agree with you that all people that build hackintoshes are stealing (well technically committing copyright infringement.)

You make that parenthetical note "(well technically committing copyright infringement.)" as if to correct my terminology of "stealing." However, when I used the term "stealing," I was quoting your own terminology from your own post. You are effectively correcting yourself.

Yet, the idea of commisioning someone to do the work for you is something that I disagree with in principal (especially since the gain here is purely for personal monetary gain (savings?) rather than educational purposes.)

How is the gain here "purely for personal monetary gain (savings?)" in any way whatsoever? How in the {censored} did you even come up with that? Did I ever say that I was doing this so I could turn around and sell this OSx86 laptop? Did I say that I was making money off of this in some way? Seriously, I have no clue where you got this from, this makes no sense whatsoever. This proves your fallacy in thinking about this topic entirely, holy smokes.

Of course that doesn't mean that you cannot do it, but I also have the freedom to voice my opinion that I think it is detestable.

You can think it's detestable, if you so please. Everyone has different principles. Just don't try and squelch someone else's freedom in the process of practicing your own freedom. If you think someone helping another person with their computer-tweaking is detestable, to each his own.

I'm sure someone will help you, just as someone would help a horny man for the right price.

Huh? So, you're saying.... Wait, seriously- whuh? You just correlated prostitution principles of right and wrong and someone helping another person with their computer? Read my previous comment about fallacy in logic, lol. I literally found something wrong with every single sentence in your post, all laid out, as seen above.

You give me sufficient reason to believe that you truly don't know what you're talking about. If you would be so kind, you don't have to clutter my [HIRE] thread with your thoughts. I respect your opinions, just please post them on a thread next to mine calling my thread detestable, rather than within it. It is much appreciated.

Yeah, Conroe, I really think you're overdoing it, here... really.

I completely disagree with the concept of OSx86 and all and I think that this is a fine idea - if 3nigma is getting the software himself, then why can't a person help him install it? And if they're going to spend so much time, why can't they be paid?

If you think OSx86 is illegal - why did you do it yourself?

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone..."

=) I don't think I'm overdoing anything. My comments have been very brief until now. I find it quite humorous and flattering that someone would get their panties in a twist over what is clearly a matter of principles. It shows that my comments have a very deep and resonating effect.

3nigma should be thankful because my posts are one of the only things that keep this thread alive and it is very good advertisement. Although, he said he has already found someone.

As for my response:

As for the [Hire] tag, people could be hired for any number of tasks. Lawn mowing is possible, but I would think it more likely that people would hire help for other things such as building a computer.

In my first note, the correction was indeed a correction of me, 3nigma, and a correction of a common misconception about software. Not all corrections are personal attacks and it was a strong assumption to think that my correction was motivated by malice.

The gain here is purely a monetary one. It is quite simple: You can't afford a Mac, so you're building one. There are chiefly three reasons in having a PC running OS X: The first is knowledge, the second money, the third is bragging rights.

This project is not about knowledge, but perhaps I have made an assumption about it being about money. If this project is "just for fun" as you insist, what fun is buying someone else to do the work for you? Since you claim to own Mac laptops, it seems to me that this project is just for bragging rights. Although I find it strange to brag about something someone else did for you.

Regarding my analogy to prostitution, I think it was a very clear illustration that principles don't always guide people in decision-making.

I'd like to say that I am not trying to squelch anyone's freedom. I was merely voicing my own opinion which I believe to be a perfectly fine thing to do. I hope my opinion has not squelched anyone's freedom. I assure you that I am vehemently opposed to slavery.

And finally, my three comments hardly qualify as clutter. If they were clutter, then your responses (which are much more long-winded) to my criticism qualify as a greater cluttering of the thread. The simplest way to stop the conversation is not to reply to this very post.

In response to Lostgame:

As for the illegality of OSX86, that is without question. If you have been attentive to the thread, I have never come out against OSX86. That would be quite silly.

My concern here is a matter of principle. Mainly that creating an OSX86 computer should be edifying, not simply a matter of money-saving or bragging rights. And certainly not a matter of paying money for bragging rights. That doesn't mean that people won't do it, but rather that I feel impelled to voice my opinion that I think it is detestable.

I'd help, seems like a great job for someone like me, i just happen to live in chicago and havent ever really installed OS X on a different system than a mac. but you have every right to do something like this, so dont be discouraged. its your money, do what you want with it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Oh Conroe, nobody agrees with you, just go away...

LOL.. I'd have to agree with 3nigma here.

Whether you're hiring someone to install OSx86 or installing it yourself, it's still technically illegal.. comparing either of these things to prostitution is a bit stretching it.

With that said, I don't see anything wrong with paying someone to help them install OSx86. Many people will try to install it and if it fails, just give up. If it gets installed correctly and things work, it'll generate more interest in it and generally the more people interested, the more help goes around in the community.

Not to be rude or anything, but why can't you do it yourself? This entire forum is built upon the handheld guides and knowledge of getting OSX on your PC easily. :/

Because I don't have the time to invest, unfortunately. I already have two Macs, for the same reason. If it were easy though, as you mention, we wouldn't have so much activity asking for help in the "Installation" section of the forums, hehe :( .

shucks! i work for beer and fried food when it comes to hooking people up! but i live in sacramento, california ;-)

Bummer we're so far apart! I love that California spirit, though :D . I would load you up with plenty of beer and fried food all the way around.

The graphics card on this Thinkpad in question is one of the bigger question-marks.

• 4 months later...

Hi Conroe,

Just stumbled onto this thread... Only because i've got a IBM/Lenovo T60 running OSX86!

I don't blame you mate for wanting help installing it if you havn't got the time/patience/knowledge!

Why not try installing it yourself, then calling on some help????

Just saying as I stuck in one of the uphuck versions and 15min had a perfectly booting and working osx machine....

Only one outstanding problem with mine is the wireless - which with a lenovo you might also get... Make sure they stick in a broadcom 4321 and not an intel 4965!

I'm having to get the intel swapped out for the atheros

I realize that this thread is rather old, but I thought I'd add something to the conversation. I think Conroe Mac was partly right that it's not a good idea to meet up with someone on here in real life for the purpose of paying them to install OSx86, but for a different reason than he said. Ethical questions aside, you simply don't know if the person you are meeting up with (on either side) could be someone representing Apple's legal department. While its not likely, it certainly would be possible for them to set up a trap like that just to make an example of this site and the people who visit here.

I also agree with conro, and i would like to take it a step farther. i am not sure but this seems like a place where some people might know of or remember when people were able to "hack" directv...anyone remember this? well the problem was not the few people who took the time and effort to learn the workings of making it possible and applying the hack, the problem was the people who enterprise it and provided the hack to those who did not, or were not capable of hacking it themselves. you see when that happened TOO many people had access and directv took note and shut the whole thing down. Apple will do the same (yes i realize this will take a few years to for them to accomplish).

BUT, Conros and my point remain valid, THIS is boarder line at best and hiring it out is bad for the community. Not to mention, osx86 did something wonderful for me and apple, i had experience with osx before but when macs all went to intel i replaced 3 machines with them. i think the point here is to run software build knowledge of the system and get the hardware and software setup that works best for you, before you might splurge on buying a mac pro, or what ever the case is for you.

• 3 weeks later...
...you simply don't know if the person you are meeting up with (on either side) could be someone representing Apple's legal department. While its not likely, it certainly would be possible for them to set up a trap like that just to make an example of this site and the people who visit here.

If that did happen though, and you were to get arrested, you could plead entrapment. Therein, they can't do that much to you.

I'm in nyc.... i would have done it for $$.... but , he should do it himself ( i know this thread is old, he might have done it already ) ... i am a poster boy noob and, i've done 2 with the help of this forum and its members.... and as far as the legality..... to hell with them ... steal everything that is not nailed/bolted down!!!!! :)